| A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z |
Unidentified. Late flintlock period.
Unidentified. Percussion Kentucky rifle.
G. C. B.
Unidentified. Script marking of a circa 1820 Penna. type Kentucky rifle.
G. D. & CO.
Cincinnati, Ohio. Percussion rifle locks.
Initials of George Flegel, Master Armorer U.S. Arsenal, 1815; U.S. Inspector of Contract Arms, 1823 at plant of Asa Waters. Probably the "GF" inspector of arms at the Henry Deringer plant in 1814. G. F. - Unidentified. Percussion Kentucky rifles.
Unidentified. Long, early Kentucky type flintlock smoothbore, Ashmore lock.
Unidentified. Kentucky rifle.
G. O. & CO.
Cincinnati, Ohio; percussion Indian rifles.
Unidentified. Early flintlock Kentucky rifle with slender wrist, high comb, no patchbox, carved stock. Another, script marking, with patchbox and many inlays.
Unidentified. Walnut halfstock percussion rifle of indifferent workmanship. Converted factory lock, mother-of-pearl star in cheekpiece. Large letters "G.W." on barrel. Reported first used in 1877 in Moravia, Iowa.
G. W. C.
Script initials on barrel of halfstock rifle by George W. Craft, q.v. Most of his work was unmarked.
G. W. S.
Unidentified. Script marking on barrel of circa 1820 No. Penna. type Kentucky rifle with carved Roman nose stock.
Unlocated. Early percussion Kentucky rifles. Probably Henry Gable.
Williamsport, Pa. Flintlock and early percussion rifles. Later Henry Gable and Son.
GABLE, Henry and Son
Williamsport, Pa., 19th Century. Percussion Kentucky rifles.
Unlocated. Kentucky rifles.
Cumberland Row, Baltimore, Md., 1816.
GAGE, J. E.
Ontario, Wayne Co., N. Y., and Concord, N. H. Born Feb. 18, 1850, died 1924. Learned gunsmithing under Wm. Billing hurst at Rochester; made buggy rifles, etc. Located 1900-1924 in Concord.
Sevier Co., Tenn. Made guns carried by the few Con federates from Sevier County, "and every gun made by him bears his name."
GALBRAITH, JAMES & CO.
Phila., Pa., 1792. Bill for 24 pairs of pistols.
GALBREATH, J. H.
Lancaster Co., Pa., 1840-1860. Percussion Ken tucky rifle.
Lebanon, Pa. Kentucky rifles.
Unlocated. About 1780 Kentucky rifles.
Lancaster, Pa., 1857.
GALLAHER, JOHN, S. & CO.
Fayette County. Contracted with the Common wealth of Pennsylvania, Feb. 5, 1799, for 2,000 Charleville pat tern, (Model 1795) muskets. The Gallatin factory in Nicholson Township was quite extensive for that time, employing from 50 to 100 men and making swords as well as muskets. With Gallatin was associated Melchior Baker.
Gunsmith of Lancaster Borough, Lancaster county, Pa., 1779-82. Doubtful as to production.
Lancaster, Pa., before and after 1782.
Garand, John C.
Noted arms designer. After the World War, Gar- and was employed by the government at Springfield Armory. Here he developed the semi-automatic rifle which bears his name. The first model was designed to use the .30 cartridge but a later model was devel<yed to receive the 7mm. and this arm is now known as the U. S. Model T3 Garand.
GARCIA, A. D. E.
Gunsmith, State Arsenal, New Orleans, La., 1853.
Gardner Gun Co.
Cleveland, Ohio. Shotgun manufacturers from 1887 or before until 1895. John Tod, Pres., W. B. Huntington, Sec’y-Treas.
Lima, Allen Co., Ohio, 1855-61.
GARDNER, Charles L.
Rochester, N. Y. Percussion rifles.
Rifle maker of Lima, Ohio, 1859-65.
Geneva, N. Y. Flintlock Kentucky rifles of New England-New York style.
Lima, Ohio, 1855-61.
GARDNER, J. N.
Scranton, Pa., percussion period.
Rifles and shotguns, Columbus, Ohio, 1866-88. Died 1892.
Columbus, Ohio. Active 1866-88. Died 1892.
GARDNER, M. H.
Indiana. Reported maker of 17 pound, walnut half-stock, percussion bench rifle with Pfeiffer barrel and Leman lock.
Geneva, N. Y. Maker of a full stock, Kentucky type, "mule ear," engraved lock rifle.
Of Toledo, Ohio and Hartford, Conn. Inventor of the Gardner machine gun, patent of 1S71, improvements 1879. The gun produced by Pratt & Whitney, Hartford, Conn., and adopted by the British Army, contemporary with the Martini. Submitted a single-shot breech-loader to the government experimental trials of 1872. Exhibited breech-loading cannon, ina- chane guns and magazine shoulder arms at Philadelphia, all of which were produced by Pratt & Whitney. Patented a breechloader October 18, 1887, No. 371,836. Gardner was active 1870-87, before and after.
Boston, Mass., 1650.
Lancaster, Pa., about 1775. Kentucky rifles.
Gatling Gun Co.
Promotional set-up for the sale of the Gatling which was controlled by Colt. In 1866 Colt took over the production of the Gatling which had previously been made by the Cooper Fire Arms Co., Philadelphia. The Gatling Gun Company continued until T909.
Gatling, Richard Jordan
Inventor of the Gatling gun. Born September 12, 1818, in Hertford County, N. C. Died February 26, T903. The gun was patented November 4, 1862, and six were made the same year by Greenwood & Co., Cincinnati, Ohio. Before delivery was made a fire destroyed the plant, guns and patterns. Soon thereafter another firm in the same city produced twelve more which were fired as frequently as interested parties could be secured to witness the demonstration. During the year 1865 and 1866 an improved gun was manufactured by the Cooper Firearms Mfg. Co., Philadelphia, Pa. The improvements, patented May 9, 1865, consisted of an improved lock and rear cam. Since 1866 the Gatling has been manufactured by Colt, and in Europe at Vienna, Austria, and Newcastle-on-Tyne.
GAULT, M. & BRO.
Washington, D. C. Makers of percussion der ringers.
Saleto Township, Muskegum Co., Ohio, 1811-1823.
Gaunt & Monet
Philadelphia, Pa. Secured a government contract September 24, 1813, for three repeating swivels. These were probably on Joseph G. Chambers' system.
