R. & W. C. B. CO—See R. & W. C. Biddle
R. F. — Unidentified. Bedford County, Pa. Percussion Kentucky rifles.
R. F. S. — Unidentified. Plain percussion Kentucky rifle, brass mounted without patchbox.
R. H. — Unidentified. Percussion Kentucky rifle.
R. H. P. — Unidentified. Percussion rifle.
R.C. — Initials of R. Chandler, U. S. Inspector of Arms within years 1831-1850.
RADCLIFFE & GLAZE— Columbia, S. C, after 1865 and before 1870. T. W. Radcliffe and William Glaze (q.v.). Sporting goods; name stamped on percussion double-barreled shotguns made else where.
RADCLIFFE & GUIGNARD— Columbia, S. C. Marking on long per cussion fowling piece, probably imported. See T. W. Radcliffe.
RADCLIFFE, T. W.— Columbia, S. C, 1856-64. Importer of shoulder arms and hand arms for the Confederacy. English Tranter revol vers known marked with Radcliffe's name. Reputed to have made shoulder arms: doubtful.
Radcliffe, Wm.—Gunmakcr of Middletown, Conn., 1865-75, before and after.
Radclifife, T. W.—Confederate gunsmith of Columbia, S. C. Active 1858-64, before and after.
Rader, Wesley—Riflemaker of Londonderry, about twelve miles from Chillicothe, Ohio, 1855 to about 1880.
RADFONG, Frederick — Conestoga Township, Lancaster Co., Pa., 1770-72.
RADFONG, George— See Redfang, George
RAFFSNYDER, John—Or Reiffsnyder. Reading, Berks Co., Pa., 1779-85.
Raffsnyder, John or Reiffsnyder—Gunsmith of Reading, Berks County, Penna., 1779-85.
Raible—Born in Germany April 12, 1827. Migrated to the United Slates and worked in various parts of the country from 1858 until the early nineties. Located in Warren, Ohio, where he died in 1905. Produced rifles, revolvers and double guns, including a number of heavy forty-rod rifles. Made all of his parts and was an excellent craftsman. Signed his early barrels “Raible” and his later “Ripley.”
RAIKE, Levi — Lincoln Co., Ky. Reported percussion half stock rifle.
RALPH, N. H. — Unlocated. Percussion rifle that came from West Virginia.
RAMAGE & CARRIER— Trinidad, Col., 1877-81.
Ramage & Carrier—Gunmakers of Trinidad, Colo., 1877-81.
RAMSDELL, Charles V. — In partnership with John Neal as Ramsdell & Neal, Harlow St., Bangor, Me., post-Civil War. The parner ship dissolved, Ramsdell opened a shop on State St.; later sold to James Holt and committed suicide. Fine heavy percussion target rifles; Snider-action breechloaders. Heavy telescope-sight match rifle, lock marked "C. V. & J. W. RAMSDELL, BANGOR, ME."
Ramsdell, G. V. & J. W.—Riflemakers of Bucksport and Bangor, Maine. G. V. was active from 1859 or before until about 1864 then G. V. & J. W. continued until 1872. Became Ramsdell & Neal, 1872 and active until 1877 or later.
RAMSDELL, V. G.— Buckport, Me.
RANDALL, Joseph C. — Unlocated. Marking on the lock of a per cussion Kentucky rifle.
RANDALL, Myron — Waupaca, Wis. Made .44 caliber muzzle-loading percussion rifles as late as 1935. Also invented and made spring operated air guns. Born 1878, died 1944.
RANKIN— See Clark & Rankin.
RANKIN & WERTER— Unlocated. (Probably Pennsylvania). Barrel maker's stamp under breech of late Kentucky percussion rifle from Maryland.
RANKIN, John— York Co., Pa. Kentucky rifles.
Ransom, James—With Joseph J. Williams and Christopher Dudley established at Public Gun Factory at Halifax, N. C. in 1776. Produced muskets for the Committee of Safety until 1778 or later.
RANSOME, James — Or Ransom. Superintendent of the State Gun Factory at Halifax, N. C, 1776-78. See North Carolina Gun Factory.
RAPPAHANNOCK FORGE— Falmouth, Va., on the north side of Rappahannock River. Rappahannock Forge was the alternate name of the Hunter Iron Works established by James Hunter at Falmouth, Va., some time before the Revolution. At the outbreak of the war, the works were considerably enlarged; a manufactory of small arms was added, slitting mills were con structed, and anchors and war material manufactured. The factory was dismantled on May 30, 1781, due to the approach of a British raiding party under Tarleton, who was operating from Cornwall's force, which had arrived at Peters burg, about seven miles south of Richmond on May 20, 1781. The removal of the equipment and machinery was supervised by General Weedon, a laid-on* Continental officer. Later the workmen were recalled and the works enlarged, but failing to receive financial support from the State of Virginia, James Hunter dismissed the remaining workmen and closed the fac tory Dec. 1, 1781. Doubtless the threat of a possible raid and destruction of the works by a raiding party from the British fleet was a contributing factor in permitting the closing of Rappahannock Forge. See Hunter, James.
Rappahannock Forge—Established near Fredericksburg, Virginia, by Act of June, 1775, Assembly of the Colony of Virginia. Colonel Fielding Lewis and Charles Dick were appointed to “Form, Establish and Conduct” a manufactory for small arms which they accordingly proceeded to do, production beginning the following year. Dick was active in this connection until February, 1781 or later.
RASH, B. — Unlocated. Percussion rifle with lock by G. Goulcher.
Rathfong, Frederick—Riflemaker of Conestogoe (Conestoga) twp., Lancaster County, Penna., 1770-72.
Rathfong, George—Lancaster County, Penna. Born 1750. Established his own gunshop in 1774 but on August 24th, 1776, he was mustered into the service under command of Captain Nathaniel Page of Colonel Mathias Slough's Battalion, Lancaster County Militia. Early in 1777 he was detailed “to make guns for the Army in the factory of William Henry, Esq., at Lancaster.” How long he remained in this connection is not known. Following the Revolution ho returned to his private practice which he continued until shortly before his death in 1819. (Pg. 465, '“A Biographical History of Lancaster County,” Alex. Harris, Lancaster, Pa., 1872.)
Rathfong, Jacob—Gunsmith. Established in Marietta, Lancaster County, Penna., 1810. Active until his death in 1839. (Pg. 465, Harris. See above.)
RAUB, William— New York, N. Y., at 3rd Ave., and 67th St., and later 629 Union Ave., Bronx. Born in Germany in 1810. Emigrated to U. S. in boyhood. Claimed to have made guns for Buffalo Bill Shows; repaired arms for Union forces stationed around New York City during Civil War. Died Jan. 9, 1921.
RAUBER, Feder— Berks County, Pa., 1730.
RAURMAN, G. — Unlocated. Percussion rifles.
Rawson, R. L.—Gunmaker of Brooklyn, N. Y. Active from before 1867 until he quit in 1875.
Raymond & Whitlock—Sword cutlers of New York, 1870.
RAYMOND, William— Winona, Minn., 1864-65.
Raymond, William—Riflemaker of Winona, Minnesota, 1858-65, before and after.
RAYNES— New York, N. Y. Percussion target rifle.
Razolini, Onorio—Armourer to the Colony of Maryland, 1740-41.
READ, N. T. — Danville, Va. Inventor of the Read breech-loading carbine, Confederate patent No. 154 of March 20, 1863. The arm is believed to have been made by Keen Walker & Co., of Danville, with Read in charge of operations.
