| A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z |
L. & W. — Unidentified. Flintlock Kentucky rifle.
L. A. B. — Unidentified. Flintlock Kentucky rifle of good workmanship.
L. G. & Y. — See Lamson, Goodnow & Yale.
L. N. D. — Script initials of Lewis N. Donham.
L. P.— Unidentified. Ornamented, percussion Kentucky rifle.
L.S. — Initials of Luther Sage, U. S. Inspector of Contract Arms, 1818 1823. Inspected arms in the plants of R. & J. D. Johnson, Lemuel Pomeroy, Simeon North, Nathan Starr, Asa Waters and Eli Whitney.
La Fevre, Philip—Gunsmith of Lancaster County, Pa. Born in Esopus, New York, about 1708, the son of Tsaac and Catherine La Fevre. The family migrated to Pequa Valley, Lancaster County, in 1712. Philip was active 1731-66.
LACAVE, C— Canton, Ohio, 1880-83.
LADD— 529 Kearney, San Francisco, Calif. Gunsmith, 1887.
LAETHER, Jacob — Also Leather, Leathers, Lether or Letter. York Pa., musket maker associated with Kunrat Welhance in a con tract of April 11, 1798, with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for 1,200 Charleville pattern muskets. July 11, 1801, proposed to furnish the State of Virginia with 4,000 stands of arms at £5-0-6, Pennsylvania currency per stand. Sept. 14th modified his bid to "same price as others who have offered" ($11.00 by Peter Brong, Abraham Henry and Henry Defuff). See also Lether & Co.
LAGOARGE, Bernard— 205 Washington St., San Francisco, Calif., 1856-60; 730 Washington, 1861-65. "Makes and repairs all kinds of arms." Had shooting gallery. Advertised in French also.
LAGUNBRA— Pennsylvania. Unidentified.
Lake Erie Chemical Co.—Now U. S. Ordnance Engineers, Inc., makers of gas guns and grenades. 5806 Hough Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio.
LAMB & ARMFIELD— Jamestown, Guilford Co., N. C. Makers of Kentucky rifles sold in western part of North Carolina, in Tennessee and Kentucky. Joseph S. Armfield of the firm was born in 1823 and died in 1884. He was a strong and outspoken Union sympathizer and suffered considerable hardships during the Civil War. The Lamb Armory during the war was operated by John J. Armfield, son of Joseph S. The armory discontinued production about six months before the end of the Civil War, and John J. Armfield was conscripted. He was taken prisoner two days before Lee's surrender and died in the Union prison at Point Lookout, a few days after Lincoln's assassination.
LAMB & SON — Southern makers of Kentucky rifles.
LAMB, A. & CO.— Jamestown, Guilford Co., N. C, about 1875. Makers of percussion rifles.
LAMB, A. & W. — Jamestown, Guilford County, N. C. Late flintlock period fullstock rifle without patchbox.
LAMB, H. C. & CO. — Two miles north of Jamestown, near Greens boro, N. C. Makers of Confederate Model 1841 type rifles, made without a patchbox. Contract of 1861 for 10,000 rifles for State of North Carolina. Small output.
LAMB, William— Deep River, N. C. About 1860.
LAMBE, Anderson — Bull Run Creek, N. C; also Deep River near Jamestown, Guilford Co., N. C, Civil War period and earlier. See A. Lambe & Co., Clark & Lambe. Percussion rifles.
Lamberson & Furman—Windsor, Vermont. Contractors to the U. S. for Model 1841 muskets. Produced Minie rifles and gun machinery for Great Britain during the Crimean War. Active 1849-58, before and after.
LAMBERT, George— Phila., Pa. Listed at 10 Green, in 1829.
LAMEY, M. — Unlocated. Early percussion Kentucky rifles.
LAMSON, E. G. & CO.— Windsor, Vt., about 1864-67. Manufacturers of Civil War arms, including Ball & Lamson carbines, 1,002 of which were purchased by the government, and of Palmer breech loading, cartridge carbines, patented Dec. 22, 1863, No. 41,017, 1,001 of which were bought by the War Department June 15, 1865, too late to be used in the Civil War. See Robbins & Lawrence.
Lamson, E. G.; Lamson & Co.—Windsor, Vt. Produced Hall, Palmer and other arms during the Civil War. The Palmer was the first metallic cartridge, bolt-action arm to be used by the U. S. Patent of William R. Pakner of New York, December 22, 1863, 1,000 were delivered to the government before the end of the war. Lamson exhibited two arms at the International Exposition at London, 1851. He also designed a conversion, muzzle-loading to breech-loading which failed in the government trials of 1867.
Lamson, Goodnow & Yale—Windsor, Vt.; Shclburn Falls, Mass.; New York City. Contractors to the government during the Civil War. On July 11, 1861, secured contract for 25,000 rifled Spring- field muskets and a second contract on October 7, 1861, for 25,000 additional. Prior to July 30, 1863, had delivered 50,019 muskets which were marked “L. G. & Y.”
LAMSON, GOODNOW & YALE— Windsor, Vt., 1855 to about 1864. Civil War contractors for Springfield Model 1861 rifle muskets; July 11, 1861, for 25,000 at $20.00 each, and Oct. 7, 1861, for an additional 25,000 at the same price. Both contracts completed by July 30, 1863. The lock-plates of these arms are marked "L.G.&Y." The company were the successors of Robbins & Lawrence of Windsor, Vt., and were in turn succeeded by E. G. Lamson & Co. See Robbins & Lawrence.
LAMSON, J.— Bennington, Vt., Civil War period.
LAMSON, Thomas — Bennington, Vt. Heavy percussion match rifle.
LANCASTER ARMS COMPANY— Lancaster, Pa. Made a single trigger for double barreled shotguns. About 1910-11.
LANCASTER RIFLE WORKS— Lancaster, Pa.
LANDENSCHLAGER, H.— Muncie, Ind.
Lander*, Frary & Clark—New Britain, Conn. Produced bayonets and trench* knives 1917-19. Active to date.
LANDER, C. — Unlocated. Lock marking of flintlock Kentucky rifle.
Lane & Read—Gunmakcrs of Boston, Mass., 1826-3^ (William Read.)