Gunsmith. 174 So. Second, Phila., Pa., 1819.
Riflemaker of Lancaster, Pa. 1780.
Unlocated. Early flintlock Kentucky rifle.
Forged breech pins, Springfield Armory, 1818.
Gaylord Mfg. Co.
Sword cutlers of Chicopee, Mass. Active 1873 or before, to date.
Philadelphia, Pa. listed as gun lock filer at 85 Dillwyn, in 1829.
Williamsburg, Va., Colonial period. Died 1744.
GEHRETT, J. F.
Huntingdon County, Pa., late percussion period. Kentucky rifles.
GEHRETT, J. W.
Unlocated. Double barreled, swivel-breech, curly maple stock percussion rifle.
Orbisonia, Pa.; Kentucky rifles. Family later op erated in West Virginia.
Huntington, Pa., about 1810; flintlock Kentucky rifles.
Towanda, Pa., late flintlock period.
Gelbke, F. L.
Gunmakcr at 14 Dauphin St., Mobile, Ala., 1859-75.
GEMMEL, G. W.
Troy, N. Y., percussion period. Probably identical with G. Gemmill.
Gemmer, John P.
Gunsmith of St. Louis, Mo. At one time an employee of Samuel T. Hawkcn, he established for himself in 1861 and active until 1915. Died 1919.
GEMMER, John P.
St. Louis, Mo., rifle maker. Purchased and oper ated the Hawken gun shop from 1862 until 1915, when the old establishment closed its doors. Mr. Gemmer was born in the village of Lolschied, Grand Duchy of Nassau, Germany, June 21, 1838, and came to the United States with his father in 1855. They landed in New Orleans, and travelled up the Mississippi, locating at Boone ville, Mo., where they remained four years, during which time John Gemmer learned the gunsmith trade. In 1860, after a year in the gun shop of Emanuel Kleinhenn, Gem mer entered the employ of the Hawken shop, which was then under management of William Watt, in the absence of Samuel Hawken. In 1862, after some service in the Ordnance Depart ment as armorer with grade of corporal, at the St. Louis Arsenal, Gemmer bought out the Hawken establishment on Washington Avenue, where for a time he continued to make rifles of the Hawken type, stamped with the Hawken name. His later arms were marked Gemmer. A number of his rifles may be seen in the Jefferson Memorial, Forest Park, St. Louis, in custody of the Missouri Historical Society. In 1870 the (Hawken-) Gemmer shop moved from Wash ington Avenue, to 600 N. 3rd St.; in 1876 was moved again to 704 N. 3rd St.; moved again in 1880 to 700 N. 3rd, and in 1912 was found at 817 8th St., where it remained until Mr. Gemmer closed his business in 1915. John P. Gemmer died in 1919, and is buried at the Bellefontaine Cemetery.
Troy, N. Y., percussion period.
General Ordnance Co,
Derby, Conn. Manufacturers of aeroplane guns, 1920-26.
Unlocated. Flintlock Kentucky rifle dated 1809. Same as George, Jacob? Letters I and J. were interchanged rather freely at that period.
(Towanda) Pa. Flintlock Kentucky rifles marked I. Georg, dated 1809, and J. Georg, dated 1826.
Flintlock Kentucky rifle dated 1809. Probably identical with Georg I. and Georg Jacob.
GEORGE, J. S.
Monterey, Pa., 1832. Dated percussion rifle.
Milledgeville, Ga. Confederate shoulder arms plant located in the old Penitentiary Buildings, of Milledgeville, the former state capital, on grounds now occupied by the Georgia Normal and Industrial College. The armory was established by Act of Dec. 12, 1861, with funds raised by sale of 8% bonds, and was operated by Peter Jones, former employee at Harpers Ferry Armory. The first rifle made was presented to the Governor in August, 1862, and production was from 150 to 300 rifles per month until November, 1864, when the plant was burned by Sherman.
Gunsmith of Reading, Pa. Learned his craft of Nelson Delaney with whom he worked until 1873. Made a few breech-loading guns and active as a repairman until 1898.
Reading, Berks Co., Pa., before and after 1873. Ex-employee of Nelson Delaney until about 1872. Established own business in 1873. Active to 1898 and later.
Washington and Mohawk Streets, Buffalo, N. Y. 1836-38. Riflemaker.
Boston, Mass., 1709.
GERTEIS, L. G.
520 Poydias St., New Orleans, La. 1912. Curly maple stock percussion rifles.
GERY & BROS.
Philadelphia, Pa., lock makers for flintlock arms.
Williamsport, Pa. Kentucky flintlock rifles.
Riflemaker of Philadelphia, 1807-11.
Philadlephia, Pa. Associated with George W. Tryon, to whom he was apprenticed and whose partner he became in 1811.
Riflemaker of Lancaster Borough, Lancaster county, Pa., 1779-82.
Lancaster Borough, Lancaster Co., Pa., 1773-82.
Lancaster, Pa., 1799-1805. Had been inspector of small arms for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on contract to Abraham Henry and John Graeff, for 2,000 muskets, of April 11, 1798. Later was Inspector of Arms, from 1800 to 1806 on contracts of Jacob Lether and Conrad Welshance of York, and of Jacob Fondersmith of Strasburg. Peter Getz also acted as inspector of rifles made on govern ment contracts about 1803-07 with Tench Coxe, Purveyor of Public Supplies.
Philadelphia, Pa., 1812-16. Secured government contract January 13, 1815, for 100 rifles at $17.00, deliveries within one year.
Philadelphia, Pa., rifle maker, before and after 1815. Contractor of July 31, 1815, for 100 rifles at $17.00 to be delivered within one year. Listed as gun and blacksmith at 361 No. Front St., Phila., Pa., 1819.
Gibba Arms Co.
New York City. Lucius H. Gibbs. Active 1857-59.
Riflemaker of Lancaster, Pa., 1847-57.
Riflemaker of Lancaster, Pa., 1847-57.
Riflemaker of Lancaster, Pa., 1824-57.
Riflemaker of Honedale, Pa., 1824.
Gibba, Tiffany & Co.
Pistol and rifle makers of Sturbridge, Mass. Underhammer arms, about 1820-50.