READ, Robert — Chesterton, Md., arms maker to Committee of Safety, 1775.
READ, William— 11 Water St., Baltimore, Md., 1802-04.
READ, William — Boston, Mass. Apparently dealer and importer. Sold a quantity of .44 Allen & Wheelock revolvers to the Government during the Civil War.
Read, William—A Committee of Safety gunsmith at Chesterton, Maryland, 1775.
Read, William, Read & Sons—William established in Boston in 1826. About 1852 became Wm. Read & Sons at 107 Washington Street and continued until 1870 or later. Not found in 1875.
READING— Pennsylvania, period of 1780. Flintlock Kentucky rifles, also an original "smooth bore rifle."
READING'S FACTORY— Vicksburg, Miss. Said to have made fire arms for the Confederacy. Machinery shipped to Atlanta, Ga. in 1862. On Sept. 11, 1862 Col. James H. Burton with Capt. M. M. Wright and Maj. Cuyler made a selection of machinery from it.
READY, L.— Unlocated. Flintlock Kentucky rifles of about 1780-1800 period.
Reason, David—Gunsmith of Lancaster, Penna., 1749-80. Perhaps more than one generation.
REASON, Jacob — (Also Reagon?) Frederickstown, Md., Revolutionary War rifle and musket maker to Councils of Safety in both Virginia and Maryland. Financed by Josiah Chapman who rented his shop, and hired him and his men on a wage basis. Procured many of his parts, if not most, by purchase all over Maryland area, to be used in assembly of arms.
REASOR, David— Lancaster, Pa., 1749.
REASOR, David— Lancaster, Pa., 1770-80. (Same as above?)
Rector & Robinson—J. H. Rector and L. H. Robinson, gunsmiths of Syracuse, N. Y. about 1855. Produced “plains” rifles.
RECTOR, C. A. & J. H.— Syracuse, N. Y. J. H. Rector (also Rocketer), Syracuse, 1845-55. Halfstock percussion Plains rifles.
RECTOR, J. H. & J. O. ROBSON— 109 Main St., Buffalo, N. Y., 1850-53. Percussion sporting rifles, marked "J. H. Rector and J. O. Robson, Buffalo."
RECTOR, J. H. & L. W. ROBINSON— Syracuse, N. Y. Percussion sporting rifles.
Reddick—Baltimore, Md. Contract musket maker to Maryland Council of Safety who had delivered 70 muskets prior to January 31, 1776. (Vol. XVI, Archives of Maryland, Browne, Baltimore, 18930
REDFANG, George — Also Redfan, Radfong, Raddfong, or Rathfong. Pennsylvania arms maker. Excused by the Executive Council, Dec. 5, 1777, from military duties for the making of arms for the State of Pennsylvania, in the employ, and under supervision of William Henry I of Lancaster.
REDFORD, Arter— Near Jefferson City, Mo. Percussion Kentucky rifles.
REED— Seville, Ohio, about 1850. Patent breech half-stock percus sion rifle.
REED, E. M.— Unlocated. Percussion pistol.
REED, J. P. — Unlocated. Marking on light, walnut halfstock, Penna. squirrel rifle.
REED, John— Troy, N. Y., in 1836; Kentucky rifles.
REED, Joseph — Lancaster, Pa. About 1800 and after.
REED, Robert — Chestertown, Md., Revolutionary War musket contractor.
REED, William— 11 Water St., Baltimore, Md., 1802.
REEDY, L.— "KRATZTOWN" (Pa.?) Marking on barrels of a curved stock, swivel-breech, superposed Penna. rifle, circa 1820.
Reid, J.— Pistol maker of New York City and Catskill, New York. Active 1862-68, before and later. Produced “My Friend” knuckle-duster, patent of November 26, 1865.
REID, James— New York, N. Y. At 167 E. 26th St., in 1862 and at 171 E. 26th St., in 1863-64. Maker of Reid cartridge revolvers. These were infringements on the Smith & Wesson controlled patents, and in 1865, Reid started the manufacture of "My Friend" knuckle-duster revolvers, believed to have been made by Reid at Catskill, N. Y.
REID, Samuel — Phila., Pa. Listed as gun stocker at 91 Dillwyn in 1829.
REID, Templeton— Milledgeville, Ga., 1824.
Reid, Templeton—Riflemaker of Milledgeville, Georgia, 1824.
REID, William— Spartanburg Co., S. C. Early gunsmith.
REIGART, Peter — Lancaster, Pa., musket maker to Committee of Safety. "Agreed to set to work Monday, Nov. 20, 1775, to make muskets and bayonets."
REIN — New York, N. Y., on the Bowery. Fancy Schuetzen rifle. Died 1914.
Rein, John—Riflemaker of New York, 1863-75, before and after.
REINHARD, J. C— Also Reihart. Ohio.
REINHARD, P. A.— Also Reinhart. Rifle maker known for fine work manship and accuracy of his arms. Arrived from Germany at the age of six, and lived with his parents at Columbus, Ohio, until 22 years old, when he was apprenticed to one Sprague, a gunsmith of Loudonville, Ohio. In about 1850, Reinhard worked under Billing hurst at Rochester, N. Y., thence went back to Loudonville, on his own. Reinhard died about 1899, at Dayton, Ohio, where he had moved in 1896. Rifles usually marked with name, address and masonic emblems.
REINHART, J.— Maddensville, Pa.
REINHART, P. A.— See Reinhard, P. A.
Reinhart, Peter A.—Reinhart, a native of Germany, was brought to America when but six years of age. His family located at Columbus, Ohio about 1842 and soon thereafter Reinhart entered the gun shop of Sprague at Loudonville, Ohio. In 1850 he pursued his studies in the shop of William Billinghurst of Rochester, New York, one of the greatest gunsmiths of his time. Returned to Loudonville about 1853 and continued until 1896 thence to Dayton where, shortly thereafter, his advancing years compelled him to retire. Reinhart was an exceedingly skillful workman and his rifles brought a handsome price. An ardent marksman, he attended numerous matches throughout the country and qualified for a generous share of the prizes.
Reising Arms Co.—Waterbury, Conn. Produce the Reising .22 caliber automatic pistol. Formerly the Reising Mfg. Corp., N. Y., Reising Arms Co., Hartford, Conn., and New Haven Small Arms Co., New Haven, Conn.
REISS, A. — Utica, N. Y., percussion telescope rifle.
REMINGTON ARMS CO. OF DELAWARE— Eddystone, Pa. World War arms manufacturers, later a part of the Midvale Steel & Ordnance Company. Produced 1,181,908 Model 1917 rifles (Enfield) for the U. S. government from Aug. 1, 1917, to Nov. 9, 1918.