LANE & READ— Boston, Mass., 1826-36. Made muskets for Massa chusetts, to equip the State militia.
LANE, William— Lancaster County, Pa., before and after 1777-83. Gun stocker, sub-contractor to the Pennsylvania State Gun Factory at French Creek. Contracted with Peter De Haven, superintendent in July, 1777, to stock 30 muskets. Petitioned to Supreme Executive Council, June 25, 1780, for payment for 14 stocked muskets requisitioned from him by an armed detail, for which he had to make good to Peter De Haven.
LANG, J.— Unlocated.
LANGDON, W. C.— Boston, Mass., 1857-63.
LANGDON, W. G. — Boston, Mass. Maker of snipper (sniper) rifles during the Civil War.
LANGSDORF, O.— Stamped in the stock of a fancy Schuetzen walnut stocked percussion rifle with dolphin hammer and silverplated brass mountings.
LAQEUQUIST, Carl — Macon, Ga., designer, patentee and maker of a "Self-Capping Gun" carrying from "Ten to Fifty charges," patented by the Confederate States January 2nd, 1862. Trial fired April 29, 1862 and enthusiastically reported on my Macon Telegraph on April 30, as to speed, penetration and facile opera tion. But, the specimen demonstrated apparently was the only one made.
LARGE, William — R. D. 1, Ironton, Ohio. Modern; muzzle-loading rifles and gunsmithing.
LARSON, W. H.— Harrisburg, Pa. Late flintlock period.
LASH, J.— Marrsville, Ohio, 1817. Flintlock rifle.
LATHROP, Samuel B. — Arms stocker, Springfield Armory, 1818.
LATIL, L. A. — Baton Rouge, La. Percussion period.
LAUCK, S. — Probably Pennsylvania. Kentucky rifle used by Con federate soldier during Civil War. Another with tapered octagon barrel, name in script, long patchbox with secret release in the hinge, and pre-converted flintlock.
LAUFMAN, P. H. — Pittsburgh, Pa. Fullstock percussion rifle.
LAUTZ, BECKET & MINET— 15 Morton PL, Boston, Mass., 1868.
LAWING, AMBROS.— Unlocated. Peculiar late flintlock Kentucky rifle with cartwheel-design inlays and incised carving; crude mountings, odd patchbox marked "PATENT SECURED"; factory lock.
LAWLESS, P. I.— Unlocated. Percussion Plains rifle, walnut full stock, date 1859 carved in butt.
LAWRENCE — Philadelphia, Pa. Maker of flintlock holster pistols. Listed in city directories from 1821 to 1829.
LAWRENCE, J. F. — Maker of a back action lock, full maple stock, brass trim, Kentucky type, percussion rifle. (Lock maker only?)
Lawrence, Richard S.—Associated with Kendall & Lawrence and Robbins, Kendall & Lawrence from 1842 until 1852. Became master armourer to Sharp's Rifle Mfg. Co., Hartford, Conn. He remained in this last connection until 1864 or later, (pp. 745-46, Bishop’s “'History of American Manufacturers/ ' Philadelphia, 1864.)
LAWRENCE, Richard S.— Born at Chester, Vt., in 1817. Richard Lawrence moved to Jefferson County in his early childhood, spending his boyhood in the vicinity of Watertown. In 1838 after completing a short tour of duty with the army, he went to Windsor, Vt., where he spent four years working for N. Kendall & Co., learning the arms manufacturing business, at the salary of $100.00 per annum. In 1842, the company gave up arms making, and in 1843 Lawrence became associated with N. Kendall as a partner in a gun making shop. They were joined by S. E. Robbins in 1844, establishing the firm of Robbins, Kendall & Lawrence. Kendall withdrew from the firm in about 1847. In 1853 Lawrence went to Hartford to open a branch for the manufacture of Sharps and British Enfield carbines. The firm failed in 1855, and Lawrence took charge of the operation of the Sharps Co. plant at Hartford. See Robbins & Lawrence.
LAWRENCE, Thomas— Armorer. Was paid $720 New Emission Cur rency (at rate of exchange four for one, equal to $180, specie) for stocking and repairing 60 pairs of pistols, at Phila., June 26, 1781.
LAWRENCE, Thomas D.— Lancaster, Pa., 1857.
Lawrence, William—Riflemaker of Milford, Mass., 1857-68.
LAWRENCE, William — Laconia, N. H. Percussion target rifles and target pistols with extension stocks and bullet starters.
LAWRENCE, William— Laconia, N. H., 1841 and later. Detachable stock, pistol-carbines, percussion fowling pieces and breech loading shotguns.
LAWREY, David — Also Lowery. Wethersfield, Conn. Exempted in Connecticut from military duty, as a maker of gun-locks. Re corded June 9, 1777.
Lawser, William H.; Lawser & Bro.—430 Market St., Harrisburg, Pa. Riflemaker active from 1852 to 1876, before and after.
Lawton, Thomas—Gunsmith of Baltimore. Active 1831 or before he was employed by the Patent Arms Co., Paterson, N. J., 1836-37, as the first foreman.
Layendecker, George—Gunsmith of Allentown, Pa., 1774-80. Employed at the State Gun Factory while it was located here.
LAYENDECKER, George— Allentown, Pa., about 1774-83. At one time an employee of the State Gun Factory, prior to its removal from Allentown to Philadelphia.
Le Mat, Colonel Alexander—Inventor of the Le Mat revolver, patent of October 21, 1856, No. 15925; November 25, 1856, No. 16124. Le Mat, a French military and medical officer, located in New Orleans in the early 5o’s. His revolver was produced in France and England prior to 1861 and used, in limited numbers, by both the North and South during the Civil War.
LEACH, Judson — Gouverneur, N. Y. No details. LEADER, Richard Boston, Mass., 1646.
LEAMING, F.— Philadelphia, Pa. Lock marking of a flintlock Ken tucky rifle marked "Ford" on barrel.
LEAMY, Michael — Pennsylvania, period of 1812. Fine over-under flintlock Kentucky rifle.
LEATH, John — Atchison, Kansas. No details.
Leather, Jacob—or Lether. Gunsmith of York County, Pa. Active 1779-83, doubtful as to production. See Lether & Co.
LEATHER, Jacob— See Laether, Jacob, and Lether & Co.