Brownsville, Fayette Co., Pa. Maker of a fine, Ger man silver mounted, half stock, Kentucky style, percussion rifle of exceptionally good workmanship and engraving, with G. Goulcher lock. Probably the same as Joseph Gibbons.
See Gibbons, Jos., above.
St. Louis, Mo., 1859-1865; listed in directories as gun maker and locksmith. "T. GIBBONS" stamped inside the lock and on the trigger guard (integral with trigger plate) of an S. Hawken Plains rifle.
Bristol, Conn., percussion period.
Lancaster, Pa., 1857.
Lancaster, Pa., 1824; listed in 1857 directory and at W. Vine St. in 1869-70: died 1880. Fine late flintlock Kentucky rifles, one with German silver mountings by Tryon of Philadel phia and barrel by Werter; also percussion rifles.
Lancaster, Fairfield Co., Ohio, 1820's.
Honedale, Pa., 1824.
GIBBS, TIFFANY & CO.
Sturbridge, Mass., about 1820-50. Makers of under-hammer percussion pistols.
Knoxville, Tenn., 1812-1860. Flintlock and per cussion Kentucky rifles.
Tennessee mountain, flintlock rifle maker of Revolutionary War period. Fought at Kings Mountain and lived to be 107 years old.
Tennessee mountain, percussion rifle maker, mostly of "hog rifles." Last of three generations of mountain gunsmiths, William, the father, and Stephen, the grandfather, above. In 1946, at the age of 80, though no longer active, occasionally still worked at the anvil.
Son of Stephen Gibson. Great Smokey Mountain, Tenn., rifle maker. "Took about four months in making a rifle to be sold at court week at county seat, to help pay taxes." Half stock, percussion, octagonal barrel "hog rifle" marked in script.
Louisa County, Va., about 1790. Musket maker.
70 Market St., Baltimore, Md., 1819.
GILBERT & BALES
Perm Yan, N. Y. Percussion period.
Brookfield, Mass. Born 1749, died 1824. Secured government contract in 1808 a report dated Oct. 8, 1812, indicates 875 muskets had been delivered.
North Brookfield, Mass., musket maker, born 1729, died 1824, at the age of 96. During the Revolutionary War commanded a company which saw service at Bennington and Half Moon, July 13 to Sept. 2, 1777. In about 1782, established a forge and iron works on Five Mile River, Brookfield. Gilbert was a contractor under Act of July 5, 1798, for 2,000 Charleville pattern, (Model 1795) muskets at $13.40 per stand. Of these 875 are known to have been delivered by June 10, 1801. On Oct. 13, 1808, he contracted for 5,000 muskets for delivery within five years and 875 were reported delivered by Oct. 7, 1812.
Rochester, N. Y.
Rochester, N. Y. Maker of a full stock, "mule ear," pill lock, muzzle loading rifle, with side of barrel, at lock, equipped with a small cup to hold a fulminate pill. German silver furni ture.
Rochester, N. Y., 1837. Mule-ear hammer, Kentucky style pill-lock rifle.
GILES, RICHARDS & CO.
Boston, Mass., flintlock period.
GILL, B. D.
Pennsylvania; late flintlock and early percussion Ken tucky rifles. Heavy flintlock rifle stamped D. B. Gill with crossed arrow and tomahawk, given by Kit Carson to a Taos Indian in 1848.
Newburne, North Carolina, 1829, revolver?
GILL, T. D.
Lancaster Co., Pa., about 1830-1840. Late flintlock and early percussion Kentucky rifles.
Unlocated. Possibly Whitneyville, Conn. Undeham mer percussion rifle marked "W.G. 1846."
Riflemaker of Jackson, Ohio. Born 1798. Established at Jackson about 1842 moving to the west in the early fifties. A fine workman.
Jackson, Ohio. Active before and after 1842. Rifle maker.
New York. Double-barrel, percussion shotguns. Per cussion derringers.
North Carolina, period of 1825. Plain but beau tifully made flintlock Kentucky rifle. Three generations were gunsmiths.
Gunsmith of May Town, Lancaster County, Pa., 1782. May, or may not, have been a maker.
GILMER GUN FACTORY
See Alabama Arms Manufacturing Co.
Fayette Co., Ohio. Born in Virginia 1827; moved to Fayette Co., with three brothers when a young man and established a blacksmith and gunsmith shop. Made half and fullstock rifles, mostly 10 to 12-lbs. with 36" barrels; one over under rifle-shotgun. A good workman. Made his last rifle when 70, retired 1898, died 1905.
GILMER, William B.
See Alabama Arms Manufacturing Co.
Connelsville, Fayette Co., Pa. Percussion period. Related to Howard Gilmore. Signed his arms with his initials "H.G." in script.
Dickerson Run, Fayette Co., Penna. Maker of hunting rifles of good workmanship, with curly maple stocks oval patch boxes. Barrels of own make stamped with his name on top: mostly Leman locks. Born about 1900 and "still works some at the trade."
Lancaster, Pa., 1775-77. Musket maker to Com mittee of Safety. Excused by the Executive Council Dec. 5, 1777, from military duties for the making of arms for the State of Pennsylvania, in the employ and under direction of William Henry I.
Unlocated. Flintlock Kentucky rifle.
A Committee of Safety musket maker of Lancaster, Pa., 1775.
Philadelphia, Pa. Listed as gunsmith at rear of 137 Green St., in 1829.
Defective die of G. Goulcher, lock maker. The "O" is deformed to resemble "J." Note there is no period after initial "G" of "G GJULCHER"; no serif on stamped "J." See Goulcher, George.
Built two gunshops in Berks County, Pa., 1848. Sold out to Gougler & Haberling in 1859, they continued until 1862.
Wyomissing Creek, Pa. Built two gun shops in 1848, using the creek water power to bore and grind barrels. Sold his shops to Gouglar and Haberling about 1858.
Putnam, Muskigum Co., Ohio. War of 1812.
Ohio. No details.
Putnam, Muskigum Co., Ohio. Made rifles in War of 1812.
Inlaid flintlock Kentucky rifle. Lock by Carter Tomlinson.
Pennsylvania. Flintlock Kentucky rifles, circa 1820; one marked No. 207.
Glassick & Co.
Memphis, Tcnn. Produced back-action percussion deringers prior to the Civil War. Active about 1840 later becoming Schneider & Glassick which firm was subsidized by the Confederate government. Continued production until the Federals took Memphis.
