| A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z |
(Or AS). Unidentified. Curly maple, half stocked plains rifle with engraved brass hardware and Jas. Golcher lock.
Marking on an early flintlock rifle of crude workmanship.
Unidentified. Kentucky rifle circa 1760.
A. C. S.
See Darling, B. & B. M.
Adam Daniels , Lancaster, Pa. Late flintlock and early percussion Kentucky rifles. Initials "A. D." marked on a brass and silver mounted, boy's percussion Kentucky rifle.
Unidentified. Over-under percussion rifle.
Unidentified. Heavy barrel, Kentucky type flintlock match rifle. (Same as A. F. above?)
Initials of Asabel Hubbard, U. S. Inspector of Contract Arms, 1818-1833. Inspected arms in plants of R. & J. D. Johnson, Simeon North, Nathan Starr, Asa Waters, Lemuel Pomeroy and Eli Whitney.
Unidentified. Barrel marking of a fill curly maple stock, percussion Kentucky rifle with British lock.
A. I. S.
See Darling, B. & B. M.
A. I. S.
See Darling. Two, four and six barrel pistols of Darling design are met with bearing the initials A. I. S.
A. J. M.
Marking on Civil War period U. S. Army signal pistol.
Unidentified. Early Pennsylvania rifle maker.
A. S. T. CO.
Unidentified "Hero" percussion pocket pistols.
A. T. W.
Unidentified. Bedford County, Pa., silver inlaid percussion Kentucky rifle.
Marking inside of lock of Model 1795 flintlock musket.
Initials of A. D. King, U. S. Inspector of Arms within years 1831-1850.
Unidentified marking of a curly maple, half-stock, octagon barrel, double set trigger percussion rifle numbered "No. 199."
Abbey & Co,, F. J,
43 South Clark St., Chicago, III. Frederick J. Abbey and James H. Foster. Active 18/ 1-75. Produced rifles, pistols and the Abbey & Foster breech-loading, top-fastening shotgun, patent of April 25, 1871, No. 114,081.
ABBEY, F. J. & Co.
43 S. Clark St., Chicago, 111. 1870-74. Makers of muzzle and breech-loading rifles and shotguns.
ABBEY, G. T.
Chicago, 111., 1858-1874. Maker of muzzle-loading, double barrel, percussion shotguns.
Abbey, George T.
Gunsmith of Chicago, 111., 1858-74. Secured patent on breech-loading shotgun, March 16, 1869, No. 87,814. Discontinued in 1874, the year of the Chicago Gun Trials in which he had entered a number of his arms.
50 Wayne St., Pittsburgh, Pa., 1850-60. Makers of an iron mounted, six-groove, gain twist, plains rifle marked "J. ABENDSHEN, PITTSBURGH, CAST STEEL."
Near Seneca, Oconer Co., S. C. Rifle maker.
ACCELERATING FIRE ARMS CO.
New York, N. Y., 1857.
Accelerating: Fire Arms Co.
New York City. A short-lived promotional set-up for the manufacture and sale of Azel Lyman's patent breech-loader, patent of February 3, 1857, No. 16,568.
ACCLES, George G.
Inventor of "Accles Feed" for Gatling Gun, Gatling Gun Co.
Sharon, O. Percussion rifles of premium quality, with elaborate sideplates of identical design. Did not mark his work.
ACOBY, P. J.
Probably a misreading for P. Jacoby, q. v.
Unidentified. Flintlock period.
ADAMS REVOLVING ARMS CO.
New York, N. Y. Percussion revolvers made for this firm in .31 pocket and .36 navy sizes by Mass. Arms Co.
Adams Revolving Arms Co.
New York City. A promotional set-up active during the Civil War for the sale of J. Adams (English) revolver. U. S. patents of May 3, 1853: June 3, 1856 and April 7, 1857. The arms were produced by the Massachusetts Arms Co., Chicopee Falls, Mass. Many Adams of British origin found their way into the South.
508 Commercial Street, San Francisco, Calif. Gunsmith. Listed in 1887.
Battle Creek, Mich. Percussion rifles.
Troy, N. Y. in 1840; Kentucky rifles.
Unlocated. Fine flintlock Kentucky rifle, Ketland lock, barrel round with flat rib.
Unidentified. Maker of a half stock, heavy barrelled, percussion slug gun.
ADDICKS, D. C
Rome, Ga.; percussion rifles, died 1941.
Adirondack Arms Co.
Plattsburg, N. Y. Short lived, purchased by Winchester Arms in 1874.
ADIRONDACK FIREARMS CO.
Plattsburg, N. Y. Early breech loading and repeating sporting arms, somewhat similar to the Winchester but on a different mechanical principle, based on Patent 125,988 issued to O. M. Robinson, April 23, 1872. Plant bought out by Winchester Repeating Arms Co. in 1875 and manufacture discontinued.
Connecticut gun-lock maker to Committee of Safety. Received payment for four locks June 26, 1777.
Noted gunsmith of Genoa, New" York and Babylon, Long Island. Active 1909 or before to date.
Adventure of Hibernia Furnace
Morris County, New York. Built in 1765 by Lord Stirling, Benjamin Cooper and Samuel Ford. Lord Stirling acquired sole ownership in 1771. Operated as a cannon and projectile foundry, 1776-82. (Pg. T51, “History of Iron in All Ages/ ’ Swank, Philadelphia.)
AETNA ARMS CO.
New York, N. Y. Brass frame, tip-up, .22 cal pocket revolvers.
Philadelphia, Pa. Percussion derringer; Aston lock.
Gun Stocker, Germantown Road below 4th, Phila., Pa., 1819.
New Rumley, Ohio, 1856-61.