LEATHERMAN, F.— Dayton, Ohio. 1822.
Leatherman, Fred—Made rifles at Dayton, Ohio. Active 1862-79.
LEATHERMAN, Fred— Dayton, Ohio, 1874-76.
Leavitt, Daniel—Cabotsville, Mass. Secured patent on “many chambered fire arm“ April 29, 1837. The Leavitt was produced by Wesson, Stevens & Miller of Hartford, Conn., about 1839-40. Sometimes referred to as the Wesson & Leavitt. The cylinder slides oft* for loading, after the barrel has been released and raised. Cylinder turns to right or left by hand.
LEAVITT, Daniel — Springfield, Mass., early percussion revolvers, patented April 29, 1837, No. 182. Believed to have been manu factured by Edwin Wesson.
LEBAN, Valentine— Bedford Borough, Bedford Co., Pa., 1820.
LECHILER— Philadelphia, Pa. Flintlock period.
LECHLER— Lancaster, Pa., 1857, percussion Kentucky rifles.
LECHLER — Philadelphia, Pa. Percussion, Kentucky type duelling pistols. (Same as Lechiler above?)
LECHLER* — Barrel marking of a flintlock Kentucky rifle of about 1815. One of the Lechlers above?
LECHLER, H. Jr.— Phila., Pa. Listed as gunsmith at 133 Front, in 1829.
LECHLER, Harry — Superintendent, Springfield Armory, Sept. 1, 1813 to January 15, 1815.
Lechler, Henry—Riflemaker of Lancaster, Pa., 1848-57.
LECHLER, Jacob— Phila., Pa. Listed as gunsmith at Lilley Alley, in 1829.
LEDUC, Theodore— Gunsmith, 38 Conde, New Orleans, La., 1853.
Lee Arms Co.—Wilkes-Barre, Pa. Made a few Lee “Red Jacket“ revolvers.
LEE ARMS CO.— Bridgeport, Conn., 1879 to about 1880. Makers of the Lee navy magazine rifle, J. P. Lee patent of Nov. 4, 1879. The firm was connected with the Sharps Rifle Co., who were to produce the Lee magazine rifle for the Lee Arms Company. However, Sharps suspended business in 1880, and the arms were made by Remington under license, in Ilion, N. Y.
LEE ARMS CO.— Wilkes-Barre, Pa. Makers of "Red Jacket" rim-fire revolvers.
Lee Fire Arms Co.—Bridgeport, Conn, Produced the arms of James Paris Lee. Made 300 Lee magazine rifles for U. S. Navy in 1880. Patent of November 4, 1879.
LEE FIREARMS CO.— Milwaukee, Wis., 1864-65. Operated by James Paris Lee, inventor and manufacturer of the Lee rim-fire carbine patented July 22, 1862, No. 35,941. One thousand Lee Carbines were ordered by the War Department, April 18, 1865. The arms were rejected due to a difference of .02 caliber between the specifications and the chambering. In 1874 Mr. Lee moved from Milwaukee to Springfield, Mass., to superintend the manufacture of the Lee single shot military rifles, 143 of which were made. Subsequently J. P. Lee is found at Hartford, Conn., superintending the manufacture of his later model arms. Various types of Lee arms were tested by the government in the trials of 1872, 1878, 1891 and 1895. Lee "straight pull" magazine rifle (made by Winchester) being adopted by the navy in the latter year. Mr. Lee was born in Scotland on Aug. 9, 1831, and after receiving his education in Canada, migrated to the United States. He died in Connecticut in 1904.
LEE, G. — Unlocated. Late percussion Kentucky rifles.
Lee, James Paris—Born in Scotland, August 9, 1831. Died at Short Beach, Conn., February 24, 1904. Lee's magazine rifles, patent of November 4. 1879, with central magazine, is the model upon which, with but few exceptions, all military rifles are based. It was used by the Navy from 1896 to T90T. His falling-block rifle, patent of 1875, was produced at Springfield Armory and used in the service 1876-79. Ilis arms were produced by Lee Fire Arms Co., Bridgeport, Conn.; Winchester (who received the contract to make the first 10,000 “straight pull” magazine rifles, Model of 1895.) Remington and Springfield Arsenal. His developments wefe embodied in the Remington-Lee, Lee-Navy, Lee-Speed, Lee-Enfield, Lee-Met ford and Spencer-Lee
LEE, Roswell — Lt. Colonel Ordnance. Superintendent Springfield Armory June 1, 1815 to August 25, 1833, the year of his death.
Leech & Rigdon—Confederate gunsmiths at Atlanta, Ga., 1862-64.
LEECH & RIGDON— Thomas S. Leech and Charles H. Rigdon, makers of Confederate, Colt-type revolvers at Greensboro, Ga., and later at Augusta, Ga. Thomas S. Leech, operator of the Memphis Novelty Works, was a manufacturer of military cutlery, swords, bayonets, spurs, etc., at 35 Front Row, Memphis, Tenn., about September 1861 May 1862. His association with Rigdon began about the early part of 1862, when Charles H. Rigdon, a practical machinist from Cincinnati and St. Louis, joined Leech in partnership. In May, 1862, the firm moved to Columbus, Miss., the location of the Briarsfield Arsenal. November 29, 1862, General Pemberton recommended the removal of the arsenal equipment and ordnance stores, which were moved to Selma, Ala. It appears that Leech & Rigdon also left Columbus about Jan. 1, 1863, and re-estab lished at Greensboro, Ga. In December, 1863, the partnership was dissolved, and Rigdon went to Augusta, Ga., where he be came associated with Smith & Ansley in the manufacture of revolvers. See Rigdon, Ainslee & Co. Thomas S. Leech was listed in the Memphis City Directories 1855-60 as clerk and cotton broker, and from 1866 to 1869 as cotton broker in the firm Leech & Carver. In 1874 he emigrated to Liverpool, England, where he lived until his death.
LEFBETT, J. H. — Unlocated. Full maple stock percussion rifle with lock by Joseph Golcher.
LEFEVER ARMS CO.— Ithaca, N. Y. Modern.
LEFEVER, D. M.— 78 E Water St., Syracuse, N. Y., 1880-82.