GLASSICK & CO.
Memphis, Tenn. Percussion derringers. Later Schneider & Glassick.
Pennsylvania, about 1850. Walnut half-stock, octagon barrel, double set triggers percussion match rifle.
Unlocated. Rifle maker.
New Cumberland, Pa. Kentucky rifles.
Glaze & Co., Wm.
Established 1852 at Columbia, S. C. Served the Confederal government 1861-65 and marked their arms “Palmetto Armory”.
GLAZE, WILLIAM & CO.
Operators of the "Palmetto Armory" at Columbia, S. C. Made Model 1842 percussion pistols in 1852, and muskets and swords for the State of South Carolina, with machinery purchased from the Waters Armory of Millbury, Mass. During the Civil War the firm made cannon, mine rifle balls and 18 pdr. shells for the Confederacy. Probabilities are that flint lock muskets were converted to percussion between 1861 and 1865, but it is not believed that new arms were manufactured. The Palmetto Armory was burned by Sherman in 1865. Glaze's asso ciate in the firm was Mr. Boatwright. In 1870, Mr. Glaze, at one time a jeweler, advertised his return to the jewelry business.
Belleville, Indiana. Flintlock Kentucky rifles.
Charlotte, N. C. Heavy, octagonal barrel early per cussion rifle.
Gmehlin, Chas. H.
Gunmaker of Bloomington, Til., 1866-75, before and after.
Unlocated. Marking on barrel of a circa 1800, flint lock Kentucky rifle.
GODFREY & WELSH
Albany, N. Y. Made very fine shotguns. One specimen in existence today in a very heavy 4-gauge single barrel gun showing fine craftsmanship throughout. Percussion period.
Godfrey, Chas. J.
Pistol maker of 7 Warren St., New York City, 1889-91.
Gunlock smith of Reading, Berks County, Pa., 1767-68.
Portsmouth, Va., 1861. "A revolver which fires 9 times, each barrel discharging separately at intervals ... A bowie knife is also attached, which may be unshipped or re tained in service, at pleasure."
GOETZ & TRYON
Philadelphia, Pa., 1811. Frederick Goetz and George W. Tryon. See Goetz, Frederick above, and Tryon, George W.
Goetz & Westphall
Gunmakers of Philadelphia, Pa. Secured a government contract in 1808 for “muskets for arming the militia”. A report dated October 7, 1812, states 1019 arms delivered to date.
GOETZ & WESTPHALL
Pennsylvania musket makers. Charles W. Westphall and Frederick Goetz. Contractors of July 13, 1808, for 2,500 Model 1808 muskets, to be delivered within five years. Of these 1,019 were recorded delivered by Oct. 7, 1812.
Also Getz. Philadelphia, Pa. Listed as gunsmith in the City Directory at 225 N. Second in 1805, 237 N. Second in 1806-07, and on Sassafras Alley, 1809-11. In 1813-14-17, he is shown at 163 N. Second and 32 Sassafras Alley. Fred Goetz is also listed as gun maker at the Pennsylvania Arsenal, Juniper near High Street, in the directories 1816 to 1820. Was associated with George W. Try on in 1811, Try on having served his appren ticeship under Goetz, and then becoming his partner. See Tryon, Geo. W. Probabilities are that he is the Goetz of Goetz & West phall.
Unlocated. Marking on over-under percussion rifle.
GOLCHER & BUTLER
Philadelphia, Pa. Back-action percussion lock with brass plate, on Plains rifle owned by Kit Carson.
GOLCHER & CO.
Third Street, St. Paul, Minn., 1857-58.
GOLCHER & SIMPSON
St. Paul, Minn., 1855-56.
Also often Goulcher. New York, N. Y. Late flint and percussion periods. See Goulcher, George.
Gunsmith of Pennsylvania, died 1805.
Gunsmith of Philadelphia, 1833, before and after.
Philadelphia, Pa., died in 1805. See James Goulcher.
Philadelphia, Pa., before and after 1833. A 20^ inch percussion pistol.
New York, N. Y., percussion period.
Easton, Pa., 1775. Same as Goulcher, John?
Also Goulcher, Philadelphia, Pa., later Pacific Coast. Late flint, early percussion periods.
Gunsmith of Philadelphia, 1824.
Also Goulcher. Philadelphia, Pa., 1824.
Golcher, Thomas L.
Gunsmith, Philadelphia, 1868-75.
Gunsmith of Saint Paul, Minn. Made all manner of muzzle and breech-loading shotguns and rifles. During the years 1854 and ’58 Golcher was a member of a partnership, Golcher & Simpson. From 1858 to 1870 he operated alone.
St. Paul, Minn., 1854 to about 1870. Maker of muzzle and breech-loading rifles and shotguns. See also Golcher & Co., and Golcher & Simpson, with which firms William Golcher was associated.
Cartridge manufacturer of New York City, 1872- 77, before and after.
Lancaster, Pa., 1869-70.
Lancaster, Pa., before and after 1830.
Riflemaker of Lancaster, Pa., 1770-78.
Lancaster, Pa., 1770-78. Possibly as early as 1750.
Gonter, Peter, Jr.
Riflemaker of Lancaster, Pa. Active 1790 or before, died 1818.
GONTER, Peter, Jr.
North Queen St., Lancaster, Pa.; son of Peter Gonter. Arms maker. Petitioner to 7th Congress on Jan. 28, 1803, for non-removal of import duties on arms. Died in 1818. In 1792, Peter Gonter in association with Jacob Dickert and John Groff contracted for "rifle guns," $3,200 being paid on account. On Dec. 9, 1807, Gonter in association with Jacob Dickert and Henry DeHuff contracted with Tench Coxe, Pur veyor of Public Supplies, for 600 rifles.
Pennsylvania, 19th century. Kentucky rifles, German silver mountings as specialty.
Olean, N. Y. Halfstock percussion rifle and over under percussion rifle-shotgun. Perhaps related to Layton B. Goodell of Edinboro, Erie Co., Pa., and Albert B. Goodsell of Coudersport, Potter Co., Pa.
GOODELL, Layton B.
Edinboro, Erie Co., Pa. Early percussion period riflesmith.
Unlocated. Early percussion Kentucky rifles.
GOODRICH, W. W.
Of the firm Hyde & Goodrich, 15 Chartres, New Orleans, La.
GOODSELL, Albert B.