REMINGTON ARMS CO., INC.— Established by Eliphalet Reming ton and his son, Eliphalet, Jr., makers of rifle barrels, in Ilion Gorge, N. Y., in 1816, when young Remington turned to the manufacture of complete firearms. In 1825, the plant was moved to Ilion, to take advantage of the transportation facil ities afforded by the Erie Canal. Eliphalet, Sr. died three years later, in 1828. In 1844, Eliphalet (Jr.) took his son Philo into the firm, the name being changed to E. Remington & Son. In 1845, Remington took over a contract of John Griffiths of Cincinnati, Ohio, of Dec. 6, 1842, for 5,000 Model 1841 rifles at $13.00 each, on which Griffiths had been unable to make deliveries. The Remingtons made good on the contract, and it was followed by another for an additional 7,500. In the meantime, in 1846-47, the Remingtons took over an uncompleted N. P. Ames contract for side-hammer, percussion navy carbines made on the Jenks patent breech-loading system. These arms were made at the Remington's Herkimer plant, and differ from the N. P. Ames arms in having tape-primer locks. Sept. 9, 1854, Remingtons obtained a contract for 20,000 Maynard tape-primer locks for the modification of muskets for the army, largely Model 1821 arms, the work being done at the Bridesburg Armory. In 1856, two other sons, Samuel and Eliphalet (3rd) were taken into partnership, the name changing to E. Remington & Sons. About 1859, Remingtons brought out their first martial percussion revolvers made on Beal's patent of Sept. 14, 1858. This was followed by the Remington Model 1861, and in turn by the famous New Model. During the Civil War, the Remingtons furnished the govern ment with 10,000 modified Model 1841, saber-bayonet rifles on contract of Aug. 11, 1862, at $17.00 each, and an additional lot of 2,500 at the same price, was contracted for Dec. 13, 1863. On Dec. 14, 1863, Remingtons contracted to furnish 40,000 Spring field rifle muskets Model 1863, at $18.00, the deliveries on which began May 31, 1864, and were completed March 24, 1866. An earlier rifle contract for 10,000 arms of July 30, 1861, has been mentioned, in connection with Remington Civil War contracts; it is believed however, that if such was the case, that it was cancelled or made a part of a later contract, as no deliveries have been recorded. Remingtons also furnished 2,814 Beals revolvers and 125,314 Remington percussion revolvers. In 1865, the Company was incorporated and secured the services of Joseph Rider, the famous arms inventor, and en joyed a period of prosperity until 1886, when it failed and was reorganized as the Remington Arms Company. The control of the business passed from the Remington family to Hartley & Graham of New York. The Company was merged in 1902 with the Union Metallic Cartridge Company and became known as Remington-UMC. Later the name was changed again to Rem ington Arms Company, Inc. Between the Civil and World Wars the Company produced a wide variety of military arms for our own and many other governments as well as sporting arms of all types. Its efforts in the service of the United States reached a climax with the production of 545,541 rifles, Model 1917, (Enfield) between Aug. 1, 1917, and Nov. 9, 1918.
Remington, Eliphalet; E. Remington. & Sons; Remington U. M. C. Co.; Remington Arms Co., Inc.—Eliphalet Remington, Jr., founder of the Remington Company, was born in 1793. In his youth he was employed in the blacksmith business of his father. Possessed of considerable ingenuity and business acumen he realized the splendid possibities of the arms market and in 1816 brought out his first rifle. Plis arms being favorably received he invested in additional equipment and gunmaking was undertaken to the exclusion of other activities. In 1844 Philo, son of Eliphalet, Jr., entered the business, the firm then taking the name E. Remington & Son. The following year a contract held by John Griffiths of Cincinnati for 5,000 rifles for the government was taken over by Remington. in addition to the plant at Ilion another was established at Herkimer, N. Y. Model 1841 muskets were manufactured at Herkimer in 1848-49 and a portion of the arms provided by contract of November 21, 1851 were made here also. This later contract covered 5,000 rifles. In 1846 took over a contract held by N. P. Ames for several thousand Jenk's patent May 25, 1838 carbines. On September 9, 1854 received contract for parts for altering 20,000 muskets to receive Maynard primers, at $3.15 each. The firm name was changed in 1856 to indicate the entrance of two additional sons in the business, these being Samuel and Eliphalet 3rd. Eliphalet Jr., the founder, died in 1861. The following government contracts were received during the Civil War: July 30, 1861, 10,000 Model 1855, Harpers Ferry muskets at $20.00 each. August 11, 1862, io,coo additional at $17.00. December 13, 1863, 2,500 ditto at $17.00. The government also purchased 2,814 Beal’s patent September 14, 1858 revolvers during the period 1861-65. In 1865 the business was incorporated and the services of Joseph Rider secured. The Rider-Remington or Remington System action was developed and a period of great prosperity followed which extended througli the period of 1868-80. During this period the Remington-Lee bolt action was adopted to add prestige to the Remington arms. Some idea oi the volume of production maintained during this period can be gained from the following figures of amis delivered : 1867,12,000 U. S. Navy Rifles. 1867,85,000 Rider-Remingtons for Spain 1868,3,000 for Sweden; 50,000 for Egypt. 1870, 145,000 rifles for France. The following deliveries are of uncertain dates : New York Cuba Egypt Chile 21.000Porto Rico 89.000Spain 55.000Mexico 12.000 10.000 130,000 50.000 During the Russo-Turkish War both belligerents bought heavily from the Remingtons, the Turkish order for 210,000,000 rounds of ammunition being the largest placed to that time-1879. From 1880 to 1885 produced Keene’s patent 1874 bolt-action rifles and carbines for the U. S. government. Due to the manufacture of unrelated articles the firm failed in 1886 but was shortly thereafter revived as the Remington Arms Company. Control of the business bad passed from the Remington family . to Hartley & Graham of New York who were also interested in the Union Metallic Cartridge Company of Bridgeport, Connecticut. In 1902 the two firms were consolidated as the Remington U. M. C. Company later taking the name Remington Arms Co., Inc., to date. During the early days of the World War, Kagant rifles were made for the Russian government. In September, 1917, a U. S. contract for 15,000 water-cooled Browning machine guns was secured but these were not delivered by Remington. Produced Very signal pistols, Mark III and countless other ordnance items for the U. S. however. On June 1, 1934 the Parker Brothers shotgun manufactory was taken over. In addition to the before mentioned arms, Remington has produced the following: Elliott’s derringers, 4, 5 and 6 barrel, patent August 17, 1858; May 29, i860 and August 27, 1867. Rider’s vest pocket pistols, patent October t, 1861. W. S. Smoot’s revolvers, patent 1873. J. F. Thomas’ percussion gun cane, patent February 9, 1858. Beal’s revolvers, patent September 14, 1858. James H. Merrill’s breach-loader, patent January 8, 1856. Remington Navy pistols, Model of 1867, breech-loading, rare. Remington Army pistols, Model of 1871, breech-loading. Keene magazine rifle, J. Keene patent February 1874. Used in the service 1880-85. Austin F. Freeman’s breech-loader, patent January 2, 1872.
REMINGTON, Samuel— Ilion, N. Y. Second son of Eliphalet Reming ton II, born April 12, 1819. In the 1850's he set up a manufactur ing plant within his father's factory buildings, making Merrill Spigot rifles, barrels and brooms. Admitted to partnership in 1856, and became president of E. Remington Sons Co., after his father's death in 1861. Died Dec. 1, 1882. A back-action per cussion lock on a heavy whale gun, marked "S. REMINGTON ILION, N. Y."
REMLEY, John H.— Lancaster, Pa., 1857.
REMMERER, David— Unlocated.
RENDYLES, Bernard— Steubenville, Ohio, 1852-54. Gun barrel maker.
Rendyls, Bernard—Rifle barrel maker of Steubenville, Ohio, 1852-54.
RENKER, Rudolph— Lancaster, Pa., 1857.
RENKIN — Iron mounted, over-under, rifle-shotgun with right and left.
RENWICK, Edward S*— New York, N. Y. Maker of "Double Header" 2-shot cartridge pistols.
Repeating Rifle Co.—1533 Bristol St., Philadelphia. Made rifle with revolving cylinder, T915-16.
RESOR, J. — Unlocated. An early flintlock Kentucky rifle.
