| A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z |
H pierced by arrow
lockplate marking on locks marked "J. C. M. DAYTON;" also locks on two rifles by J. B. Hixson. May be Hixson's mark.
H V D
Unidentified. Stamping inside lock of early flintlock Ken tucky rifle.
T wo Barrel Darling pistols are met with marked with “H”. See Darling.
See Darling, B. & B. M.
Unidentified. Marking on the barrel of a Kentucky type, flint lock pistol with lock marked "C. E. Hardy & Co."
Unidentified. Percussion Kentucky rifle. HEAL, John See Heal Rifle Co.
Unidentified. Marking on a flintlock Kentucky rifle.
H. H. P.
Initials of Henry H. Perkin, U.S. Inspector of Contract Arms, 1813-17. Inspected arms (sabers and N.C.O. swords) at the plant of Nathan Starr.
Marking inside Springfield musket lock of musket dated 1799.
Initials of H. Tracy, U. S. Inspector of Arms within years 1831-1850.
H. V. F.
Unidentified. Marking inside the lock-plate of a Kentucky type flintlock pistol.
Riflemaker of Pomeroy, Meigs County, Ohio. Active 1849-67, before and after.
147 Main St., Buffalo, N. Y., 1832-44. Rifle maker, flintlock and percussion.
Hackney, William W.
Gunsmith and worker in precious metals. Active 1859 to 1880 as gunsmith. Make rifles, shotguns and pistols. Pie was twice associated with M. Schneider as Hackney and Schneider this partnership being in effect 1858-60 and again in 1870-80. Dayton, C)hio.
HACKNEY, William W.
Dayton, Ohio, 1859-69. HADEN, James - Philadelphia, Pa., 1769.
Riflemaker of Philadelphia, 1769.
Flintlock Kentucky rifle; lock by Brong. Probably by John or Jacob Haeffer.
Lancaster, Pa., musket maker. Contractor to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on April 17, 1801, for 500 Charle ville pattern, (Model 1795), muskets.
Lancaster, Pa. John and Jacob (see above) Haeffer were among the petitioners to the 7th Congress on Jan. 28, 1803, for non-removal of import duties on arms.
HAEFFER, P. B.
(Haefner?), Flintlock Kentucky rifle, lock hand made; raised carving and 16 silver inlays.
Riflemaker of Clinton County, Ohio, 1848-54, before and after. (Pg. 148, “History of Clinton County, Ohio”, Hunter, Chicago, 1871.)
Gunmaker of Reading, Berks County, Pa. Active 1767-90, before and after.
Reading Town, Berks Co., Pa., 1767-84.
HAGEDORN, A. M.
Founder of Hagerstown, Washington Co., Md. Listed as gunsmith in Hager land-patent dated August 10, 1753.
Early Pennsylvania gunsmith.
Riflemaker of Bay City, Midi., 1859-67.
New York, N. Y., 1870.
Zanesville, Ohio, 1804.
Riflemaker of New York City, 1858.
New York, N. Y., 1858.
Born Colmar, Prussia about 1830. His family migrated to America and settled in Columbus, Georgia while Louis was still a youngster. “In 1861 he opened a sword factory to supply the Confederacy, a weapon that the South at the time, had poor facilities for making. Such was Haiman’s success that in a year's time his factory covered a block. The first sword made was presented to Col. Peyton H. Colquitt. Inlaid with gold it was one of the handsomest in all the Southern Army.” “Haiman’s first order was secured from Captain Wagner, in charge of the arsenal at Montgomery. Later on, to supply the needs of the* troops in southern Georgia and Alabama he added a manufacture of firearms and accoutrements.” Remained in operation until the factory was razed by the Federal force of occupation. After-the war Hairnan established a plow factor}'.
HAIMAN, Louis and Elias
See Columbus Fire Arms Mfg. Co.
Harvey Towne, Md., 1688. It was ordered that all public arms at Mettapany be taken to "William Haimes, Gun Maker at Harvey Towne" to be fixed and made fit for service.
HAIN, P. L.
Pennsylvania; Kentucky rifles.
Pennsylvania; late Kentucky rifles.
Pennsylvania, about 1730. Kentucky rifles.
HALBACH & SONS
Listed in Baltimore and Washington directories as maker of firearms and cutlery. Produced characteristic Ameri can pistols with U.S. eagle and shield and stars on butt cap. 1785 and later.
A Committee of Safety gunsmith of Lancaster, Penna. Active 1775-76, doubtful as to production.