Coudersport, Potter Co., Pa. Advertised July 17th, 1847; "Terms: half cash, balance in grain, staples, lumber, furs or hides."
Unlocated. Late flintlock, double-barreled shotguns.
GOODWIN, J. P.
Waterbury, Conn. Half stock, percussion match rifle.
Lebanon, Conn., musket maker to Committee of Safety. Made 30 muskets; recorded April 13, 1778.
Yorktown, Va., 1738.
Or Gordan, J. Unidentified. About 1840-44.
Brig. General, Chief of Ordnance to the Con federate States. Born in Dauphin Co., Pa., July 1, 1818. Graduated from U. S. Military Academy in Class of 1841; assigned to Ordnance Dept. Served in Mexican War. Married a Southern girl while stationed in Alabama. Resigned April 1861 to become Chief of Ordnance to the Confederacy. After the War became superintendent of Briarfield iron works in Alabama. In 1877 was president of University of Alabama. Died May 15, 1883.
GORNING, Raymond P., M.D.
Detroit, Mich. Modern maker of per cussion rifles; designed improved underhammer lock.
Mt. Pleasant, Jefferson Co., Ohio.
Mt. Pleasant, Ohio.
GORSUCH, J. M.
Mt. Pleasant, Ohio. Silver inlaid half stock, per cussion rifle. (Related to Thomas Gorsage?)
Culler of Philadelphia, producing belt axes and knives, 1714-17.
Riflemaker of Portland, Maine, 1859-68.
Gunmaker of 12 Dauphin St., Mobile, Ala., 1863-75.
Also Gouger. Market Street, Philadelphia, Pa. Musket barrel maker to Committee of Safety in 1776. Special ized in boring and grinding barrels. Imported muskets in 1780. Had been associated with Wylie in cutlery business in 1774.
Musket and gunlock maker to the Committee of Safety, Pennsylvania, 1775-76. Commissioned to make 35 muskets in 1775.
GOUGLAR & HEBERLIG
Mohnton, Pa., about three miles south west from Reading, on Wyomissing Creek. Late flintlock period.
Made finished rifle barrels on Wyomissing Creek, between Gouglersville and Mohn's Store, Berks Co., Pa. Possibly the "Gouglar" of Gouglar & Heberlig of Mohnton, Pa.?
Also often Golcher. New York, N. Y. Late flint and percussion periods. Very prolific maker. A late Ken tucky, flint, rifle lock with reinforced hammer, roller frizzen spring bearing and Manton-type waterproof pan, marked "G. GOULCHER" in a scroll. Original percussion G. Goulcher lock on a rifle with barrel marked in Gothic letters "J. FORDNEY LANCASTER, PA."
Also Golcher. Philadelphia, Pa., died in 1805. A flintlock Kentucky rifle with maker's name on lock and barrel; another with incised carving and 10 silver inlays, marked "JAS. GOLCHER" on barrel.
Gunsmith of Easton and Philadelphia. Employed at the public gun works at Philadelphia in boring and grinding barrels. On February 22, 1777 the Committee of Safety agreed to allow him “28 shillings per piece for 300 Gun Barrels he has now finished and that he be allowed 30 shillings per piece hereafter while Iron continues at 6o£ per ton”. He returned to Easton after the closing of the arms factory at Philadelphia. Active 1775-81, before and after. (Pg. 522, Vol. I, 2nd Series, Penna. Archives.)
Easton, Pa., active before and after 1772-77. At one time employed in Philadelphia making gun barrels.
Pennsylvania, 1841. Same as Golcher, Joseph?
Clinton, Pa. Rifle maker.
GOVE, A. T.
1871. Small half stock percussion rifle, German silver mounted, lock by N. D. E. & Co., Memphis. Possibly same as Albert "Put" Gove, Lincoln, Vt.
GOVE, C. & CO.
Carlos Gove, Council Bluffs, Iowa, 1854-58. 21 Edmond St., Denver, Colo., 1874-77.
Born April 19, 1817 in Wentworth, N. H. Enlisted at 16 in First U. S. Cavalry, serving through the Seminole Wars and in the West; an Indian agent for many years. Apprenticed to Hawken at St. Louis; in business there 1847-1854, then at Council Bluffs, Iowa, until 1858; also located in Cheyenne, Wyo., and Ogden, Utah. At Denver, Colo., 1861 until retirement in the 1880's. Employed Geo. C. Schoyen after about 1862. In partner ship with John P. Lower as C. Gove & Co., 21 Edmond St.. Denver, 1876-77; died in Denver, July, 1900. Made heavy match and bench rifles, telescope sight, also double-barreled mule-ear rifles. A noted match shooter.
Riflemaker of Lancaster, Pa,, 1798.
Lancaster, Pa., musket maker. Associated with Abraham Henry in a contract of April 11, 1798, with the Com monwealth of Pennsylvania for 2,000 Charleville pattern, (Model 1795), muskets. One of the petitioners to 7th Congress on Jan. 28, 1803, for non-removal of import duties on arms.
Lancaster, Pa., 1751.
Reading, Pa., 1867-84. Kentucky rifles.
Riflemaker of Reading, Penna., 1751-84.
GRAFF, H. C.
Unlocated. Kentucky flintlock rifle, wrist checkered in basket weave.
Musket maker associated with Nicholas White and Christopher Barnhizle in a contract under Act of July 5, 1798, for 1,000 Charleville pattern, (Model 1795) muskets at $13.40 per stand with 235 known delivered by June 10, 1801.
GRAH, William & Son
Toledo, Ohio, 1877-83.
Graham, Edmund H.
Patented a magazine arm October 4, 1853.
Pennsylvania; Kentucky rifles.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Percussion rifles.
GRANDSTADTT, J. (also Granstatt or Grandstatt)
Unlocated. Skilled maker of highly decorated flintlock Kentucky rifles.
Grant & Co.
Hedenberg Works, Plane St. at Morris Canal, Newark, N. J. Henry L. Grant and Joseph Sherwood. On November 9, 1869 secured patent on peculiar muzzle-loading target gun. These were first offered for sale in 1872 and exhibited at Philadelphia in 1876.
GRANT HAMMOND MANUFACTURING CORPORATION
New Haven, Conn., 1915, Manufacturers of an auto-pistol.
St. Patrick's Row, Baltimore, Md., 1810.