RESSER, Peter— Lancaster Borough, Lancaster Co., Pa., 1779-1802
REUTHE, F.— Unlocated. Trap pistol patented May 12, 1857.
Reuthe, F.—New Haven. Conn., 1854-60. Produced trap guns, single and double barrel for light, medium and heavy game, patent 1857-
Revere, Paul; Revere & Son —Revere, of “the midnight ride” fame, established a foundry in the north part of Boston in the 1780’s. In 1800 he announced the discovery of a method “to make copper so mailable as to hammer it hot”. The government granted him a loan of Sio,ooo and in 1801 he bought a water-power site at Canton, Mass. He produced numerous brass cannon used in the Revolution and War of 1812; the copper used in the construction of the “Constitution” and her two sister ships and the boilers for Robert Fulton’s later ships. The firm he established continues to date as the Revere Copper and Brass Incorporated.
REVOL, J. B. — New Orleans, La., gunsmith listed in the City Di rectory from 1842 through 1885. Located at 346 Royal in 1853. Stock bought out by P. Bouron when business was discontinued.
REXER— Canton, Stark Co., Ohio. Early.
REYNALL, Richard— -56 Water St., Baltimore, Md., 1802.
Reynold*, Plant & Hotchkiss—New Haven, Conn. Produced Plant’s patent revolver, the invention of Willard C. Ellis and N. White. Patents were granted July 12, 1859, July 21, 1863 and August 25, 1863.
REYNOLDS— Lancaster, Pa., about 1800. Flintlock Kentucky rifle.
REYNOLDS, F.— New York, N. Y., 1866. 8 ga. Percussion shotgun.
REYNOLDS, Francis— Troy, N. Y., in 1835. Kentucky rifles.
REYNOLDS, J. A.— Unlocated. Gun barrel maker.
REYNOLDS, PLANT & HOTCHKISS— New Haven, Conn. See Plant's Mfg. Co.
REYNOLDS, Thomas— Troy, N. Y., in 1835. Kentucky rifles.
Rheimer, William—Riflcmaker at 63 Randolph Street, Detroit, Mich. Active 18.58-67, before and after.
RHEINHARL, P. A.— Misreading for Reinhard, P. A.
RHINEHART, J. C— Ohio, 1840-60.
RHINEHART, Rudolph— Bear wallow Hollow, Va., 1785. Flintlock Kentucky rifle.
RHODES, William — Providence, R. I. Musket maker associated with William Tyler in a U. S. contract under Act of July 5, 1798, for 2,000 Charleville pattern (Model 1795) muskets at $13.40 per stand. Of these 950 were delivered by June 10, 1801.
RICE, Ralsa C— Ohio. Born 1838; died 1911.
RICE, Samuel F. — See Wallis & Rice.
RICH, Henry — Canton, N. Y., percussion period; riflesmith.
RICHARD — N. Y. Three barrel percussion gun one barrel rifled.
RICHARDS, C. B.— Unlocated, 1874.
Richards, L. B.—Musket maker of Lynchburg, Va., about 1825-35.
Richardson & Cutter—66 Central St., Lowell, Mass., 1865-68.
RICHARDSON & OVERMAN— Philadelphia, Pa. Civil War makers of Gallager breech-loading percussion carbines of which 17,728 were bought between 1861-64. An additional 5,000 Gallager car tridge carbines were purchased between May 4, and June 3, 1865.
Richardson & Overman—Philadelphia, Pa. Produced Mahlon J. Gallagher’s patent July i860 carbines, during the Civil War. This weapon breaks up (like a shotgun) for loading and takes a linen covered .54 caliber cartridge. Later this arm was altered to receive a rim-fire cartridge and was submitted to the breech-loading tests of 1865 as the Richardson. The firm was active producing ordnance from 1862 to 1866.
RICHARDSON, C. Y. & BRO.— Charleston, S. C, 1867.
RICHARDSON, Joel— Boston, Mass., 1816-25.
Richardson, Joel—Gunsmith of Boston, Mass., 1816-25.
RICHARDSON, O. A. — Lowell, Mass. Heavy, percussion telescopic Civil War sharpshooter's rifles.
Richardson, O. A.—Riflemaker of Lowell, Mass., 1857. Produced fine match rifles.
RICHARDSON, Wm. A. — Worcester, Mass., arms manufacturer. Born 1833. Worked for Ball & Williams and for Frank Wesson, With Gilbert H. Harrington organized the firm of Harrington & Richardson in 1874. See the latter firm.
RICHMOND ARMORY— Richmond, Va. See Virginia Manufactory.
Richmond Armory—A Confederate arms factory at Richmond, Va., in the early part of the Civil War.
Richmond Forging Co.—Richmond, Va. Produced naval gun forgings during the World War.
Richmond Iron Works-—Richmond, Va. Produced Navy projectiles 1906-11.
RICHMOND, S.— Unlocated. Maker of over-under, "mule ear" lock percussion rifle.
RICHWINE, C.— Reading, Pa., gun barrel maker, late flintlock, early percussion periods. Richwine rifles are known stocked in curly maple, with locks by Joseph Golcher.
RICKARD ARMS CO. — Cheap double barrel, hammer breech-loading shotguns.
RICKETS, John— Mansfield, Ohio, 1859-74. Half-stock perc. target rifle.
Rickets, John—Riflemaker of Mansfield, Ohio, 1859-83.
RICKETS, T.— Mansfield, Ohio.
RICKS, Thomas— Boston, Mass., 1677
Ridabock & Co.—Sword cutlers, 149-151 West 36th St.. New York. Established 1847 and active to date.
RIDDEL— Lancaster, Pa., 1770. Kentucky rifles.
RIDDLE — North Carolina maker of a percussion lock pistol generally patterned after U. S. 1842 Model.
RIDDLE — Low and medium quality commercial percussion locks, variously decorated and marked "Riddle" in ribbon scroll or oblong cartouche.
RIDDLE, W. G. & CO.— Philadelphia, Pa. Kentucky type, full stock, flintlock smoothbores.
RIDEOUT, J. — Unlocated. Reported full stock, sporting-military flint lock rifle.
RIDER, NATHANIEL & CO.— Southbridge, Mass., 1857. Saw-handle, under-hammer percussion pistols.
RIFE, Charles— Cadiz, Harrison Co., Ohio, 1800-12.
RIFE, Charles— Cincinnati, Ohio, 1855-56.
Rife, Charles—Riflemaker of Cincinnati, Ohio, 1854-56.
RIFE, Harry C— R. F. D. No. 2, Leesburg, Ohio. Born Feb. 14, 1907, in Ross Co., O.; learned gunsmithing under Win Woods of Peebles, Ohio. Makes rifles from old parts; specializes in barrel work.
RIGDON, ANSLEY & CO.— Augusta, Georgia. Revolver manufac turers to the Confederacy. Arms patterned after the Colt Navy 1851. Charles H. Rigdon, mechanic and machinist, was a mem ber of firm of Rigdon & Harmsted, scale manufactures of St. Louis, Mo., about 1854. In 1860, Rigdon was in Memphis, Tenn., operating a scale shop. Early in 1862, in partnership with Thomas Leech, he organized the Memphis Novelty Works, at Main & McCall Streets, for the manufacture and repair of swords. May 9, 1862, on approach of Union forces, Leech and Rigdon moved to Columbus, Miss., where some revolvers were made, thence on orders to move the plant to safer area, they went to Greensboro, Ga., about 15 Dec. 1862. March 6, 1863, the firm received a Confederate contract for revolvers, manufacture of which began in the purchased plant of the Greensboro Steam Factory, also known as Greensboro Mills. In December 1863 the partnership was dissolved and Rigdon moved to Augusta, Ga., probably taking the machinery and contract with him. In January 1864 he organized the firm of Rigdon, Ansley & Com pany, his partners being Jesse A. Ansley, C. R. Keen and A. J. Smythe. The company plant was on Mallory Street, where their iron frame, 12 cylinder stop Confederate Colts were made until Ansley was drafted and the mechanics conscripted into a de fence battalion which participated in the fight at Griswoldville in Nov. 1864. The plant operations ceased about Jan. 1865, at which time Ansley offered his one-fourth interest for sale in a newspaper ad. See also Leech & Rigdon.