Gunsmith of New Rumley, Harrison County, Ohio. Born in the vicinity in 1821. Established a gun shop in 1848 and produced a number of muzzle loading rifles of fine- workmanship. General George Custer, a native of Rumley. was a frequent visitor to the Ager shop before the Civil War. Ager was active until 1886 and died in 1898. (Pg. 743, “History of Carroll and Harrison Counties/ ' Eckley-Perry, Chicago, 1921. Pg. 146, Hawkes & Rcdficld’s Ohio Business Directory, 1854.)
Orange, N. J., 1872-75.
Listed in business directories as gunmaker of Orange, N. J., 1872-75. The writer has never encountered arms of his production nor found his name 011 a sales list.
Pennsylvania, about 1780. A 62-inch early Kentucky flint lock rifle, .45 calibre.
Unlocated. Marking on over-under, swivel-breech, flintlock rifle.
AICHELE, C. G.
Unlocated. Full stock, octagon barrel percussion rifle.
Gunsmith. Germantown Road above front and 167 N. Front, Phila., Pa., 1819.
ALABAMA ARMS MANUFACTURING CO.
Montgomery, Alabama. Also known as Gilmer Gun Factory. Rifle contractors to the Confederacy. Signed a contract with the State of Alabama on March 20, 1862, to establish an armory for making Enfield type percussion rifles at $35.00 each, and were advanced $250,000 in 8% State Bonds. The president of the firm was William B. Gilmer. The firm obtained the gun making machinery from Bujac & Bennett of New Orleans, whose machinery was shipped to Montgomery to escape capture and was offered to the Con federate States. The offer was declined by Col. James H. Burton, Ord. Dept. C.SA., superintendent of the Macon Armory, as not being up to desirable standard. (See Bujac & Bennett.) The machinery was then purchased by the firm on June 3, 1862, and they commenced operations in the Winter Iron Works but were burned out and went into a warehouse. The firm was suc ceeded by the Red-mountain Iron & Coal Company. Limited out put, if any. In March 1864 excuses, explanations and reasons were given why they had not made any arms. On March Col. Burton came the second time to inspect the machinery with view to purchase. He found "nothing doing of any consequence; machinery set in place but not at work, most of it never having been tested or finally adjusted. But few fixtures to the machines, and they not well devised or adopted to the intended purposes. Very few of the necessary small tools, gauges etc. have been made and none of them of good construction. Barrel welding rolls badly constructed, and not satisfactorily tested. Stocking machines cheaply devised and constructed, and not tested. Forges of brick and of very temporary construction. Buildings not built for the purpose, and consequently not well adopted to it. Forging shop a mere open shed, also mere sheds for rough turning stock machinery barrel rolls, furnaces for annealing etc. Very few attempts have been made in the forging of parts of arms. I saw few triggers, butt plate screws, hammers and lock swivels. The trip hammers for forging bayonets and ramrods are double and have never been tried.Decided not to purchase."
Pennsylvania, about 1800; possibly an abbreviation for Albright. Fine craftsman.
Unlocated. Marking on superposed, percussion Kentucky type rifle.
ALBERTSON, DOUGLAS & CO.
New London, Conn., about 1840-60.
Albertson, Douglas & Co.
Gunmakers of New London, Conn. Active about 1840-60.
Warwick Township, Lancaster Co., Pa., 1779-82.
Gunsmith of Warwick Township, Lancaster County, Penna., 1779-82.
Gunsmith, Gnadenhutten, Tuscarawas Co., Ohio, 1800. Made pistols.
Albright, Henry or Albrecht
Gunsmith of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Active during the second quarter of the eighteenth century. Produced fine early Kentucky rifles.
Near Wooster, Wayne Co. Ohio, 1840's. Half stock percussion rifle with ornate brass patchbox.
Heidelburg Township, Lancaster Co., Pa., 1771.
Heidelburg Township, Lancaster Co., Pa., 1771.
ALBRO, H. & Co.
Cincinnati, Ohio, 1847. Mahogany gunstocks.
ALDEN, E. B.
Claremont, N. H., 1863-68.
Alden, E. B.
Gunmaker of Claremont, New Hampshire, active 1863- 68 before and after.
Lancaster Co., Pa., 1815-1855. Flintlock Ken tucky rifle engraved "JOEL ALDENDERFER 1836."
Gunmaker of Lancaster, Penna., 1763-1817. (Metschl.)
Lancaster Co., 1763-1817.
ALEXANDER, C. W.
Inventor of a breech-loading rifle, Confederate Patent No. 163, April 18, 1863, a pattern of which has been made at the Confederate States Armory under supervision of Capt. Burton, (Richmond Dispatch Feb. 19, 1862). The arm was to have been manufactured by Thomas E. McNeill of Macon, Ga., who obtained a Confederate contract for 20,000 Alexander pattern carbines, to be made under Burton's supervision. The arm never materialized beyond the experimental stage.
Alger & Co.
Cyrus. See South Boston Iron Works.
(Also Albright and Albrecht) Lancaster Co., Pa., before and after 1744. Employed at Durham Iron Works, made rifles and some very fine pistols.
Pennsylvania; probably same as I. or J. Al bright of Manheim, Pa. Early flintlock Kentucky rifles; a brass mounted flintlock fowling piece half-stocked in curly maple, barrel marked "J. ALBRIGHT"; lock by W. Jacot.
Manheim, Pa., flintlock period.
ALLEGHANY GUN WORKS
Alleghany City, Pa., 1831-77 and later. Makers of flintlock Kentucky rifles and later of sporting and target rifles. See Fleeger, John, who operated the works.
ALLEN & FALLS
Springfield, Mass., 1837-40.
Allen & Falls (C. B. Allen)
Gunmakers of Springfield, Mass., 1837- 40.•
ALLEN & HILLE
Gunmakers, 79 Magazine, New Orleans, La., 1853.
Allen & Thurber
See Ethan Allen.