Lefever, D. M.; Lefever Arms Co.; D. M. Lefever Son & Co. —D. M.Lefever was arrive at 78 F.. Water Street, Syracuse, New York, from 1880 until about 1892, then Lefever Arms Co. The D. M. Lefever Sons & Company are listed in directories of 1906-08 at 107 N. Franklin Street, Syracuse, N. Y. At the same time the D. M. Lefever Company operated a shop at Bowling Green. Ohio. Now the property of Ithaca Gun Co.
LEFEVER, Dan— See Nichols & Lefever, Syracuse, N. Y.
LEFEVER, Samuel— Strasburg Township, Lancaster Co., Pa., 1770-01.
LEFEVRE & BULLIS — Canandaigua, N. Y., percussion period. Heavy match rifles.
Lefevre, Philip—Riflemaker of Beaver Valley, Lancaster County, Pa. Active 1731-56.
LEFEVRE, Philip — Also Lefever. Rifle maker of Beaver Valley, Lancaster Co., Pa., 1731-66. Was connected with the Ferree family of gun makers, through the marriage of his father, Isaac Lefevre with Katherine Ferree. Isaac Lefevre had come to America in 1708 with the Ferree family. See Jacob Ferree. Philip Lefevre was born at Esopus, N. Y., March 16, 1710. Migrated with his family to Pequea Valley, Lancaster Co., in 1712.
Lefevre, Samuel—Riflemaker of Strasbourg Township, Lancaster County, Pa., 1770-71.
LEGG, T. C. — Columbia, S. C. Percussion duelling pistols with Eng lish barrels.
LEGLER — Nashville, Tenn. Three generations made rifles.
Lehman, G. F.—Riflemaker of Jerome, Union County, Ohio, 1848-54,
LEHMAN, George F.— Union County, Ohio, 1850-54.
LEHMAN, Samuel — Armorer. Was paid $130 New Emission Currency (at rate of exchange 2Vz for one, equal to $52, specie) for stock ing and repairing 12 muskets and cleaning and repairing 10, at Phila., 1781.
LEHNERT, Julius — Louisville, Ky. Percussion Kentucky rifle lock.
Leitner, Adam—Gunsmith of York County, Pa., 1779-83. Doubtful as to arms production.
LEITNER, Adam— York County, Pa., 1779-1808. Contracted on May 31, 1808, with Tench Coxe, Purveyor of Public Supplies, for 100 pair of pistols at $10.00 the pair.
LEITNER, Igmatius— York Co., Pa., 1784-1786. Flintlock Kentucky rifles; worked on public arms. Also Lightener.
LELAND— Unidentified. Flintlock Kentucky rifle.
LELAND, L. M. — Augusta, Me. Percussion rifles.
Leman, H. E.—Father of Henry. Gunsmith of Lancaster, Penna., ' from about 1796 to T825. His name is sometimes given as Lehmann.
LEMAN, H. E.— Also Lehmann, Lancaster, Pa., about 1790-1825.
Leman, H. F,—Lancaster, Penna., about 1750.
LEMAN, H. F.— Lancaster, Pa., about 1750. Kentucky rifles.
LEMAN, Heinrich — Unidentified. Kentucky rifles, about 1840.
LEMAN, Heinrich — Kentucky rifles, circa 1740. Probably same as Le . C i man, H. F.
Leman, Henry—Born in Lancaster, Pa., March 8, 1812. At the age of 16 he entered the shop of Melchoir Fordney serving three years. From 1831 to 1834 he was a journeyman with Geo. W. Tryon of Philadelphia. Returned to T-ancaster in T834 and established at the corner of Walnut Street and Cherry Alley. During his first year he produced about 250 rifles. Received government contract in 1837 for 1,000 rifles which contract remained in effect, being renewed annually, until about i860. Received Indian Department contract on February 8, 1840, for 500 northwest guns at $7.00. According to F. Schnad, a contemporary gunsmith, he enlarged his shop about 1858 but it was destroyed by fire about i860. Lehman never fully recovered from this blow which marked the end of the Lancaster gun business. Lehman located on East James Street and continued until about 1876. Died 1887.
LEMAN, Henry E.— Also Leaman. E. Walnut & N. Duke Sts., Lan caster, Pa. Son of H. E. Leman. Born at Lancaster, March 8, 1812. Learned the gun making trade under Melchoir Fordney from about 1828 to 1831, from 1831 to 1834 was with Geo. W. Tryon, rifle maker of Philadelphia. Henry E. Leman established his own rifle making plant in Lancaster in 1834, manufacturing largely for the Indian trade. Obtained his first government contract on Nov. 7, 1837, for 500 rifles for Indians at $14.00 each. On Feb. 8, 1842, Henry Leman undertook to make 500 Northwest guns for the Indian Department at $7.00 each, duration to May 1, 1843. Leman also did considerable work altering arms from flint to percussion. Also later during the Civil War made sharpshooter telescope rifles. Henry E. Leman died in 1887.
Leman, Peter—Gunsmith of Mountjoy Township, Lancaster County, Pa., from about 1745 to 1782.
LEMAN, Peter — Also Lehmann. Mount Joy Township, Lancaster County, Pa., about 1740-1782.
LeMATA. Dr.— 188 Dauphine, New Orleans, La. 1853.
LENDER, Ed.— 1859. No. details.
Lennard—Gunsmith of Lancaster, Pa., 1770.
LENNARD— Unidentified. 1772. Kentucky rifles.
Lennox, Andrew—Riflemaker of Fairview, ten miles above Pittsburgh on the Allegheny River. Active 1835-38, before and after.
LENZ, Michael— Forest Street, Baltimore, Md., 1802. Listed at 36 Light St., in the 1804 Directory.
LENZHAUR & OTTO— St. Louis, Mo. at 4 No. 3rd in 1864.
Leonard Family—According to Swank “the most noted in the annals of the New England iron industry.” Rev. Dr. Forbes, in referring to the Leonard family in his “Topographical Description of Raynham and its History,” 1793, states “the circumstances of a family attachment to the iron manufacture is so well known as to render it a common observation in this part of the country “Where you can find iron works, there you will find a Leonard.”