Rigdon, Ansley & Co.—Augusta, Ga. Produced revolvers for the Confederacy, 1863-64.
RIGGINS, THOMAS— Knoxville, Tenn., 1862-63. "Armorer to the Confederacy." Riggins was born in McMinn County, Tenn., in 1821 and was apprenticed at the age of ten to a gunsmith relative. By 1845 his sporting rifles gained a reputation in old time shooting matches and were said to "get the beef." At the outbreak of Civil War he contracted to make rifles for arming the "East Tennessee Squirrel Shooters," a State volunteer cavalry unit. Volunteering in '61 for Col. Vaughn's Third Tennessee Regiment, he was detached to Knoxville to supervise the instruction and labor of sixty mechanics in con version of percussion and flintlock sporting arms into short, percussion, large-bore cavalry carbines, until the shop was destroyed by Union forces. See A. L. Maxwell, Jr. & Co.
Riggins, Thomas—Confederate, gunsmith of Knoxville, Tenn., 1862-63.
Riggins, Thomas—Gunsmith of McMinn County, Texas. According to Sawyer he was born in 1821 and still living in 1910. Same as above?
RIGGS, B.— Bellows Falls, Vt, 1850.
Riggs, B.—Riflemaker of Bellows Falls, Vt., 1850.
RIGGS, Joseph, Jr. — Derby, Conn. Repaired arms for the Committee of Safety. Account submitted for repairing guns taken from "inimical persons"; June 1776. RILEY, Edward Cincinnati, Ohio, 1816-18
RIGHTER, J.— Cadiz, Harrison Co., Ohio, 1800-1812.
RIGHTER, J. G.— -Cadiz, Ohio. Percussion Kentucky rifles, possibly a few flintlocks. Related to J. Righter?
Riley, Edward—Riflemaker of Cincinnati. Ohio, 1816-18.
RILEY, William L.— Watertown, Washington Co., Ohio, 1850-54.
Riley, William L. —Riflemaker of Watertown, Washington County, Ohio, 1849-54.
RILING, John — Juanista Valley, Pa. Percussion period.
RILING, John — Unlocated. Maple full stock, brass trim, octagon barrel, percussion Kentucky rifle.
RINER, Michael— Lancaster, Pa.
RINGLE, A. — Unlocated, possibly Pennsylvania. Kentucky rifles.
RINGLE, M. — Bellefonte, Center Co., Pa. Late percussion period. Curly maple, silver inlaid, full stock rifle with stock marked "M. RINGLE" and "BELLEFONTE," in two lines. Another curly maple full stock rifle with oval patchbox, twice marked "M. RINGLE" on top flat; back action lock marked "WHITMORE WOLFF DUFF & CO. PITTSBURGH, PA."
RIPLEY (RAIBLE)— Warren, Ohio, about 1850; 24-lb. percussion match rifle.
RIPLEY BROS.— Windsor, Vt., 1835.
Ripley Bros.—Gunmakers of Windsor, Vermont, 1835.
RIPLEY, E. K.— 1401 Alaska St., Seattle, Wash. Born in 1846; retired 1918.
RIPLEY, J. W. — Major Ordnance Superintendent Springfield Armory from April 16, 1841 to August 16, 1854.
RISHER, D'N'L — Daniel Risher, unlocated. Percussion Kentucky rifle.
RISLEY, Hiram— Saquoit, N. Y. Born 1804; died in the Seventies.
RISLEY, M. Shirley— North Brookfield, N. Y. Still active. Worked with N. H. Roberts in the development of the .257 Roberts cartridge.
RITTENHOUSE, Benjamin— Worcester Township, Montgomery Co., Pa. Active before and after 1776-78. Musket maker to Committee of Safety for 200 stands at 4 pounds, 5 shillings each. With Peter De Haven established the State Gun-lock Factory at Philadelphia in March, 1776. Later the factory was expanded to include manufacture of arms. See Pennsylvania State Gun Factory. The proposal that Rittenhouse take charge of the "Provincial Gun-lock Factory" was made to him by the Committee of Safety on Feb. 9, 1776. On the 16th, Rittenhouse accepted the post at a salary of £250 per annum, and was directed to come to Philadelphia on Feb. 26, 1776.
Rittenhouse, Benjamin—Executive head of the State Gun Factory, French Creek, Penna., 1777-79. It is doubtful that Rittenhouse . was a practical workman though he contracted in 1776 for 200 muskets at 4:5s.
RITTER, Jacob— Philadelphia, Pa., 1775-83.
Ritter, Jacob—Riflemaker of Philadelphia, Pa., 1775-83.
RITZEL— Canton, Starke Co., Ohio, 1816-1840. (Father of P. M. Ritzel?)
RITZEL, P. M.— Starke County, Ohio, active before and after 1840 53. Rifle maker prior to 1850, after which specialized in manu facture of gun-barrels.
Ritzel, P. M.—Rifle barrel maker of Stark County, Ohio. Produced rifles prior to 1850 and gun barrels exclusively thereafter. Active 1855 or later.
RJ5. — Lock marking of a maple half stock, octagon barrel, late per cussion Kentucky rifle with two patch boxes and set triggers.
RLDD & SPENCER— Canon City, Col., 1877-80.
ROBB, John — Superintendent Springfield Armory from November 1, 1833 to April 15, 1841.
ROBBINS— Scott Co., Tenn. Kentucky rifles.
ROBBINS & LAWRENCE— Windsor, Vt., about 1847-55. The firm began with the association of Richard S. Lawrence with N. Kendall at Windsor, Vt., in 1843. In 1844 they were joined by S. E. Robbins, and secured a government contract for 10,000 Model 1841 rifles. (See Robbins, Kendall & Lawrence, above.) About 1847, Robbins and Lawrence bought out Kendall's inter est, the firm continuing as Robbins & Lawrence. January 5, 1848, they contracted for 15,000 Model 1841 percussion rifles at $12.87 % each, delivery at Springfield, Mass. It is reported that though some of the output of arms made for the government were rejected, the firm prospered because of the demand for arms created by the California gold rush. About 1850 the firm under took the manufacture of 5,000 Jennings rifles incorporating the Horace Smith improvements of Patent No. 8,317, of Aug. 26, 1851. At about this time they were also making 5-shot per cussion pepperbox pistols, and undertook the construction of railroad cars, but failure to obtain expected contract resulted in a heavy loss. In 1851, the firm exhibited their arms in London, which resulted in a contract for Enfield rifles. Encouraged, they con tracted to make 5,000 Sharps rifles at Windsor, and 15,000 Sharps rifles and carbines at a plant they were to erect at Hartford, Conn. The Sharps Co. Hartford plant was completed in 1853 under supervision of Mr. Lawrence, and the firm under took a contract of 25,000 Enfield rifles with a promise of 300,000 more. However, this did not materialize, and Robbins & Lawrence, heavily involved in preparations for the order, failed. The auctioned plant was acquired by E. G. Lamson, A. F. Goodnow and B. B. Yale, under the name of Lamson, Goodnow & Yale of Windsor, Vt., which in turn was succeeded by E. G. Lamson & Co., then Windsor Mfg. Co. In 1869 Mr. R. L. Jones joined the Company; in 1879 Jones & Lamson was organized to take over the machine business, which had been one of the side lines of the Windsor Company. Jones & Lamson are still active in Springfield, Vt., where they had moved from Windsor in 1889. When the Robbins & Lawrence firm failed, Mr. Lawrence took charge of the operations at the Sharps plant at Hartford, which remained under the Sharps Rifle Co. stockholders' control.