ALLEN & WHEELOCK
The firm was established by Ethan Allen. Massachusetts firearms maker born Sept. 2, 1806. Established himself in North Grafton about 1832, making Lambert cane guns and rifled target pistols. In 1838 commenced manufacture of arms under his own patents, and incorporated with his brothers-in-law, Charles T. Thurber and Thomas P. Wheelock under the name Allen, Thurber & Co. The firm was well known for its pepperbox revolvers, made mostly double-action with 5 and 6 barrels, though a few were made in a larger size with 3 or 4 barrels. Also made a double-barrel pistol. In 1842 the firm moved to Norwich, Conn., and again in 1847 to Worcester, Mass. In 1857 on Thurber's retirement from the firm, the name was changed to Allen & Wheelock. Mr. Wheelock died in 1863, and in 1865, Allen's two sons-in-law, S. Forehand and H. C. Wadsworth, were admitted to the firm, which in 1866 became known as Ethan Allen & Co. Mr. Allen died in January, 1871, and the firm continued manufacture of firearms, especially revolvers, under the name Forehand and Wadsworth. During the Civil War, Allen & Wheelock employed about 200 hands.
Allen & Wheelock
-Worcester, Mass., 1856-65.
Walpole, N. H. Musket maker 1799-1801. Associated with Samuel Grant and Joseph Bernard in a contract under Act of July 5, 1798, for 1,500 Charleville pattern, (Model 1795) muskets at $13.40 per stand. Of these 1,394 were recorded delivered by June 10, 1801.
ALLEN, BROWN & LUTHER
Frederick Allen, Andrew J. Brown and John Luther, makers of musket and rifle barrels in Worcester, Mass., 1852. Among their employees had been Horace Smith and Daniel B. Wesson. Alexander Stocking, maker of the Stocking single-action, pepperbox pistol, had also been an em ployee of the firm.
Allen, Brown & Luther (Ethan Allen)
Manufacturers of rifle barrels at Worcester, Mass., 1848-52, before and after. (Pg. 189, "Breech-loader in the Service,” Fuller.)
ALLEN, C. B.
Springfield, Mass., 1836-41. One of the manufac turers of the Elgin patent cutlass-pistol. Also made the Cochran "Monitor" 7-shot revolver.
Allen, C. B.
Gunsmith of Springfield, Mass., 1836-41, before and after. The Elgin '‘Cutlass Pistol, 1837” produced by this maker are very rare. Designed for use of the navy they were equipped with a heavy Bowie type blade.
ALLEN, E. & CO.
Worcester, Mass., 1856-65. See Allen & Wheelock.
Shrewsbury, Mass., musket maker. Born 1775, active until 1843.
Massachusetts Arms manufacturer, 1832-63. See Allen & Wheelock.
Allen, Ethan; Allen & Co.; Allen & Thurber; Allen and Wheelock
Ethan Allen was 'born in Bellington, Mass., 1810. In 1837 Pat" ented the Allen pepperbox and with his brother-in-law, Charles T. Thurber, began producing this arm at Grafton. Quit that city for Norwich, Conn., in 1842 and thence to Worcester, Mass., iti 1847. Thurber retired in 1855 and was succeeded by a second brother-in- law of Allens, Thomas P. Wheelock, the firm name being so changed. After operating from 1856 to 1865 it appears that some difficulty arose which resulted in the organization of the Ethan Allen & Company which, while ostensibly the property of Allen, was in fact the property of Messrs. S. Forehand and H. C. Wadsworth. In 1872 the firm name was changed to Forehand & Wadsworth and subsequently to Forehand Arms Company. Active until 1902.
ALLEN, G. F.
Utica, N. Y., 1852-55.
Allen, G. F.
Gunmaker of Utica, New York, 1852-55.
New York, N. Y., percussion period.
Gunmaker of New York City, 1860-62.
New York, N. Y., before and after 1878.
Gunsmith. New Orleans, La., 1861.
U. S. Inspector of Contract Arms, 1817. Inspected arms (sabers) in plant of Nathan Starr.
Norwich, Conn., circa 1840. Inventor of one of the first practical whaling-bomb-lances which he patented on Sep tember 19, 1846. Though it had some disadvantages it saw con siderable use among whalers and was widely distributed. The invention of the Brand whaling-bomb-lance in 1852 somewhat curtailed its manufacture.
Gunmaker of Norwich, Conn. Produced late percussion arms.
Norwich, Conn., circa 1840. Inventor of a whaling bomb-lance which he manufactured. Quite possibly related to Oliver Allen.
Shrewsbury, Mass. Rifle maker. Bern 1750. Lived and was active on a farm on Crescent Street. Had served as captain of militia. Made Kentucky and New England type rifles. Arms marked by stamping, "S. ALLEN." Died April 6, 1834.
Gunmaker of Shrewsbury, Mass. Born in 1775, active until 1843; died 1850.
ALLEN, Silas, Jr.
Son of Silas Allen. Lived and worked with his father at Shrewsbury, Mass. Born 1775. Flintlock and percussion rifles. Active until 1843. Died 1850.
New York, N. Y., 1768-75. Thomas Allen with John Woods, were the Colonial gunsmiths returned to England by Governor William Tryon in December, 1775, with the induce ment of prepaid passage, 20 guineas in cash and employment at a government armory.
Gunmaker of New York City, 1768-1775. The following interesting letter is taken from the State Papers of New York. Governor Tryon to Earl of Dartmouth, On Board the Ship ‘‘Duchess of Gordon/ ' New York Harbour, 8th Deer., 1775. My Lord: I have engaged John Woods, Thomas Allen and William Tunx, three skillful gunsmiths to quit working at their trade in forwarding the execution of purposes contrary to the feelings of their natures as Englishmen, in the present unnatural Rebellion. There is only one Workman now remaining in America who is capable of the business of Gun welting, as I am informed. * * * 1 have therefore paid thirty guineas for their passage to England in the packet, and advanced them twenty guineas more to support them to London. I have made it the express condition of their leaving America that they shall be employed in the Tower, or other the King's Armory. Wm. Tryon.