Leonard, A,—Saxtons River, Vermont. Gunmaker active from 1843 to about i860. During the period 1848-60 the style of the firm name was A. Leonard & Sons. J. S. Dutton of Jaffrey, N. H., entered the Leonard shop as an apprentice but was discharged because of inattention about 1851.
LEONARD, A. — Saxons River, Vt. Sharpshooter's percussion tele scope sight rifle, lock by Warren & Steele, Albany; fine, heavy target rifles.
LEONARD, A. & SON— Saxons River, Vt, about 1840-1860. Another son had a shop in Keene, N. H. Heavy match rifles; over-under percussion rifle-shotgun, German silver mounted.
Leonard, C.—Gunmaker of Petersburg, Virginia. Active 1865-75, before and after.
Leonard, Charles—Son of “Quaker” Jonathan Leonard. Made 2,125 Model 1808 muskets between the years 1809 and 1812, contract of R. & C. Leonard. He was commissioned a captain of militia in 1815 and served for eight years. Left Canton, Mass., with his father in 1826.
LEONARD, Charles — Canton, Mass. Son of Jonathan Leonard. In association with R. Leonard, a relative, contracted for 5,000 muskets on Oct. 29, 1808. Charles Leonard was a captain of Can ton militia company from 1815 to 1823. Left Canton destitute in 1826.
Leonard, Eliphalet—Member of a family which was preeminent in the iron industry. Not being pleased with the quality of the metal used in the musket barrels of the colonials he began producing a better . steel for firearms at Easton, Mass., in 1776. Continued for the duration of the Revolution.
LEONARD, Eliphalet — Easton, Mass., musket maker for Committee of Safety, 1776. Reputed to be one of the first steel makers in the Colonies, Eliphalet Leonard was one of the very few Revolu tionary War arms makers with sufficient courage and conviction of ultimate victory, to mark his arms with his name and location. A description of one of his muskets, made after the British, pinned-barrel model, records the marking of "E. Leonard in Easton 1776."
Leonard, G. O.—Riflcmakcr of Keene, New Hampshire. Active 1859- 69, before and after.
LEONARD, Geo. O. — Keene, N. H. Heavy barrel, percussion, sniper's rifle with telescope sight.
Leonard, George—Gunsmith of Shrewsbury, Mass. He was employed for a time by Allen & Thurber at Worcester, Mass. Here he probably received his idea of a pepperbox pistol which he subsequently patented in September, 1849.
LEONARD, George — Chariestown, Mass. Ring-trigger, pepperbox pistols.
LEONARD, George R.— Keene, N. H., 1859-69. Gun-barrel maker.
Leonard, Henry—Cannon founder at Lynn, Mass., 1647. Probably the first in America.
Leonard, J., Jr.—Charleston, Va. Inventor and maker of four shot, ring-trigger, percussion pepper-box. Patent of 1848, active 1848-49.
Leonard, Jonathan—Son of Eliphalet, born 1759. He entered Harvard from which he graduated in 1786. In 1787 he located at Easton, Mass., but quit that place for Canton in 1813. Remained at Canton until 1826 and died in Sandwich, January 26, 1845. A skilled gunsmith, he probably taught his sons their craft.
LEONARD, Jonathan— Also called "Quaker." Son of Eliphalet Leon ard. In association with Kinsley founded a gun forge at Stough ton, Mass., in 1778. A part of Stoughton later became Canton, where Jonathan's son Charles, made arms on contract of 1808.
Leonard, R. & C.—Canton, Mass. Secured government contract October 29, 1808, for 2,125 muskets at $13.40 each. Deliveries were completed before October 7, 1812.
LEONARD, R. & C. — Canton, Mass., musket makers. Contractors Oct. 29, 1808, for 5,000 Model 1808 muskets, duration 5 years. Of these 2,125 are recorded delivered by Oct. 7, 1812.
Lepper, Lewi$— Riflemaker of Lancaster, Pa., 1849-57.
Lescher—Gunsmith of Philadelphia, 1730.
LESCHER— Philadelphia, Pa., 1730.
LESSIER, P.— See Suter, C. & Co.
LESTER, L. M. & H. H.— 252 Broadway, New York, 1875. Makers of Lester safety locking pistol.
Lether & Co.—Probably Jacob Lether or Leather of York County, Pa. Supplied a portion of the arms provided for by Act of March 8, 1797, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. This act authorized the purchase of twenty thousand stand of “Musquets of a fashion and pattern of the French Charleville musquets/ ’
LETHER & CO. — Jacob Laether and Kunrat Welhance, York, Pa., musket makers, contractors to Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for 1,200 Charleville pattern muskets on April 11, 1798. Arms marked "LETHER & CO.," "CP" on rear of lockplate.
LETHER, Jacob — York, Pa., musket contractor to State of Pennsyl vania. See Lether & Co., and Laethers, Jacob. In addition to muskets made rifles and according to family tradition pistols also, but probably not military type. Family records note that "Jacob Lether, gunsmith, petitioned for a tavern license in 1760, to be located on High Street, (now Market) in York, Pa. Estab lished as gunsmith a few years prior." Son, Jacob Jr. also a gun smith.
Lever Bolt Rifle Co.—New Haven, Conn. Short lived, produced rifles 1930-32.
LEWIS, A. W.— Unidentified. 1861. Double barreled rifle with con cealed triggers and inside hammers.
LEWIS, Charles— Perry, below Washington Street, Buffalo, N. Y. 1836-37.
LEWIS, Col. Fielding — With Major Charles Dick, operator of an arsenal at Fredericksburg, Va., for the manufacture of small arms to equip Continental Line regiments raised in Virginia. Fielding Lewis and Charles Dick were appointed Commissioners to build and operate the Government Gun Factory of the Commonwealth of Virginia by the Second Virginia Revolutionary Convention Commissioners in July 1775.
Lewis, Colonel Isaac Newton—Inventor of the Lewis machine gun- and Lewis Range and Position Finder. Born October 12, 1858, in New Salem, Pa. Graduated from West Point in 1884 and died in Hoboken, N. J. November 10, 1931.
LEWIS, Jacob — Unlocated. Light percussion Kentucky rifle with Truitt lock and maple stock carved in relief.
Lewis, James—Riflemaker of Troy, N. Y., 1852-59.