Walpole, N. H. Musket maker 1799-1801. Asso ciated with Amasa Allen and Joseph Bernard in a contract under Act of July 5, 1798, for 1,500 Charleville pattern, (Model 1795), muskets at $13.40 per stand and of these 1,396 were de livered by June 10, 1801.
GRANT, W. L.
Makers of W. L. Grant 6-shot rim-fire revolver.
Grant, W. N.
Riflemaker of Greenfield, Mass. Active. 1854-68.
Grant-Hammond Mfg. Corp.
New Haven, Conn. Produced the Grant- Hammond automatic pistol the distinguishing feature of which was the ejection of the magazine with the firing of the last (10th) shot. This arm was submitted to the army in the early months of the World War but was not adopted.
GRATIOT MFG. CO.
St. Louis, Mo., about 1860. Makers of a .44 caliber percussion revolver.
Riflemaker of Lancaster Borough, Lancaster County, Pa., 1769-73-
Lancaster Borough, Lancaster Co., Pa., 1773.
Bangor, Maine. Underhammer percussion rifle.
GRAY, G. B.
Mt. Vernon, Ohio, 1867-70.
Gray, J. B.
Riflemaker of Fredericksburg, Va., 1829-36. Patented a gunlock October 7, 1834.
Ornate, German silver mounted, full walnut stock, percussion target rifle equipped with cap and patch boxes
Unlocated .Reported maker of a small, maple half stock, percussion ladies' rifle, inlaid in silver animal designs.
Unidentified. Heavy 18th century flintlock Kentucky rifle, so marked on lock and barrel.
Great Western Gun Works
Pittsburgh, Pa. Established 1865 by J. H. Johnston and active until 1921 or later. Shop at 621 Smithfield St. Produced rifles, shotguns and combination guns.
GREAT WESTERN GUN WORKS
Pittsburgh, Pa., 1866-1916. Makers of 5-shot, rim-fire, cartridge revolvers and sporting guns. Founded in 1866, by James H. Johnston at Penn and Wayne Streets, Pitts burgh. The plant burned down in 1868 and was reopened at 179 Smithfield St. In 1874 the plant was moved into a 4-story building at 285 Liberty Street. Though 25 workmen were employed, some of the finer stock was imported from Europe. The following from "Manufacturers of Pennsylvania, 1875": "Great Western Gun Works, Pittsburg. This important in dustry of western Penna. was founded by James H. Johnston, in 1866, in a small building at the corner of Penn and Wayne Streets, Pittsburg. The founder being a practical gunmaker and possessing natural business qualifications, his venture proved a success from the start. Two years later, in 1868, his little estab lishment was destroyed by fire, and the proprietors lost almost everything, having little or no insurance. However, with that energy born of a determination to make his way in the world, he recommenced operations at 179 Smithfield st. and soon re covered from the shock. Here business so prospered with him that he was compelled to seek more commodious quarters, and he moved his manufactory to the 4-story building at 285 Liberty street in 1874. To give an idea of the rapid growth of the Great Western Gun Works, it may be stated that the first years busi ness, in 1866, amounted to only $2500 in value; in 1874, it reached over $150,000. The proprietor finds his chief difficulty in obtain ing skilled labor, and for this reason is compelled to have some of his finer stock manufactured in Europe. He employs on an average of 25 men, all skilled workmen, and obtained after careful selection. He attributes his success to his practical knowledge of gunmaking and strick attention to the wants of the trade, especially in sporting firearms, for which class of goods he has a constant demand in every State and Territory of the Union. This establishment is devoted exclusively to the manufacture and sale of firearms, and the proprietor gives his undivided attention to the business. He is the largest manufacturer and dealer in his line in the state west of the Alleghanies."
Red Clay, Ga. Making flintlock Kentucky rifles about 1800.
Rochester, N. Y., 1876-78.
Green, Charles; Green & Ailing
Shotgun manufacturers of 3 West Main St., Rochester, N. Y. The partnership was effective from 1871 to 1876, Green continued alone thereafter and until 1879 or later.
Great Smokey Mountains area. Heavy octagonal barrelled "hog rifle," percussion period. Name found on barrel along with the markings "EUR JA KI."
GREEN, James Capt.
Connecticut musket maker to Committee of Safety. Received from Titus Homer, one of the Arms Committee, a draft on the Treasurer, with instructions to pay "Green," a gunsmith employed in making guns for the Colony.
Vassar, Mich. Partner of Thomas W. Barnes, late 19th century, as Barnes & Green. Over-under rifle-shotguns; breech loading side-by-side rifle-shotgun.
Greene Rifle Works
Milbury, Conn. Produced Lieut Col. J. Durell Greene's bolt action, breech-loader, patent of June 27, 1854. This arm was the first bolt action used by the government as a few were purchased during the Civil War.
Greene Rifle Works
Worcester, Mass. Produced James Warner’s patent February 23, 1864 breech-loader. Active 1865-67.
GREENE RIFLE WORKS
Worcester, Mass., 1864. Makers of Greene carbine.
GREENE, Jas. D.
In charge of production of the Greene under hammer, oval bore, bolt action, percussion rifle made at Wor cester, Mass., (in the old Waters shops) with machinery bought from Chas. W. Lancaster of London, England. The arm was patented by Lt. Col. J. Durrell Greene, U. S. Army, Nov. 17, 1857, patent No. 18,634. An advertisement published in Boston in 1862, mentions the Greene rifles being then in the process of manufacture by the Millbury Co., Worcester, Mass., Jas. D. Greene being in charge of the works. There were 900 Greene rifles purchased by the government during the Civil War, and some were used in the Battle of Antietam, the peculiar car tridges, with the bullet rearmost, having been found on the battlefield. Two hundred Greene carbines, patented June 27, 1854, side hammer, equipped with Maynard primer purchased from J. D. Greene by the government on May 24, 1855, at $30.00 each Ordnance report of Nov. 5, 1857, shows 170 Greene carbines were issued for use to the army. Probabilities are that Jas. D. Green, or J. D. Greene, the arms vendor, and J. Durrell Greene, the inventor were related, and not the same person. The government was not likely to purchase arms from an army officer.
GREENLAND, E. M.
Unidentified. Percussion Kentucky rifles.