ALLEN, THURBER & CO.
Grafton, Mass., 1838-42. Norwich, Conn., 1842-47. See Allen & Wheelock.
Allen, Thurber & Co.
'Worcester, Mass., 1855-56.
108 Maiden Lane, New York, N. Y., 1801. Flintlock rifles and double-barrel shotguns. Made arms into percussion period.
Location unknown; flintlock Kentucky rifles.
Near Berlin, Penna.
Allin, E. S.
Mastcr-Armourcr of Springfield Armory, 1864-66. Patented a breech-loading arm, Sept. 19, 1865, a number of Spring- field muskets being converted to his system.
ALLIN, Erskine S.
Born at Enfield, Conn., Feb. 3, 1809. Appren ticed at the Water Shop of the Springfield Armory in 1829. Master armorer at the arsenal from 1847-78. Perfected a system of conversion of muzzle-loading muskets known as the Model 1865 alteration. Died, Sept. 11, 1879.
Arms stocker, Springfield Armory, 1818.
ALLISON, J. H.
Unlocated. Percussion Kentucky rifle.
ALLISON, PETER & CO.
Main Street, Buffalo, N. Y., 1825.
Pennsylvania, flintlock period.
Philadelphia, Pa. Listed as gunsmith at 23 Green, in 1829.
ALSOP, C. R.
Revolver manufacturer of Middletown, Conn., 1859 66. Made arms under Charles Alsop patents Nos. 29,213, 29,538 and 32,333.
Alsop, C. R.
Gunsmith of Middletown. Conn., 1859-66. Patented breech-loader, July 17, i860; percussion revolver, August 7, i860, and breech-loader, May 14, 1861. (Pg. 9, A. F. and R. P. O., 1860-61.).
York Co., Pa., about 1810. Rifle maker.
Lewistown, Mifflin Co., Pa. A swivel-breech double percussion rifle with script marking "F. Altmier" on one barrel, "Lewistown" on the other; barrelmaker's stamp "Heberlig, Reading Pa." on breeches; Henry Parker lock.
Unlocated. Full stock, percussion Kentucky rifle.
American & British Mfg. Co.
Bridgeport, Conn. Produced t-pounder sub-caliber tubes, fuses, shells, guns, 1-pounder to 15-pounder rapid fire; 3-inch field guns and caissons; 4.7-inch field guns, etc. At Bridgeport, 1903-08, thence to 44 Crosse St., Providence, R. I., 1909. (See Reports of the Chief of Ordnance, 1903, 1904.)
American Armament Corporation
Developed 37 mm. guns for mounting on heavy bombing planes, 1936.
AMERICAN ARMS CO.
Chicopee Falls, Mass. Made Smith carbines during the Civil War.
AMERICAN ARMS CO.
Boston, Mass., about 1870-93; Milwaukee, Wis., 1893-1904.
American Arms Co.
Chicopee Falls, Mass. Produced Smith carbines during the Civil War.
American Arms Co.
Boston, Mass. Established in the early 70’s. Exhibited double-barrel breech-loading shotguns at Philadelphia in t876. Located at 103 Milk Street in 1890, as makers of pistols and shotguns including Wheeler’s patent October 31, 1865, June 19, 1866, derringers. Moved to Milwaukee, Wise., in 1893, and continued the manufacture of shotguns in 10, 12 and 16 gauge; double-action hammerless revolvers in .32 and .38 caliber until 1904 or later. (Farrow. U. S. B. D., 1891.)
American Brake Shoe & Foundry Co.
Erie, Penn. Established in 1902. During the World War produced from ten to fifteen 155-111111 Schneider howitzer forgings per day, 1918.
American Bridge Co.
Gary, Ind. During the World War produced two sets, 155-nun G. P. F. forgings and one and one-half 240-mm howitzer forgings per day, 1918.
American Cartridge Company
Cartridge manufacturers at Kansas City, Mo., 1923-24.
American Cutlery Co.
732-764 Mather St., Chicago, 111.; 24 West 23rd St., New York City. Produced trench knives during the World War, 1916-18.
American Flask & Cap Co.
Watertown, Conn. Established 1857, capital $125,000. Produced powder flasks, percussion caps and cartridges. Continued until 1891 or later. (N. E. B. D., 1868: U. S. B. D., 1890.)
AMERICAN MACHINE WORKS
Established by Philos B. Tyler in 1843 at Springfield, Mass. Manufactured Smith carbines on Civil War contract, in 1864.
American Machine Works
Springfield, Mass. Produced Smith’s carbines during the Civil War.
AMERICAN NUT & ARMS CO.
47 Kingston St., Boston, Mass., 1868 70. Made Wheeler's patent, hand arms.
American Nut & Arms Co.
47 Kingston Street, Boston. Established 1867, capital $65,000. Produced Wheeler’s patent breech-loading pistols.
American Ordnance Co.
Produced artillery at Bridgeport, Conn., projectiles at Lynn, Mass., and torpedoes at Tiverton, R. I. Probably taken over by American & British Mfg. Co. Produced artillery in the following sizes: 1, 3, 6, 9, 12, and 14-pounder; 3.2, 4, 5, 6-inch, Aceles machine guns ; Lyle gnus and projectiles, etc. Active 1896-1909. (Journal of the U. S. Artillery, Jan.-Feb.. 1901 ; Annual Reports of the Chief of Ordnance, 1896 to 1909.)
American Projectile Company
Boston, Mass. Produced ammunition for light artillery, naval and machine guns. Active, 1892-94.
AMERICAN REPEATING RIFLE CO.
Boston, Mass. Formerly Fogerty Rifle Co., of Boston. Sold out to Winchester in 1869.
American Repeating Rifle Co.