ROBBINS, C— Tioga, Pa. Flintlock maker.
ROBBINS, C. — Pennsylvania? Percussion Kentucky rifle.
Robbins, C.—Shotgun maker of New York, about 1870.
ROBBINS, KENDALL & LAWRENCE— Windsor, Vt., 1844 to about 1847. Contractors of Feb. 18, 1845, for 10,000 Model 1841 per cussion rifles at $11.90 each, duration five years, delivery to be made at Springfield, Mass. This contract was completed eighteen months ahead of time. Shortly after completion of this contract, Robbins & Lawrence bought out Kendall's interest in the firm and continued the business under the name of Robbins & Lawrence. See below. Also see Kendall, N. & Co.
Robbins, Kendall & Lawrence—Windsor, Vermont. Samuel E. Robbins, Nicanor Kendall and Richard S. I-awrence. Received government contract February 18, 1845 for 10,000 Model 1841 rifles at $11.90, deliveries within five years. After 1847 became Robbins & On January 5, 1848 received contract for 15,000 rifles at $12.8754. About 1849-50 they produced Lewis Jennings’ tubular magazine rifle with lever action. Jennings also designed the cartridge employed with this arm - a lead bullet with a hollow base which contained the propellent charge. D. B. Wesson and B. Tyler Henry, who at the time were employed by Bobbins and Lawrence, later improved the action and ammunition of this arm which subsequently became the Winchester. Produced G. Leonard’s patent 1849 pepperbox pistol. R. S. Lawrence became master-armourer at Sharps Rifle Mfg. Co., Hartford, Conn., in 1852 and continued in this connection until 1864 or later. (Pgs. 745, 746. “History of American Manufactures,” Bishop, Phila., 1864.)
ROBBINS, W. E. — Manesburg, Pa. Maker of percussion rifles.
ROBBINS, W. G.— Windsor, Vt. Percussion rifles.
Roberts & Kimball—1 Cambridge Road, Woburn, Mass. Established x935- ^T- IÍ. Roberts is the designer of the new .257 cartridge and has contributed numerous articles to the literature on arms.
ROBERTS BREECH-LOADING ARMS CO.— 39 Broadway, N. Y., 1865-74. Controlled by Gen. Benjamin S. Roberts, inventor of the Roberts army rifles and carbines, and of the Roberts system of alteration to breech-loaders, patented Feb. 27, 1866. The Roberts arms were manufactured by the Providence Tool Co. The Roberts conversion system was adopted by the State of New York in 1867.
ROBERTS, W.— Dansville, N. Y., 1850. Four shot, "pepperbox" type, percussion rifle.
Roberts, W.—Riflemaker of Daneville, N. Y., 1850.
ROBERTSON, Wm. — Well known Philadelphia gunsmith, maker of duelling pistols. Listed as gunsmith at 102 Carpenter in 1829. In the 1841-44-45 McElroy's Philadelphia Directors, Wm. Robinson, gunsmith is listed at 90 S. 2nd. He is believed to be identical with Robertson, for William Robertson, gunsmith is shown re siding at 90 S 2nd in 1846-47-48-49. His subsequent addresses (under Robertson) are shown at SW 2nd and Walnut in 1851-52-53; SE 2nd and Dock in 1854-55; 47 Walnut below 2nd in 1856-57 and at 131 Walnut in 1859, last entry.
ROBINSON— Philadelphia, Pa., 1830-1855. Kentucky rifles.
Robinson Arms Manufactory—Richmond, Va. S. G. Robinson. Produced Confederate Sharps in 1862. Exact copy of the original Sharps except the brass butt-plate and barrel-bands. Probably produced as many as one thousand of these arms.
ROBINSON, E.— New York, N. Y. Edward Robinson, Civil War con tractor for Springfield muskets, Model 1861: - June 10, 1863-20,000 at $20.00; 12,000 delivered. Dec. 29, 1863-5,000 at $18.00; 4,000 delivered. Feb. 23, 1864-15,000 at $18.00; 8,000 delivered. Oct. 4, 1864-7,000 at $18.00; 6,000 delivered.
Robinson, Edward—New York, N. Y. Secured the following government contracts during the Civil War: June 10, 1863, 20,000 rifled Springfield muskets. December 29, 1863, 5,000 same.. February 23, 1864, 15,000 same. October 4, 1864, 7,000 same. Prior to May 8, 1865 had delivered 30,000 muskets for which he received $558,733.20.
ROBINSON, S. C. — Richmond, Va., Confederate arms manufacturer, operator of S. C. Robinson Arms Company. Had a contract for manufacturing shells for U. S. in 1860.
ROBINSON, S. C. ARMS COMPANY— Richmond, Va., 1862-63. Located on canal near Petersburg railroad bridge. Makers of Confederate Sharps carbines. Revolvers on the Whitney pattern were also to be made, but proposals were withdrawn in 1861. Operated by Samuel C. Robinson, owner of the Belvidere Planing Mills of Richmond, who furnished the capital and Lester, the foreman in charge of works. Taken over by the Con federate Government in 1863 and removed to Tallassie, Ala., in 1864.
Robinson, W. S.—Riflemaker of Mount Clemens, Michigan. Active 1857-67, before and after.
ROBINSON, Wm.— Philadelphia, 1841-1845. See Robertson, Wm.
ROBSON, James O.— Ill Main Street, Buffalo, N. Y., 1854-7.
Roby, C.—Sword cutler of North Chelmsford, Mass. Produced cavalry sabers for the government 1863-65.
Rocher, Lewis C.—Gunmaker of Springfield, Mass. Active 1858-73.
Rochester Gun Co.—Rochester, N. Y. Gun manufacturers 1919-21.
ROCK ISLAND ARSENAL— Rock Island, 111., 1843 to date. Facilities for anufacture and repair of U. S. rifles, Model 1903. The arsenal produced 47,251 Model 1903 rifles during the World War.
Rock Island Arsenal—Rock Island, 111. A government arms factory from 1843 to date. Here the design and limited production of artillery material, gun carriages, limbers, caissons, tanks and tractors is carried on; There are also facilities for the production and repair of small arms. The arsenal has a nominal land value of $4,000,000; buildings and equipment $43,500,000 and bridges $1,250,000. The area embraces 896 acres.
Rocketer, J, H.—Riflemaker of Syracuse, N. Y., 1850.
ROCKETER, J. H.— Also Rector, Syracuse, N. Y., 1845-55.
RODGERS, John— See Rogers, John.