Pennsylvania arms maker in the employ of Lewis Prahl, musket maker to Committee of Safety. On June 12, 1776, Greentree was ordered discharged or furloughed from the army in order to return to gun making under Prahl.
GREENWOOD & GRAY
Columbus, Ga. Confederate rifle and sword factory established on City Lot No. 188, purchased Jan. 17, 1862, by Eldridge S. Greenwood and William C. Gray, cotton mer chants, and Abraham H. DeWitt, sword maker, who had charge of the sword making operations of the firm. The rifle factory was operated by John P. Murray, and the arms stamped "J. P. MURRAY" 358 Mississippi rifles (M. 1841) and 153 carbines were furnished the State of Alabama between Oct. 1, 1863 and Nov. 1, 1864. The plant is believed to have been burned by General Wilson in 1865, and a cotton mill later erected on the sif\ was known in 1888 as the "Steam Cotton Mill," owned by J. Rhodes Browne.
Gregory, James Jr.
106 Cannon St., New York City. Manufacturer of yacht cannon, 1888-90.
Boston, Mass., 1727.
Lancaster, Pa., prior to 1783. Kentucky rifles.
Griffen & Howe
234-240 East 39th St., New York City. Rifle makers, big game guns a specialty.
Griffith, J .
Gunlock maker of Louisville, Ky., 1869-70.
Louisville, Ky., in 1843 at Market St., between 5th and 6th; in 1848 at 294 Green St.: 1848-49 on Walnut St., be tween Campbell and Wentzel. In 1854 on an arms buying trip to England. Active also 1869-70. Employed James Day.
GRIFFITHS & SIEBERT
729 Main St., Cincinnati, Ohio, 1852-54. See John Griffiths.
Cincinnati, Ohio.. Active 18391865 or later. Produced many beautifully finished shotguns and rifles. In 1845 secured a government contract for 5000 rifles but being unable to make deliveries this contract was taken over by Remington. From 1852 to fall of 1854 Griffiths was associated with Henry L. Siebert as Griffiths & Siebert.
Cincinnati, Ohio, 1839, to about 1865. Contracted Dec. 6, 1842, for 5,000 rifles at $13.00 each to the delivered at 1,000 per annum. The contract was taken over by E. Remington & Son due to Griffiths' inability to make deliveries. Associated with Henry L. Siebert in 1852-54. Rifles and shotguns.
Sheridan, Lebanon, Co., Pa. Possibly made barrels only
Lancaster, Pa., 1857.
Mohnton, Wyomissing Creek, Berks Co., Pa. Gun barrel maker.
Griswold & Grier
Griswoldville, Georgia. Produced revolvers for the Confederacy, 1862-64.
GRISWOLD & GRIER
Giles H. Griswold and E. C. Grier, Griswold ville, Ga., (near Macon), manufacturers of Confederate, brass frame, .36 caliber revolvers patterned after Colt's Model 1851, Navy. The undertaking originated as a factory for the manufacture of cotton gins founded at Clinton, (first called Albany), by Samuel Griswold and Daniel Pratt, who came to Clinton from Connecticut about 1807. Pratt later moved to Alabama to found Prattville. As the plant was not on the railroad, Griswold pur chased 4,000 acres at Station 18, on Central Railroad, erected works about a mile from it, called Griswoldville. When the War started, Giles H. Griswold, successor to Samuel, obtained a loan from the Confederate Government to convert the plant to arms making. On his death the business was carried on by Griswold's brother-in-law, Col. E. C. Grier. In Confederate Ordnance records the plant is also called "Gris wold & Gunnison." A total output of some 3,600 revolvers are believed to have been furnished to the Confederacy at fifty dollars each, from summer of 1862 to Nov. 20, 1864 when the plant was destroyed by the 10th Ohio Cavalry, during Sherman's march to the sea. Also destroyed were the soap factory, candle factory, shoe blacking factory and every house in Griswoldville except Mr. Griswold's, Mr. Grier's and a few negro houses. The ruins of the smokestack are still standing.
GRISWOLD, A. B.
New Orleans, La. Importer of arms for the con federacy. The name appears on English made, Tranter percussion revolvers.
Riflemaker of Chambers county, Alabama. Active 1837-44, before and after. Secured a patent on “a method of combining barrels of guns and firearms” February 1, 1842.
Sword cutler to the Confederacy at New Orleans. Active 1855-64.
Pennsylvania. A fine over-under Kentucky rifle.
GROFF, H. S.
Unlocated. Kentucky style halfstock percussion rifle, engraved silver inlays, name on brass barrel-inlay.
GROFF, H. W. (or H. S.?)
Unlocated. Kentucky rifles.
Lancaster, Pa., early 1800's. Kentucky rifles. Same as John Groff?)
Lancaster, Pa., rifle maker. In association with Jacob Dickert and Peter Gonter, contracted in 1792 for "rifle guns"; $3,200.00 being paid them on account.
West Union, Adams Co., Ohio.
Gunsmith of Pittsfield, Mass., 1866-68, Minneapolis, Minn., 1869-71.
Pittsfield, Mass., 1866-68. Also Minneapolis, Minn., 1869-71. Same? Percussion rifle.
GROSS ARMS CO.
Henry and Charles B. Gross, Tiffin, Ohio, 1864-66. Makers of the Gross patent rim-fire 7-shot revolvers.
GROSS, H. & C. B.
Henry and Charles Gross. See Gross Arms Co. Active together 1852 to about 1864. Henry Gross had been as sociated with Gwyn & Campbell, and was active in the arms making industry from about 1849 to 1880. Charles B. is listed alone from 1880 to 1886.
Gross, Henry Jr. and C. B. Gross Arms Co.
Henry Gross Jr., was born July 21, 1813. He established a gunshop in Tiffin, Ohio in 1841.About 1852 he was joined in, business by Charles B. Gross and thereafter the firm was listed as the Gross Arms Co., or H. & C. B. Gross. Henry secured eight arms patents during the period 1855-64. His patent of August 25th, 1863 was adopted by Gwynn & Campbell of Hamilton, Ohio and the Gross carbine was produced by that firm. After the Civil War the Gross Arms Company continued until about 1875 then Charles B. Gross continued until 1886. (Pg. 403, “History of Seneca County, Ohio,”. Lang, Springfield, O., 1889.)