LEWIS, John— Upper Sandusky, Wyandot, Huntsville Co., Ohio, 1820. Repaired firearms for Indians.
LEWIS, Joseph — Pike Co., Pa. Late Kentucky rifles, percussion period.
LEWIS, Joseph — Groton, Conn. Repaired arms for the State in 1780.
LEWIS, Morgan— 22 Market St., Youngstown, Ohio, 1881-83.
Lewis, Morgan E.—Made or assembled a few shotguns at Youngstown, Ohio, 1881-83.
LEWIS, Nelson — Troy, N. Y. Born 1811 near Speigletown, north of Troy. A market hunter, later apprenticed to J. M. Caswell at Lansingburg, N. Y. Set up shop at Congress & Church streets, Troy, in 1843; active there more than 40 years. Heavy flintlock duelling pistol, percussion single and double rifles, rifle-shotgun combinations, target rifles in many weights and calibers, Civil War sharpshooters' rifles; all rifled with gain twist. In 1870,'s experimented with 100-rod rifles. Made many fine-quality arms, and excelled at match shooting. Died in Troy, N. Y. Aug. 4, 1888.
Lewis, Nelson.—Troy, N. Y. Produced rifles, including heavy target type, double guns, etc. Active 1853, before and after.
LEWIS, Warner— Tulip, Ohio. Born 1870 a descendant of Nelson Lewis. Accurate 12-lb. .36 caliber rifle made in 1843. Still living in 1947.
LEY, Frederick — Phila., Pa. Listed as gunsmith at Rose, in 1829.
LIBEAU, Charles — Gunsmith. 127 Main, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1829.
LIBEAU, V. C. W.— New Orleans, La., about 1835-47. Libeau revolver.
LIBEAU, Valentine— Gunsmith. In Columbus, Ohio in 1827; at 127 Main, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1829.
LIDDLE & READING— 538 Washington St., San Francisco, Calif., 1874-76.
LIDDLE, R. — San Francisco, Calif. Walnut half-stock, octagonal barrel percussion rifle turned at muzzle for starter. Liddle was a member of Liddle & Keading. In 1859-64 Robert Liddle is listed at 418 Washington and in 1865 at 538 Washington.
Liddle, Robert; Liddle & Kaednig; Liddle Gun Co.—San Francisco, Calif. Robert Liddle was active from before 1857 and produced rifles and shotguns. Formed a partnership with Kaednig about 1872 which continued until superseded by Liddle Gun Company about 1889. Active 1894 or later.
LIGHT, Elmore— Shelby, Ohio; 81 in 1948. Gunsmith and gunstocker in curly maple and burl walnut.
Light, Peter—With David Hunter, of Berkeley County, Virginia, contracted to make 200 stands of arms at £6 Virginia currency each. This was on September 28, 1776, but no record of deliveries could be found.
LIGHT, Peter — Berkley County, Va. In association with David Hunter contracted with the State of Virginia, Sept. 28, 1776, for 200 muskets, at £6 per stand.
LIGHTENER, Ignatius— York County, Pa., 1784-86. Worked on public cci arms.
Lightner, Ignatius—Gunsmith of York County, Pa. Worked on public arms, 1784-86.
Lilley-Ames Co. (M. C. Lilley Co.); —Columbus, Ohio. The M. C. Lilley Company began the production of swords about 1872. About 1930 a merger was effected with the Ames Sword Company of Chicopee, Mass. The Lilley-Ames Company is now the only sword manufactory in continuous operation in the country. Produce swords for the commissioned and non-commissioncd personnel of the U. S. Marine Corps, the cadet bodies of West Point and of Annapolis. Also supply foreign military and police forces.
LILLIE, P. T.— See Lilly, P. T.
LILLY, P. T.— Or Lillie, "Pat." Carmichaels, Greene Co., Pa., 1850's. Southern sympathizer; left just after outbreak of Civil War, never returned.
LINDBURG, C. — Unlocated. Percussion over-under rifle and shotgun.
LINDE, A. — Memphis, Tenn. Had workerd for Schneider & Glassick before and probably during the Civil War. Later made imitation Deringer pistols. Moved to Little Rock, Ark., and died there about 1904.
LINDE, J. — Unlocated. Percussion pistol.
LINDNER, Edward — Percussion carbine patentee and maker. Patent March 29, 1859, No. 23,378. Lindner carbines (old model) were also made by the Amoskeag Mfg. Co., at Manchester, N. H. The government purchased 501 Lindner carbines in 1863, at $20.00 each.
Lindsay Mfg. Co., J. P,—New York, N. Y. Pistol makers who produced the ‘'Young America,” patent of February 8, 1859, and October 9, 1860.
LINDSAY, C. W. — Unidentified. Percussion, 2-shot, 2-hammer, single barrel rifle.
LINDSAY, J. P. MAN'F'G CO.— 208 Orange St., New Haven, Conn., 1864-67, and 20 Howard Street, 1867-69. Makers of John P. Lind say patent two-shot single barrel pistols, and two-shot, single barrel rifle muskets, patented Oct. 9, 1864. One thousand of these muskets, which were manufactured in New Haven, were pur chased by the War Department, Aug. 16, 1864, on contract of Dec. 17, 1863, at $25.00 each. These arms were probably made for Lindsay on contract by Cyrus Manville, whose plant was at 208 Orange Street, the site of the old Volcanic factory.
LINDSAY, John Parker — Connected with the Lindsay Firearms Co. See above. Lindsay was a former employee of the Springfield Armory. Legend has it that Lindsay designed his 2-shot, single barrel arm to surprise Indians, who had wiped out a command in which Lindsay's brother was a soldier. The Indians drew the fire of troops equipped with the usual single shot muskets, and then charged in overwhelming numbers, before the muzzle loaders could be reloaded.
LINDSEY, William— Porsmouth, Scioto Co., Ohio, 1829.
LINS, A. Frederick — Philadelphia, Pa. Maker of percussion der ringers.
Lins, Adam Frederick—Rifle and pistol maker of Philadelphia. Active1851-75-
LIPEL, C. — Listed as maker of flintlock Kentucky rifles. Believed to be a misreading for script name of C. Sipel or Siple. See Siple, C.