Boston, Mass. Short lived. Established 1869 and purchased the same year by Winchester. (Winchester .Cat. No. 78, 1913.)
AMERICAN STANDARD TOOL CO.
Newark, N. J., 1870-72. Be lieved to be successor to Manhattan Fire Arms Co.
American Standard Tool Co.
Newark, N. J. Pistol manufacturers prior to 1865. Produced ‘'Hero” pill-lock revolvers.
AMERICAN STEAM WORKS
180-182 Center St., New York, N. Y. Manufacturers of Pecare & Smith percussion pepperboxes.
American-LaFrance & Foamite Corp.-
903 Erie Street, Elmira, N. Y. Produce livesaving (line carrying) guns. 1933 or before to date.
Situated half a mile above Falls Village Station, Plousa- tonic Railroad, west side of Housatonic River and owned by Ames' Iron Co. (Horatio Ames), P. O. Salisbury, Litchfield County, Conn. Known also as Salisbury Furnace. Active 1832 and until after the Civil War. Cannon Foundry. See Horatio Ames. (Pg. 150, Iron Manufactures Guide, J. P. Lesley, New York, 1859.)/
AMES MANUFACTURING COMPANY
Cutlers, sword and arms manufacturers of Cabotsville and Chicopee, Mass. Established originally by N. P. Ames, Sr., at Chelmsford (now Lowell), Mass., and moved to Chicopee, Mass. in 1829. In 1831 the busi ness was incorporated under the name of Ames Manufacturing Company with initial capital of $30,000. In the same year, 1831, the company undertook its first of sword contracts for the Gov ernment, which were continued for thirty odd years, until the Ordnance Department began making its own swords. About 1834 the company moved to Cabotsville, Mass., where a sword manufacturing plant had been erected. In 1841 the Ames Mfg. Co., purchased the works of Chicopee Falls Company and in 1842 moved back to Chicopee. Specimen arms of the company are marked as follows: Foot Artillery (Roman type) sword dated 1833, "SPRINGFIELD"; Navy scale-hilt cutlass dated 1842, "CABOTSVILLE"; Dahlgren bowie-knife Navy bayonet for Whitney Navy rifle M.1861, (Ply mouth), dated 1864, "CHICOPEE"; Navy brass half -basket cutlass dated 1864, "CHICOPEE" and Civil War officers' swords "CHICOPEE." It is possible that the Navy carbines and pistols marked "N.P.AMES" "SPRINGFIELD" were aso made at the Chicopee plant, a short distance from Chicopee Falls and a few miles north of Springfield. In addition to government swords the company made machinery, gun-stocking machines, bronze cannon, bronze statuary and swords for military associations and for societies and lodges. During the Franco-Prussian War the company received a con tract from the French Government for about 100,000 sabers and from the Turkish Government an order for 236,000 sabres during the Russo-Turkish War. The company also manufactured the Lowell machine gun for the Lowell Machine Gun Company. See AMES N. P. and AMES Sword Co.
See N. P. Ames.
AMES SWORD COMPANY
Established in 1881, at Chicopee, Mass., as a division of the Ames Manufacturing Company, a separate corporation, but with both plants under the same management. The sword making machinery was set up in the purchased plant of the Gay lord Mfg. Co., adjoining the Ames Manufacturing Co. In addition to swords the company made the Protector, a seven shot revolver and Protector Palm Pistols for the Chicago Arms Company. At end of "sword era" Ames Company was merged into Lilley Ames Corporation of Columbus, Ohio. See Ames Manufacturing Co., and Ames, N. P.
First superintendent of the Springfield Armory. Ap pointed by Washington, 1794. Served until 1802 when he became a paper manufacturer. Born at Bridgewater, Mass., Feb. 2, 1760. Manufacturer of shovels and guns. Died in Springfield, Mass., in August 1847. Ames had seen active service during the Revolu tionary War as a member of Capt. Reuben Dow's Company of Minute Men.
Son of John, elder brother of Oliver. Born 1761, Worked as a gunsmith in his father's shop and commissioned superintendent of Springfield Armory by General Washington in 1795. Succeeded by Joseph Morgan in 1802 and returned to the Ames interests. Died in August of 1847.
Of Salisbury and Falls Village, Conn. Invented wrought iron cannon in 1854, which were formed by a series of wrought iron disks to form the solid portion of the breech and rings to form that portion containing the bore. The trunnions were screwed* in for a depth of three inches. In 1863 the Navy tested a 30-pounder, 50-pounder and 8o-pounder. After severe tests the engineers reported simply, “none have yet bursted.” These cannon were produced by the Ames Forge, Falls Village, Conn. (Pgs. 94-95, “Engineer and Artillery Operations against the Defences of Charleston Harbor/ ' Gillmore, 1863; pg. 605, “Great Industries of the United States,” Burr & Hyde, 1876; pg. 150, “Iron Manufacturers Guide,” J. P. Lesley, 1859.)
Ames, James Tyler
Younger brother and successor to Nathan P. Ames. Born May 13, 1810, died February 16, 1883. Associated with N. P. Ames Mfg. Co. (or Sword Co.), from its establishment in 1828, he became the head of the firm upon his brother's death in 1847. In 1854 secured large contract from British government for gun making equipment. During the Civil War this was one of the largest munition factories in the North. Produced sabres, Springfield muskets and more than one thousand cannon. Also executed large sabre contracts for Turkey, during the Busso- Turkish War and for France during the Franco-Prussian War.
Bridgewater, Mass., 1798. Advertised in the Columbian "Sentinel," Boston, June 2, 1798, offering 1,000 gun-locks for sale and offering to buy 500 or 600 gun-barrels.