Rodman, Thomas Jefferson—Brevet Brigadier General, U. S. A. Born 1815, died 1871. In 1849 Lt. Rodman devised and applied a process for casting large cannon in hollow form instead of in solid blocks to be bored subsequently. This method bears his name and is still employed in modified form. Beginning with the 12-inch Columbiads (invented by Colonel G. Bomford and adopted by the French as the “Paixham”) he practiced this method at the. Fort Pitt Cannon Company, Pittsburgh, Penna. In i860 a 15-inch gun was completed on this method followed by a 20-inch in February, 1864. Rodman was the inventor of the first reliable pressure gauge for use in cannon, manmoth powder and perforated-cake powder. (cf. Pg. 145, "History of Pittsburgh,” S. Killikelly, Pittsburgh, 1906. Pgs. 16, 17 “History of Manufactures in the United States,” Clark, New York, 1929.)
ROEMER, O. E — Unidentified. Percussion rifles.
ROESCHEN, C. A.— Unlocated. Half stock percussion rifle with patent breech.
Roeser, Matthew—Riflemaker of Lancaster County, Pa., 1744.
Roeser, Peter—Riflemaker of Lancaster, Pa. Active from 174r to 1782. William Henry, Sr. served his apprenticeship with Roeser about 1745-50. (Many references, Penna. Archives, 3rd Series, Vol. 17.)
ROESSER, Matteas — Also Roeser, Matthew, Mathias or Mathew. Lancaster County, Pa., before and after 1740-51. Kentucky rifles. William Henry I, served his apprenticeship under Roesser.
ROESSER, Peter— (or Roeser), Lancaster, Pa., 1741-1755 and probably after 1780. Flintlock Kentucky rifles.
ROESSLER, C.— Charleston, S. C., 1867.
ROGER, J.— Highland, 111.
ROGERS & BROS.— Philadelphia, Pa., about 1820. Pistol makers.
ROGERS & HEART— Utica, N. Y. Percussion pistol.
ROGERS & SPENCER— Willowdale, N. Y., about seven miles south of Utica. Civil War makers of Pettengill percussion hammerless revolvers under the Raymond & Robitaille patent of Nov. 15, 1856, of which 2,001 were bought from Rogers & Spencer by the War Department between Oct. 20, 1862, and Jan. 17, 1863. Later the firm manufactured the Rogers & Spencer percussion revolver made under the H. S. Rogers patent of Nov. 4, 1862, No. 36,861. There were 500 of these well made arms bought from Jan. 30, 1865, to Sept. 26, 1865, too late for use in the Civil War. The Rogers & Spencer revolvers were really a develop ment of the Freeman revolver. The firm acquired the Freeman patents and improved and refined the arm, producing a sturdy, handsome and well balanced weapon.
Rogers Brothers—Gunlock makers of Philadelphia about 1820-30.
Rogers* R.; Rogers & Hearst; Rogers & Spencer—Utica, N. Y. R. Rogers was active about 1847-50 as a pistol maker. The partnership of Rogers and Hearst followed the dates from before the Civil War. Rogers & Spencer, Utica, produced 5,000 Freeman's Patent revolvers for the government at $12.00 each, 1863-64. Rogers & Spencer, Willow Vale, X. Y., delivered 2.001 C. S. Pettengiirs Patent, July 22, 1856 revolvers on a contract received for 5,000. The Pettengill was improved and patented by Raymond & Robitaille, July 27, 1858. On November 4th, 1862, H. S. Rogers of the firm of Rogers & Spencer, Willow Vale was granted a patent on revolver improvement.
ROGERS, H. — Unidentified. Lock marking on a flintlock Kentucky rifle.
ROGERS, H. D. — Unlocated. Over-under percussion rifle-shotgun.
ROGERS, John — Philadelphia, Pa., ironmonger listed (with Charles Rogers) in the City Directories at 7 N. 2nd Street, in 1809, and at 52 High Street, from 1810 to 1824. Then Rogers Brothers & Co., are listed at 52 High Street, until 1846. John Rogers (sometimes also spelled Rodgers) bought the Valley Forge in 1814. On March 21, 1821, in association with Brooke Evans of 120 High St., Philadelphia, Rogers took over the refunct contract of Alexander McRae of Richmond, Va., of July 28, 1817, for 10,000 muskets at $12.75 per stand. Brooke Evans remodelled the old forge and iron works into a gun factory, and by Dec. 31, 1823, John Rogers and Brooke Evans are recorded to have delivered 5,730 muskets on the contract. On Jan. 1, 1825, John Rogers (alone) contracted for 5,000 Model 1816 muskets at $12.25 per stand, to be delivered at the rate of 1,000 per annum. This contract was probably shared with Wm. L. Evans, a practical gun-maker who managed the Evansburg arms works. The Valley Forge descended to a nephew, Charles H. Rogers, then to female descendants, until bought by Pennsylvania for a park.
Rogers, John—In 1814 he secured a mill and forge near the mouth of Valley Creek, Chester County, Pa. He remained in this location until the spring of 1821 when he disposed of the lease to Brooke Evans. He next established in the city of Philadelphia where he was active until 1825 or later. Took over the government contract of Alexander McRae, of Richmond, Virginia. This contract was issued to McRae on July 28, 1817 and covered 10,000 stands of arms complete at S14.00 each. Received government contract January 1, 1825 for 5,000 muskets complete at $12.25. Deliveries to be made to Frankford Arsenal within five years. (U. S. 153, Doc. 101, American Stale Papers.)
Rogers, L.—Gunlock maker of Xenia, 0M 1868-79, before and after.
ROGERS, R.— California. Brass mounted, pill-lock rifle.
ROGERS, Wm.— Philadelphia, Pa. Listed as gunsmith at 30 Brown, in 1829.
ROGERS, Wm. — Philadelphia, Pa. Listed as gun powder manufac turer at 3 Minor, in 1829.
ROHRER, Leopold— New Castle, Pa., 1873-1939. Born in St. Peter, Baden, Germany, Nov. 13, 1851; came to America in 1871. With Great Western Gun Works, Smithfield St., Pittsburgh, Pa., then in Chicago. Established gun shop in New Castle in 1873; active until 1939.
ROLL, F. X. — Liberty, Mo., French gunsmith. Established early in frontier days about 1822. Made and repaired arms for about fifty years.
ROME REVOLVER & NOVELTY CO.— Nickel-plated revolvers.
ROOD, M. L.— Denver, Col., before and after 1860-81. Listed at 202 15th Street, 1873-81.
Rood, Morgan L.—Pioneer riflemaker of Marshall, Michigan, Active 1851 or before. Received a patent on revolver, November 22, 1853. Produced a number of over and under percussion rifles. Following the Civil War he migrated to the west and established at 202 15th Street, Denver, Colorado where he was active until 1875-
ROOP, J.— Bellefonte, Pa., about 1850-1860. Percussion rifles.
ROOP, John— Allentown, Pa., 1768-1775, before and after. Extensive maker of flintlock Kentucky rifles, Masonic emblem characteristic. Flintlock rifle dated 1768, silver Masonic emblem in cheekpiece. Another, silver inlaid, with emblem on patchbox.
Roop, John—Gunsmith of Allentown, Pa., 1775. Probably repairs only.
Root & Van Dervoort Engineering Co,—East Moline, 111. Produced 4-inch naval guns in 1918.
ROPER REPEATING RIFLE CO.— Amherst, Mass., about 1867-1876., makers of multi-shot repeating rifles and shotguns under the H. S. Roper patent of April 10, 1866, No. 53881. The corporation consisted of H. S. Roper of Roxbury, Mass., the inventor, Christopher M. Spencer of Spencer repeating arms fame, H. D. Fearing, Leonard M. Hills and his son Henry F. Hills and had been organized with capital stock of $100,000. From 1869 to 1876 the Roper arms were made for the com pany, renamed Roper Sporting Arms Co., of Hartford, Conn., by the Billings & Spencer Co. of Hartford.