LIPLEY— Unidentified. Somerset Co., Pa. Silver inlaid rifle.
Lippencott—Produced Model 1873 sabers at Chicago, 111.
Lipphardt, Charles—Rifiemaker of New Richmond, Clermont County, Ohio. Active 1849-54, before and after.
LISTON, Perry — Born in Maryland or Pennsylvania in 1798. In 1800 his family moved to Scioto Co., Ohio, on Brush Creek, two miles east of Otway. Made rifles 1822-1882, but apparently did not mark them. Died in 1882.
LITTLE, Charlie— Ashtabula, Ohio. Percussion shotguns.
LITTLE, D.— Bellefonte, Pa., 19th Century.
LITTLE, J. & D. — Bellefonte, Pa., mid-19th century. Gun and gun barrel makers. Made percussion rifle barrels for J. D. McKahan; McKahan & Noble, and others.
LITTLE, Jv— Bellefonte, Pa. Member of firm J. & D. Little. Name stamped and copper inlaid under barrel of heavy percussion Kentucky rifle with openwork patchbox and silver inlays. Tryon back-action lock.
LITTLE, R.— 112 Washington St., San Francisco, Calif., 1859-60. (With Bogart Bros.?) (Same as Liddle, R.?).
LIVERMORE, E. K. — New York, N. Y., percussion period.
LIVINGSTON — Marathon, N. Y. Percussion rifles of fine workman ship.
LIVINGSTON, F.— Marathon, N. Y. Maker of percussion rifles of fine workmanship, and of over-under, walnut half stock, percussion, rifle-shotgun with double side-by-side locks and long nipple for firing the lower barrel.
LIVINGSTON, J. W.— Syracuse, N. Y. Combination rifle-shotgun.
LIVINGSTON, John — Walpole, N. H. Musket maker. In association with Gurdon Huntington, Josiah Bellow and David Stone, con tracted under Act of July 5, 1798, for 1,000 Charleville pattern (Model 1795) muskets at $13.40 per stand. Of these 608 were delivered by June 10, 1801.
LLEWLLIN, Mathew — Pennsylvania musket maker associated with Jacob Dickert in a contract with the Commonwealth of Pennsyl vania of April 17, 1801, for 1,000 Charleville pattern muskets.
LLOYD, William—Snyder County, Pa. No details.
LOBTNER, C. — Philadelphia, Pa. Percussion derringer.
LOCKE, H. — Pennsylvania; Kentucky rifles.
LOCKE, James — Born 1790 in New Hampshire or Vermont; moved to Wellsborough (now Wellsboro), Pa., before 1820, and soon made rifles; died ca. 1870. Made unique Miguelet-type percussion locks. A walnut halfstock with part-octagon barrel marked "J. Locke" in script; lock, marked "J. L." in script, has external mainstring and parts mounted in a boxlike brass casting. Also a fancy inlaid Kentucky rifle with identical but unmarked lock, marked "James Locke Wellsborough" in script on barrel.
LODER — Lancaster, Pa., about 1770. Kentucky rifles.
LODGE BROS.— Columbia Co., Pa., period of 1810; flintlock Kentucky rifles. See Jonathan Lodge.
LODGE, Jonathan — Columbia Co., Pa.; came there with his parents in 1768; there in 1810. Flintlock Kentucky rifles.
LOGAN & KENNEDY— Pittsburgh, Pa. Makers of late flint(?) and percussion rifle locks.
LOGAN, G. S. — Unlocated. Artificially striped, maple full-stock per cussion Kentucky rifle.
Lombard & Co., R. C.—Market St., Springfield, Mass. Pistol and cartridge manufacturers, pistols swing to right to load. Active1859-61
LOMBARD, H. C. & CO.— Market Street, Springfield, Mass. 1860-1861 and later. Makers of rim-fire cartridge pistol.
LONDON PISTOL CO.— Newark, N. J. The forerunner of the Man hattan Firearms Co., about 1859-60. Makers of percussion re volvers patented Dec. 27, 1859 by Joseph Gruler and Augustus Rebetey of Norwich, Conn., patent No. 26,641, and assigned to Manhattan Firearms Co. of Newark, N. J.
LONG, George — Unlocated. Penna. made, percussion Kentucky rifles.
LONG, J.— Yeagerstown, Pa., 1865-1886. Percussion rifles.
LONG, James — Beaver Springs, Snyder Co., Pa. Kentucky rifles.
LONG, John — Pennsylvania, active about 1790. Flintlock Kentucky rifles.
LONG, John E. — Detroit gunsmith. Member of firm of Fisher & Long.
LONG, Jos. — Mendon, Westmoreland Co., Pa. Percussion period.
LONG, Joseph— "J. L." Middle Creek, Snyder Co., Pa. Flintlock and early percussion, inlaid Kentucky rifles.
LONG, Wm. J. — Jonathan Creek, near Thornville, Perry County, Ohio. Lived 29 August 1858-19 March 1948. Had been apprenticed to Peter Humbarger III.
LONGSTRETH & COOK— Philadelphia, Pa. Inlaid flintlock Kentucky rifle.
LOOMIS, E. — Hubbardsville, N. Y. Percussion sporting rifles.
LOOMIS, Earl — Colchester (now East Hamilton), N. Y. Learned gun smithing in New England, flintlock period; living in 1870's. Gun mith son Alonzo, born 1824, died in 1900's. Late flintlock and percussion rifles, most German silver mounted.
LOOMIS, F. — Unlocated. Double barrel, breech-loading hammer shot gun.
LOOMIS, J. D. & CO.— 1850. Kentucky rifle with lock by B. Samples.
LOOS, F. — Albany, N. Y. Short, half -stock percussion rifle with lock marked "WARREN & STEELE, ALBANY."
LORD, J. — Lancaster Co., Pa., 1830-1855. Master workman; flintlock and percussion Kentucky rifles.
LORNEY, M.— Boalsburg, Pa. Kentucky rifles.
LOSEY. B. — Shop located near Ithaca, N. Y. Made fine shotgun and rifle barrels. Percussion period.
LOSEY. B. — Syracuse, N. Y. Percussion over-under rifles.
LOTZ, Peter— Lancaster, Pa. 1857.
LOUDENSLAGER, H.— Unlocated. Kentucky rifles.