Bridgewater.” Ad in Columbian Centinel, Boston, June 2, 1798. Revolutionary captain and major. He established a manufactory of shovels and muskets at West Bridgewater in 1776. Married Susanna Howard and became the father of David and Oliver, the latter succeeding him upon his death in 1803. One thousand gun-locks, cheap for cash or approved credit, for sale. Also Wanted 5 to 600 Gun-Barrels. By John Ames,
AMES, N. P.
Operator of Ames Manufacturing Company, cutlers and sword manufacturers of Cabotsville and Chicopee, Mass., and N. P. AMES, makers of Jenks patent, mule-ear, side-hammer Navy percussion carbines of 1843-47, and of Navy percussion, single shot, box-lock pistols Model 1843, 1843-46, at Springfield, Mass. N. P. Ames (Jr.) was born near Lowell, Mass., in 1803, son of N. P. Ames (Sr.), a manufacturer of edged tools of Chelmsford (now Lowell) Mass. His practical experience gained in his father's shops was later supplemented by study of mechanical arts in Europe in 1840. Died in Spring of 1847. Nathan Peabody Ames was described as a "dignified, affable and generous man." See Ames Manufacturing Company.
Ames, Nathan Peabody
Born at Chelmsford, Massachusetts, September 1, 1803, son of N. P. Ames, senior, and his wife, Phoebe Tyler Ames. Nathan succeeded his father upon his retirement in 1829 because of ill health. The same year the business was moved to Chicopee Falls near Springfield, Mass. Here Ames, with his younger brother James Tyler Ames, occupied a portion of the mill of Edmund Dwight.The Ames Mfg. Co. was organized in 1834, with a capital of $30,000. In 1836 an additional factory for cannon making was constructed a mile below on the Chicopee River at the lower “privilege.” The new community which .sprung up at this place became Cabotsville. In 1840 the government commissioned Ames to tour the leading Europeon Arsenals and to report upon their methods and products. Ames returned the following year and fell ill, a condition from which he never completely recovered. He died on April 23rd, 1847, and was succeeded by James Tyler Ames. During the period 1829-65 the Ames interests were known as the Ames Mfg. Co., Ames Arms Co., N. P. Ames Co., and the Ames Sword Co. Contracted with the government, June 6, 1836, for 2,500 dragoon sabers at $8.00 each, deliveries by December 31st of the same year. Produced Model 1843 Navy pistols, .54 caliber, the first percussion arms issued as they came out before Model 1842. Made also Navy pistols. Model 1844, .54 caliber; swivel ramrod; box-lock percussion. Pistols by Ames are met with dated from 1843 to 1846 inclusive. Produced William Jenk’s patent of May 25, 1838 carbines and rifles, Mexican and Civil War. One such carbine has come to the attention of the writer which bears the legend “N. P. Ames, American Arms Co., Springfield, Mass.” Produced also Dahlgren bayonets for use with .the Plymouth Navy rifle and the so-called “Roman Swords” for issue to the artillery. The Ames Sword Company remained in continuous operation until about 1930 when a merger was effected with the M. C. Lilley Company of Columbus, Ohio. Considerable of the Ames equipment has been moved to the latter city where actual sword production continues to date. The present style of the firm name is the Lilley-Ames Company. Cannon production, which began in 1836, continued through the Civil War, the company supplying hundreds of brass and bronze pieces. During the World War the company manufac- turned “Protector” revolvers and continued their production until 1924 or later.
Boston, Mass., 1800.
Chicopee, Mass. Born Jan. 10, 1804; died May 8, 1873.
Born January 10, 1804, died at North Easton, Mass., May 8, 1873, succeeded by his sons Oliver and Oakes Angier Ames. Produced Dahlgren bayonets for the Plymouth rifle and the so- called “Roman Swords.”
Born in West Bridgewater, son of John and younger brother to David. Succeeded his father upon the elder’s death in 1803. He had worked for a time as a gunsmith under David at Springfield Armory. In 1806 the plant was moved to North Easton, Mass.
Riflemaker of Canton, 111., about 1850.
AMIDON, L. M.
Bellows Falls, Vt. Made telescopes for match rifles (e.g., those of Norman Brockway), also gain twist rifles.
Fond-du-Lac, Wis. Walnut half-stock, brass mounted, octagon barrel percussion plain rifle.
Bedford Borough, Bedford Co., Pa., 1840's (on 1843 tax list). Brother-in-law of W. Border. A long, slim, early percussion Kentucky rifle with applewood stock and hand-forged bar lock, marked "J. A."
AMOSKEAG MFG. CO.
Manchester, N. H. Made 27,001 Springfield Model 1861 rifle muskets on government contracts during the Civil War.
Amsby & Harrington
Worcester, Mass. Made Cyrus B. Holden’s patent rifles, circa, 1864.
AMSDEN, B. W.
Lake Ave. & Hodgman Sts., Saratoga Springs, N. Y., about 1860-1880. Percussion target rifles, double rifles, and rifle-shotgun combinations; shaded front sight of pig bristle; silver eagle cheek-rest inlays.
Amsden, B. W.
Riflemaker of Saratoga Springs, N. Y., 1850.
Saratoga Springs, N. Y., 1870-73. Maker of a double, side-by-side, combination percussion rifle-shotgun. Engraved locks and dolphin type hammers. Ornate patch box. Iron furniture. (Related to Amsden, B. W.?)
Riflemaker of Saratoga Springs, N. Y. 1870-73.
Marking "JOS*AN" on barrel of Kentucky rifle. Probably abbreviation for one of the Pennsylvania Angstadt family.
Gunsmith to Committee of Safety, Virginia, 1775-77.
Gunsmith to the committee of safety of Virginia. Active 1775-77. Extremely doubtful as to complete arms.
ANDREWS, Edward W.
19 Ontario St., Cleveland, Ohio, 1825-55, then Oberlin to 1859.
Andrews, Edward W.