ROPER SPORTING ARMS CO.— Hartford, Conn., 1869-1876. Suc cessors to Roper Repeating Rifle Co. of Amherst, Mass. Pro moters of combination revolving rifle-shotgun, using interchange able barrels, made for the Company by Billings & Spencer, Hart ford, Conn.
Roper, Sylvester H.; Roper Repeating Rifle Co.—Amherst, Mass. Established t866, capital $100,000, C. M. Spencer, agent. In 1868 Charles E. Billings became president and in 1869 removed to Hartford, Conn., to be reorganized as Billings & Spencer. The Roper Company produced Spencer-Roper repeating shotguns and Roper's repeating rifles. Roper (Sylvester H.) patented choke boring in 1866 and a magazine rifle on August 20, 1889, #409,429.
ROPP, Adam— Lancaster, Pa., 1857.
ROSS, A. C— Zanesville, Muskigum Co., Ohio, 1810-20. Rifle and pistol maker. Son of Elija Ross.
ROSS, Boone — Terre Haute, Ind. Heavy, percussion, match rifles.
Ross, DaviA—Cannon founder to the State of Virginia. 1776-86.
ROSS, Elija— Zanesville, Muskigum Co., Ohio., 1804-1864. Born in Brownsville, Penna., 1786. Fine gun and swordsmith.
ROTH, Charles— Wilkes Barre, Pa., about 1840.
Roth, Charles and E. F.—Wilkes-Barre, Pa., riflemakers. Charles was active about 1858-75, before and after. E. F. Roth was active 1870-75, before and after.
ROTH, Henry — Wilkes Barre, Pa. Percussion period.
ROTHROCK, Edward— Middle Creek, Snyder Co., Pa. Late per cussion period. Active until death Jan. 1, 1934.
ROUP— Mifflinburg, Pa. Kenucky rifles.
ROW, Nathaniel — Penna. Had served apprenticeship under John Armstrong. Handsome, relief carved rifle.
ROWE, A. H.— Hartford, Conn., 1864. Maker of a rifle under A. H. Rowe patent of April 5, 1864, No. 42,227. Proved to be an in fringement on R. S. Lawrence patent of Jan. 6, 1852, No. 8,637.
ROWE, E. P.— Unlocated. Kentucky rifles.
Rowe, Webster—Riflemaker of Skowhegan, Maine, 1859-68, before and after.
ROWELL, H. H.— Sonora, Calif., before and after 1876. Riflesmith and match shooter.
ROWELL, Harry— Columbus, Wis., 1870's. Inventor of a breech loading action somewhat of the Remington-Hepburn type. Few heavy barrel known of rather crude workmanship, probably specimen pieces to demonstrate the action.
ROYDEN, Jesse — Fentress Co., Term. Kentucky rifles.
Royet, Loui*—Came from France and established on the Wyomissing, Reading, Penna., in 1858. Produced a number of percussion and cartridge arms and active until 1889 or later.
ROYET, Louis — Reading, Pa., 1867 and later. Came from France in 1858. Percussion and breech-loading arms.
ROZZEL, Thomas — Granville Hollow, Washington Co., Pa. Percus sion period. Fancy, silver-mounted rifles.
RUDOLPH & CO.— Successors to H. E. Dimick, St. Louis, Mo., 1874.
RUDOLPH, A. E.— Canon City, Colo., 1870-80. Maker of muzzle loading and breech-loading rifles. Had worked in Confederate Armory during the Civil War. Came to Canon City in 1870.
Rudolph, A. E.—Gunmaker of Canon City, Colorado, 1875-80.
RUDOLPH, Victor— St. Joseph, Mo., 1867-79 and later. Associated with Rudolph & Co.
Rudolph, Victor; Rudolph & Co.—Rudolph was active at Saint Joseph, Mo., from 1867 until 1874 when Rudolph & Company became successors to H. E. Dimick & Co. of Saint Louis. Continued until 1879 or later. ^
RUDOLPH, W.— Jackson near Davis, San Francisco, Calif., 1859-60. At 216 Pacific, 1861-65.
RUDOLPH, W. S.— Canon City, Colo., 1875. Heavy, curly maple half stocked plains rifle with back action lock stamped with de fective die of G. Goulcher. Barrel stamped with name, location, date and "No. 7." Evidently related to A. E. Rudolph, Canon City, Colo., 1875-80.
RUETSCHNER, A.— Pueblo, Col., 1880.
RUFNER, Bennivel — Wyomissing Creek, Berks Co., Pa. Gun barrel grinder
Rugart, Peter—Lancaster County, Pa. He, and Christian Isch, on November 17th, 1775, “Agreed, beginning Monday, November 20, 1775, to make muskets and bayonets for this county^ at the Philadelphia prices: and that they will confine themselves to that work entirely from that time to the first day of March next and furnish as many as they can possibly complete.”
RUGGLES, A.—Stafford, Conn. Under-hammer percussion pistols.
RUGH, G. — Unlocated. Percussion rifle.
Rupertus Pat’d Pistol Mfg. Co.—Philadelphia, Pa. Produced Jacob Rupert ns’ patent pistols and revolvers. Active 1858-76, before and after. Made a 4-shot pepperbox like the Sharps and a double barrel pistol which turns to the left for loading. A movable firing pin regulates the discharge of either barrel.
RUPERTUS PAT'D PISTOL MFG. CO.— Philadelphia, Pa., 1860-88. Makers of single-shot percussion and cartridge pistols, 4-shot rim fire cartridge pistols, 8-shot. 22 cal. pepperboxes and of J. Rupertus revolvers and sporting rifles.
RUPP, Herman — Pennsylvania rifle maker, 1784.
Rupp, Herman—Maker of Kentucky rifle dated 1784. Location unknown.
RUPP, John— Pennsylvania, about 1740. Kentucky rifles.
RUPP, John— Ruppville, Pa., near Allentown, about 1780. Pistol maker.
RUPPERT, William— Lancaster, Pa., before and after 1776.
Ruppert, William—Gunsmith of Lancaster, Penna., about i776.
RUSH, John — Byberry Township, Pa., gunsmith, blacksmith and farmer, 1745, before and after? A John Rush had settled at Byberry (twelve miles up Delaware River from Philadelphia) in 1683. In the fourth generation of Rushes was Dr. Benjamin Rush, signer of Declaration of Independence.
Rush, William—Gunmaker in High Street Ward, Phila., Pa. Active 1769-71.
RUSILY, Jacob— Lancaster, Pa., Flintlock Kentucky rifles. Died 1822. Maker of a very handsome, carved and inlaid Kentucky rifle circa 1830, with "S. SPAGLER" lock.
RUSLIN, Jacob—Unlocated. Flintlock rifles. (Same as Rusily?)
Russell & Co., J.—Green River Works. Produced fine Bowie knives about 1855-60.
RUSSOM & CO. — Unlocated. Flintlock and percussion Kentucky rifles.
RUTH, John — Wyomissing Creek, Berks Co., Pa. Made finished rifle barrels.
RYAN, T. E. — Norwich, Conn. "Retriever" pocket revolvers.
Ryan, Thomas—Revolver manufacturer at Norwich, Conn., 1893.
RYAN, THOS J. PISTOL MFG. CO.— Franklin St., N. Y., 1874 and after. Maker of "Napoleon" revolvers.
RYNES, Michael — Pequa Creek, Lancaster Co., Pa. Revolutionary period.