LOUDENSLAGER, Simon — Mexico, Juniata Co., Pa. Percussion rifles, mostly stocked in plain maple with stained stripes or curls.
LOVEL, James— Gunsmith. Green above Third, Phila., Pa., 1819.
LOVELL ARMS CO.— Also J. P. Lovell Arms Co., Boston Mass. Suc ceeded by Iver Johnson in 1868.
LOVELL, John P.— Boston, Mass.; born 1820, died 1897. Fine per cussion target pistol; breech-loading shotguns. See Lovell Arms Co.
Lovell, John P.; Grover & Lovell; Lovell & Sons; Lovell Arms Co., —John P. Lovell established in 1840. From 1841 to 1844 in partnership as Grover & Lovell. Operated alone at 27 Dock Square, upstairs, until the early 70’s to become the John P. Lovell & Sons. Exhibited at Philadelphia in 1876. Later located at 147 Washington Street as J. P. Lovell Arms Co., shotgun manufacturers. Continued to 1891 and after. Made the double-action revolver of Capt. Eben Swift, 5th U. S. Cavalry.
LOW, William— Ovid, Seneca Co., N. Y. Contracted April 18, 1818, with the State of New York to furnish 300 rifles and 250 swords for the frontier militia.
Lowe, William V.—Gunsmith who worked at Fitchburg, Winchester and Woburn, Mass., 1875-95.
LOWE, William V.— Massachusetts, about 1875-95. Active at Fitch burg, Winchester and Woburn.
LOWE, William V. — Of Warner & Lowe, Syracuse, N. Y., 1880. Born 1820, died 1897.
Lowell Arms Co.—Willey St., Lowell, Mass. Capital $100,000. Produced J. V. Meig’s patent May, 1866, carbines which were submitted to government experiment of 1868.
LOWELL ARMS CO.— Lowell, Mass., about 1864-68. Makers of 7-shot rim-fire revolvers. The firm's name had been Rollin White Arms Co., assumed without permission of Mr. White. On Rollin White's protest against the use of his name, it was changed to the Lowell Arms Co.
Lower, John P.—Born 1833 and established in Philadelphia in 1851. In the 6o’s he produced revolvers and Indian guns. To Denver, Colo., in 1872. Died 1915 and succeeded by his sons who continued to 1919 or later as J. P. Lower's Sons.
LOWER, John P.— Philadelphia, Pa., and Denver, Colo. Born 1833; ap prenticed at Philadelphia to Joseph C. Grubb; independent after Aug. 4, 1850. Made halfstock rifles (used J. H. Johnston barrels, Geo. Golcher locks), percussion derringers. Made 6-shot, .32 rim fire, sheathed-trigger revolvers marked with his name, "W. L. Grant," or "D. D. Cone, Washington, D. C." until 1855 when Smith & Wesson sued for patent infringement. Came to Colorado in 1868. Became a partner of Carlos Gove in Denver in 1873 until 1876 when he opened his own shop, doing business at a number of successive locations: Blake Street, Larimer, Fifteenth and at Champa. Died in 1917, at age of 84.
Lowery, David—Musket maker of Wethersfield, Conn., 1774-77. Employed by the state 1776-77 his arms were ordered stamped S. C. for State of Connecticut.
LOWERY, David— See Lawrey, David.
LOWNDES, Edward— Greeley, Co., 1875.
Loxley, Benjamin; Loxley Furnace—The Provincial Council of Pennsylvania in meeting on August 4, 1775, resolved “that Morgan Bustead, Cast and Deliver to this Committee, Two Howitzers, agreeable to the draft offered by him to this Board.” A notation on the minutes of the meeting of March 1, 1776, states 'Morgan Bustead, not having performed any part of his contract for the casting of cannon, is to be prosecuted for damages.” The Committee subsequently “ordered Capt. Loxley and Daniel King to take immediate possession of Bustead’s Air Furnace for the public use and this Committee will be answerable to said Bustead.” However, the worthy gentleman failed to reckon with the eternal feminine for an entry in the memorandum book of the committee at Philadelphia states “Bustead Sister, the vixen, refuses Captain Loxley admittance to the Furnace” and asks, “What’s to be done?” What course the gallant captain pursued is not known but it was notj until the 7th of August, following, that the lady was appeased and admittance gained. Production was soon thereafter begun to continue through the war.
LUCAN — Bellefonte, Pa. Percussion Kentucky rifles.
LUDINGTON — Lancaster, Pa., Revolutionary War period.
LUDRODA — Pennsylvania. Kentucky rifles.
LUDWIG, Paul— Pennsylvania, 1831.
LULL & THOMAS— Ilion, N. Y., 1857. Double barrel, side-by-side, rifle-shotgun.
LULL, M. P. & A. G. — Woodstock, Vt. Underhammer percussion rifle.
LUMBARD, Joseph — Welded and forged pistol barrels at Springfield Armory in 1808. Also drew sword blades.
LUPUS, A. — Dover, N. H. Percussion holster pistol.
Lurch, David and Joseph—Operated in separate gun shops, New York City, 1869-75. Produced rifles and combination spring and air- guns.
LURCH, David and Joseph— Grand St., New York, N. Y. 1869-75. Percussion target rifles.
Lydick, Peter—Baltimore, Md., 1773-79- Contract musket maker to Council of Safety. On February 7, 1776, 72 muskets of his manufacture were subjected to proof-test, 64 passing, 8 being rejected. (Several references
LYDICK, Peter— Baltimore, Md., gun maker to Council of Safety. Be lieved to be identical with Riddick who reported January 31, 1778, that he had 70 guns ready to be proved. On January 31, 1776, Keener, Messersmith and Riddick reported they were ready for an inspector. On February 7, 1776, an inspector was sent who proved the arms made by Sam Keener, Sam Messersmith and Peter Lydick.
LYON, H. A. — Sioux City, Iowa. Stamped his name on barrels of arms assembled by purchase of component parts. His son manu factured ammunition.
LYONS — Of Soper & Lyons, Sioux City, Iowa. A .44 caliber plains rifle.
|Sitemap: in Italiano | auf Deutsch | in English ||
|http://www.earmi.it - Enciclopedia delle armi © 1997 - 2003|