Born in Whitestown, N. Y., in 1809. Joined his elder brother Phillip in Cleveland in 1825, and continued the business of gun-making after Phillip departed for Detroit. Operated at 26 Bank St. until 1855 and thence to Obcrlin, Ohio, until i860. A fine workman, specialty rifles. (Pg. 251, “The Pioneer Families of Cleveland, ” Van Rensselaer, Cleveland, 1914. O. B. D. 1853-54-55-)
ANDREWS, Philip B.
Cleveland, Ohio, 1820-30. Brother of E. W. Andrews. Born at Whitestown, N. Y., 1796.
Andrews, Phillip B.
Born Whitestown, N. Y., in 1796. Established a gun manufactory in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1820. Departed the vicinity for Detroit in the early 30*3, the business being continued by his younger brother Edward at 28 Bank St. Phillip died in Three Oaks, Michigan, the date of his death being unknown. (Pg. 251, “The Pioneer Families of Cleveland,” Van Rensselaer, Cleveland, 19T4.)
ANDRUS & OSBORN
Canton, Conn. Under-hammer percussion pistols and Civil War arms.
On barrel of very early flintlock Kentucky rifle with incised Roman nose stock.
Philadelphia, Pa. Listed as gunsmith at 97 Dillwyn, in 1829.
(Same as Angle, N.) Erieville, N. Y.; percussion match rifles.
42 Genesee St., Buffalo, N. Y., 1858-59.
Near Virgil, N. Y.
"Old Uncle Phil," Robertson County, Tenn., maker of flintlock and later percussion Kentucky rifles marked "P. A." Maker of a flintlock rifle with lock by John Kirkman, Ashville, Pa. Also made a tiger maple, full stock, .38 caliber, percussion rifle with set triggers and lock apparently of own manufacture.
Pennsylvania rifle maker. Contractor for "rifle guns" in 1792.
Unidentified. Inlaid and engraved flintlock Kentucky rifle of fine workmanship.
Pennsylvania, flintlock period.
Penna. rifle maker probably related to the Angstadts and Ansteds. Used abbreviation "JOS*AN" as per marking on very early flintlock Kentucky rifle.
ANGSTEAD, Peter (or Angstadt)
Pennsylvania. Fine flintlock Ken tucky rifles.
Earl Township, Lancaster Co., Pa., 1771 and before.
Gunsmith of Earl Township. Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, 1771, and before.
New Jersey, 1771, and before.
Armourer to the. New Jersey Colony. Active 1770-77, perhaps before and after.
New York, N. Y., percussion period.
Gunsmith of New York City. Produced half-stock, percussion, sporting rifles.
U. S. Inspector of Arms in Maryland, 1799-1801. Received payment for expenses incurred in connection with proving muskets.
New Jersey, 1776, before and after. (Same as above?)
Armourer to the New Jersey Colony. Active 1776-77, before and after.
Philadelphia, Pa., 1860.
Gunsmith of Philadelphia, t86o.
Gunmaker of Danbury, Connecticut, 1869-75.
Berks County, Pa., 1815-17.
Gunmaker of Kutztown, Berks County, Penn., *815-17.
Believed to be Peter Angstadt above.
Marking on barrels of superposed, swivel-breech flintlock Penna. rifle, circa 1820. (Same as Adam Angstadt?)
ANSTED, A. & J.
Contractors on April 22, 1808, with Tench Coxe, Purveyor of Public Supplies, for 50 pairs of pistols at $10.00 each. Probably are Adam Angstadt and Jacob Anstadt, Penn sylvania arms makers, whose names were spelled with a number of variations.
Mahoning Township, Northumberland Co., Pa., 1781-82.
Gunmaker of Mahoning Township, Northumberland County, Pennsylvania, 1781-82.
Canandaigua, N. Y., percussion period.
Frederick Township, Pennsylvania, Revolutionary War. (Same as Antes?)
Born March 4, 1832; died March 4, 1906. Worked at Wellsburg, W. Va., and Steubenville and later Lowell, Ohio.
Gunmaker. Born March 4, 1832, died March 4, 1906. Worked at Wellsburg, West Virginia, Steubenville and later at Lowell, Washington County, Ohio. A fine craftsman.
APPLEBAY, H. D. & W. R.
Wellsburg, W. Va., and later Lowell, Ohio.
Applebay, Harden D.
Gunmaker. Son of Alexander, born April 6, 1865. With his brother Wiley he operated at Sistersville, West Virginia, Lakulpa, 111., and Lowell, Ohio. He still occupies the shop of his father at Lowell, acting as a repairman (1932).
Applebay, Wiley R.
Gunmaker, son of Alexander and brother and associate of Harden. Operated at Sistersville, West Virginia; Lakulpa, Illinois, and Lowell, Ohio. Born March 13, 1863; died August 8, 1927.
Unidentified. Lock marking on a percussion Ken tucky rifle.
Philadelphia, Pa., maker of Kentucky rifles dating to about 1800. Possibly same as John Armstrong.
ARMSTRONG & TAYLOR
Augusta, Ky., 1864. Rifle makers.
ARMSTRONG, A. H.
Unlocated. Maker of a half stock, percussion rifle.
Philadelphia, Pa., about 1800. Kentucky flint lock rifles; rifled flintlock Kentucky target pistol, lock marked "A. ARMSTRONG WARRANTED."
Emmetsburg, Md., later Pennsylvania, from about 1790; died 1827. Fine flintlock Kentucky rifle; raised carv ing, silver inlays, lock handmade.
Gunmaker of Gettysburg, Penn. Died 1827.
Armstrong, John Jr.
Gunmaker of Gettysburg, Penn. Son of the above. Active 1855 or later.
ARMSTRONG, John, Jr.
Son of John Armstrong. Active at Gettys burg, Pa., 1855, before and after.
ARMSTRONG, R. H.
Hudson, Mich. Maker of plain percussion match rifles.
ARMSTRONG, S. F.