Rifle and pistol maker of Tiffin, Ohio. Born in Union County, Pennsylvania, January 6th, t8io. Established at Tiffin in July of 1831. He retired about 1876 and was still living in 1886. (Pg. 738> “History of Seneca County, Ohio,” Warner-Beers, Chicago, 1886.)
Grove & Co.
Guntnakers, 21 Edmond St., Denver, Colo., 1847-77.
Lancaster, Co., Pa., 1815-1840. Flintlock Kentucky rifle.
Unlocated. Flintlock Kentucky rifle circa 1815.
York County, Pa., 1779-83, flintlock Kentucky rifles.
Grover & Lovell
Boston, Mass., 1841-44. A short lived partnership. John P. Lovell.
GROVER & LOVELL
Boston, Mass., 1841-44. See John P. Lovell Arms Co,
Chillicothe, Ohio, 1804-1818.
GRUBB, Col. Peter
Lancaster, Pa., gun barrel maker to Lancaster Committee of Safety. Operated a forge for the manufacture of gun skelps for musket barrel. Marcus Nagle, Nicholas Scove, Thomas Nabury, Peter McMullen and John Jones (stocktaker), in his employ at the forge, were excused on Aug. 16, 1776, by the Lancaster Committee, to remain at work and not march with the militia.
New York, N. Y., percussion period.
GRUBB, J. C.
Maple full stock, octagon, smoothbore percussion Ken tucky with oval brass patchbox and set triggers. See also Grubb, Jos. C. & Co.
GRUBB, Jos C. & Co.
712 Market St., Philadelphia, Pa., from before 1855 to 1886.
Philadelphia, Pa., about 1820 and later. Beautiful, silver inlaid flintlock Kentucky rifle; ornate, finely made pair of flint lock Kentucky duelling pistols; flintlock holster pistol.
Grudchos & Eggers
Julius Grudchos and Selmar Eggers. Makers of whaling guns at New Bedford, Mass. Patented a bomb-lance May 26th, 1857, No. 1737a The partnership was short lived being dissolved in i860.
GRUDCHOS & EGGERS
New Bedford, Mass. A fine percussion target rifle beautifully carved and engraved. Samuel Eggers, working alone in New Bedford about 1840-1865, made a heavy 100 caliber percussion whaling gun with wood forestock, half octagon barrel and back-action lock.
Pennsylvania pistol maker. Had worked in the Warwick Iron Works which cast cannon during the War of Revolution.
In association with Peter Brong and Abraham Henry, had contracted with Tench Coxe, Purveyor of Public Supplies, for pistols and rifles. John Guest is probably identical with I. Guest, letters J and I being interchanged rather freely at that time.
Muray, Pa. Percussion Kentucky rifles.
Columbia, S. C. See Radcliffe & Guignard.
A Committee of Safety musket-maker of Massachusetts, 1775-76.
Massachusetts, 1775-76. Musket maker to Com mittee of Safety.
GUION, T. F.
New Orleans, La. Percussion derringer.
Rifle and shotgun maker. Born in Bedford County, Pennsylvania, November 28th, 1823. After serving an apprenticeship at Plymouth, Ohio, lie established in Upper Sandusky, Wyandotte County, Ohio, in 1849. Active until 1884. A fine workman. (Pg- 594* ‘‘History of Wyandotte County Ohio”, Leggett, Conway & Co., Chicago, 1884.)
Upper Sandusky, Wyandotte Co., Ohio, 1852-82.
Lancaster, Pa., 1869-1870 and before. (Also Gompf, Gumph?) Related to, probably contemporaneous with Christopher Gumpf - used C. GUMPF die overstamped with initial A. Both made flintlock Kentucky rifles in the late 19th century. A German silver mounted halfstock percussion rifle, A. W. Spies back action lock.
Riflemaker of Lancaster, Pa. Born 1761. According to Reigart (History of Robert Fulton, 1856) he was apprenticed to Jacob Messersmith in 1779 at 18 years of age. Established for himself about 1791 and active until 1798 and after.
GUMPF, Christopher (or Gumph)
Lancaster, Pa., before 1830-after 1888. Very long Kentucky rifles; made a flintlock rifle as late as 1888.
Unlocated. Flintlock Kentucky rifle, circa 1800.
Lancaster, Pa., died about 1887. A rotating over under flintlock rifle-shotgun; percussion Kentucky rifles. Three 59-inch rifling guides, straight cut or rifled one turn in 48 inches.
Riflemaker of Lancaster, Pa., 1847-58 before and after. Shop at Walnut and Mulberry Sts.
Or Gumpp. Lancaster, Pa., 1798. Musket maker. One of the petitioners to the 7th Congress on Jan. 28, 1803, for the non-removal of import duties on arms.
Riflemaker of Lancaster, Pa. Active before and after 1848, died 1887.
Pennsylvania; Kentucky rifles.
GUYER, J. P.
Muncie, Pa. Over-under percussion Kentucky rifle shotgun with back-action locks. Probably same as John Guyer and J. P. Guyler, late percussion Kentucky rifles.
GUYLER, J. P.
Unlocated. Late percussion Kentucky rifles.
McCoysville, Juniata Co., Pa. Maple full-stock, octagon barrel, flintlock Kentucky rifle with double set-triggers.
GWYN & CAMPBELL
Hamilton, Ohio. Edward Gwynn and Abner C. Campbell. Established the Cosmopolitan Arms Co., or the Gwyn & Campbell "Arsenal and Gun Factory" at Hamilton, in the fall of 1860, for the manufacture of the Cosmopolitan breech loading percussion carbine, patented Oct. 21, 1862. The arm was also known as the Union, or the Grapevine. The firm employed 120 workmen during the Civil War, and furnished 9,342 carbines to the government, as well as quantities to military organizations and to the State of Kentucky. The Cosmopolitan carbine is sometimes also referred to as the Gross, after Henry Gross who was associated with Gwyn & Campbell in the development of the arm, and secured patents covering minor improvements in the action
Gymn & Campbell Cosmopolitan Arms Co.
Hamilton. Ohio. Patent was granted Edwin Gwyn and A. C. Campbell on breech-loading mechanism, October 21, 1862. This arm became the Cosmopolitan and in addition the Union and Gross were likewise made here.. During the Civil War the government purchased 9342 paying $199- 838.29.
|Sitemap: in Italiano | auf Deutsch | in English ||
|http://www.earmi.it - Enciclopedia delle armi © 1997 - 2003|