Armstrong, S. F.
Gunmaker of Adamsville, Michigan.
Arrowsmith Mfg. Co.
Niagara Falls, N, Y. Manufacturers of ammunition, 1920-21.
(Or AJ). Unidentified. Curly maple half stocked plains rifle with engraved brass hardware and Jas. Golcher lock.
Asheville, N. C. Established in 1861 by Col. R. W. Pulliam, Ephraim Clayton and G. W. Whitson, at the corner of Valley and Eagle Streets, with one Riley, an English man, as chief machinist. The plant was turned over to the Con federate Government in 1863, and arms are believed to have been marked "Asheville Armory." The machinery and equipment were moved to Columbia, S. C, prior to April, 1864, and the plant re established as the Columbia Armory in charge of Capt. C. C. McPhail, C. S. Ord. Dept. See Columbia Armory. A year later, in the latter part of April, 1865, the old armory buildings at Asheville were burned by Federal troops.
Buffalo, N. Y., percussion period. (Identical with J. Ashfield of Toronto, Canada, maker of a rifle with Goulcher lock?)
Unidentified. Maker of Kentucky rifles about 1800-08.
Lockmaker, flint and percussion arms. Percussion shotgun locks marked "N. ASHMORE."
Lockmaker, flint and percussion arms. Maker of a Kentucky rifle flint lock marked "R. ASHMORE WARRANTED" and of an original Kentucky rifle percussion lock marked "R.", and "ASHMORE" in two lines.
ASHTON, P. H.
Unlocated. Percussion underhammer pistol.
Assonet Gun Factory
Assonct, Mass. Shotgun manufacturers, 1893.
ASTOL, J. & W.
New Orleans, La., 1805-12.
Astol, J. & W.
Gunmakers of New Orleans, La. 1805-12.
The firm of H. Aston was organized at Middletown, Conn., about 1843, by Henry Aston, who arrived in the United States from England in 1819, and as a skilled pistol maker readily found employment with Simeon North, pistol manufacturer, at Middletown, Conn. Subsequent to 1850 the firm was reorganized and from 1851 the famed Model 1842 Army pistols made by the Aston Company were marked "H. Aston & Co." The contract for 30,000 pistols at $6.50 each was awarded Feb. 25, 1845.
ASTON, H. & CO.
See H. Aston above. Henry Aston's partners were: Nelson Ashton, Peter Aston, John North, Sylvester C. Bailey and Ira N. Johnson.
ASTON, H. & W.
Converted flint lock on halfstock plains rifle by R. Denslans.
Middletown, Conn. Born in London, England, in 1803. Arrived in the United States with his father on July 14, 1819, and soon thereafter found employment with Simeon North. On Feb. 25th, 1845, received a government contract for model 1842 pistols at $6.50. Active until 1852 or later.
ASTON, J. & J.
Unlocated. Marking on the lock of a percussion over-under rifle.
ASTON, J. & W
Converted flint lock with tumbler detent, late period, on a Kentucky rifle. Marked "J. & W. ASTON WAR RANTED."
William Aston, Middletown, Conn., maker of under hammer, percussion saw-handle pistols about 1854, in the old S. North pistol and musket manufacturing shops.
Stamping on an old, flintlock, Kentucky rifle barrel.
Unidentified. Percussion rifle.
Maker of a full maple stock, flintlock Kentucky rifle, with ornate patch box and with barrel octagonal at the breech.
Parkesburg, Ky., percussion Kentucky rifles.
Hidalgo, Ky. Born 1880 at Parkesburg, Ky., son of Joel Atkinson with whom he learned the trade.
Confederate Arsenal at northwest corner of Walton and Peachtree Streets. Acquired by Trenholm, Frazer & Co., government fiscal agents Aug. 6, 1863. In an ad in "Southern Confederacy" for Dec. 6, 1862, Major M. H. Wright, C. S. A., Commanding Arsenal, offers to exchange powder for lead at the Military Store House, corner Peachtree and Walton.
ATLAS GUN CO.
Ilion, N. Y., 1893. Small caliber rifles.
Atlas Gun Co.
Ilion, N. Y. Manufacturers of 22 rifles, 1893.
Bedford Township, Bedford Co., Pa., 1800.
ATWATER, J. B.
Ripon, Wis. Probably during 1850's.
AUER, B. I.
Louisville, Ky. Reported maker of a heavy, 19 lb. walnut half stock, schuetzen rifle.
Gunsmith, New Orleans, La., 1861.
Augusta, Ga. Manufactured equipment, field artillery, powder and repaired arms for the Confederacy.
Unlocated. Flintlock Kentucky rifle. .
Athens County, Ohio, 1853-54.
Athens County, Ohio. Gunmakcr 1853-54.
AULTLAND, H. G.
Penna. rifle maker.
New Jersey, 1776-78. Armorer to New Jersey.
Captain of Arms and Armourer to New Jersey, active 1776-78.
Charlestown, Mass. Gunsmith to Committee of Safety. Armorer to Massachusetts, 1775.
Charlestown, Mass. Gunmaker to the Committee of Safety. Appointed armourer to the colony by Act of May 15, 1775. Doubtful as to complete arms.
56 Pine St., New York City. Distributors of Thompson Sub-Machine Guns, which are produced by Colt. The “Tommy” gun is the invention of Col. John T. Thompson, Assistant # Chief of Ordnance during the World War and who was born at Newport, Ky., December 30, 1860.
Salisbury, N. Y., percussion period.
Gunsmith, St. Laude, between St. Phillip and Ursulines, New Orleans, La., 1853.
AYRES, R. A.
Alexandria, Va., (?). Percussion Kentucky rifle with Remington barrel.
|email - Edoardo Mori|
|Sitemap: in Italiano | auf Deutsch | in English ||
|http://www.earmi.it - Enciclopedia delle armi © 1997 - 2003|