Lancaster, Pa., 1775. Musket maker to Commit tee of Safety. Ex-employee of William Henry I.
Fayette Co., Pa. Late maker of Kentucky rifles.
Heidelburg, Berks Co., Pa., died about 1887. Fine rifled flintlock Kentucky target pistol, hand-made lock with F. Haldeman engraved on silver inlay.
HALE & FULLER
Hartford, Conn. Underhammer percussion pistol.
HALE, B. J.
Worcester, Mass., percussion period.
HALE, E. & W.
New York, N. Y. Concealed trigger, percussion pocket pistol.
HALE, J. H.
Worcester, Mass. Maker of J. H. Hale under-hammer, percussion pistol.
Gunsmith. Juniper Race, Phila., Pa., 1819.
Fremont, Ohio, 1866-68.
HALK, I. or J.
Lancaster, Pa., about 1790; possibly same as J. Hoake. Flintlock Kentucky rifles.
Riflemaker of New York City, 1845-56.
New York, N. Y., 1850.
Hall, Captain. John H.
Granted a patent on his breech-loading musket in 1811. His arm being brought to the attention of the government in 1813 it was subsequently arranged for Hall to assume charge of , production at Harpers Ferry. In 1816 he left Yarmouth, Maine for Harpers Ferry remaining in that place until 1840. Hall received $20,220 from the government in royalties. Died in Missouri in 1841.
Rifle and gunmaker of Lancaster, Penna., 1873-80.
Lancaster, Pa., 1880.
HALL, Charles, Jr.
Oquaga Lake, N. Y., to about 1897, then at McClure Settlement until 1927. Born 1872; died 1927. Black smith, mechanic and repairman. Made few muzzle loading guns.
Present Richland Co., Ohio, 1800. Gunsmith to In dians.
HALL, E. L.
HALL, George H.
Pittsylvania Courthouse, Va. Made and altered muskets.
Riflemaker of Green Bay, Wise., 1862-75.
Armorer. Was paid $538 12/90, New Emission Currency, (at exchange four for one, equal to $134 48/90 in specie) for re pairing 100 muskets, 1 pistol and 2 rifles at Phila., July 9, 1781.
HALL, John H.
Yarmouth, Maine. In association with William Thornton of Washington, D. C, inventor of the Hall breech loading firelock (flintlock) patented Mar. 21, 1811. Between 1811 and 1816, at Portland, Maine, Hall made a limited number of sporting arms and pistols embodying his system of breech loading. About 1812, Hall adopted his system to the heavier charge of martial long arms, and for a time vainly attempted to have them accepted by the services. Finally in January, 1817, after successful tests of 1813 and 1816, Hall was given a contract for 100 rifles at $25.00 each, for service trials and tests. As a result of favorable reports on his arms, the rifle was officially adopted, and after another period of two years spent at the Harpers Ferry Armory perfecting the mechanism, J. H. Hall received a contract for 1,000 breech-loading rifles bearing his name. In order to insure quantity production and proper con struction, Hall entered government employ as assistant armorer at the Harpers Ferry Armory to supervise the manufacture of his arms, at a salary of $60.00 per month and a royalty of $1.00 per rifle. In connection with the production of these arms, Hall followed in the footsteps of Simeon North, pistol maker, and designed and constructed a number of machines used in the manufacture of his rifles in order to insure interchangeability of parts and facility of manufacture. This was the first in stance of practical standardization of parts in a government arms plant. The necessary rifle making machinery for quantity pro duction was completed between 1819 and 1823, and in the latter year the Harpers Ferry Armory went into production, com pleting the first thousand in 1824, at the cost of $20.59 per rifle, complete with bayonet, flask, bullet mold, wiper, spring vise and screw driver, that amount also including packing and a fee of $1.00, Hall patent right. The second thousand was made in 1827, the cost declining to but $14.71 per stand. In all, 22,870 Hall rifles were made at the Harpers Ferry Armory between 1823 and 1844, on which Hall in addition to his salary and allowances, received $20,220 in royalties on his ma chinery and "privilege of patent rights," to July, 1841. This sum includes $1,600.00 paid his son, after John H. Hall's death on Feb. 26, 1841. In addition to the Harpers Ferry Armory made Hall rifles, many thousands Hall system arms, especially carbines, were made on government contracts by the Simeon North Armory at Middletown, Conn.
HALL, P. E.
Ashtabula, Ohio. Percussion, false muzzle target rifles.
-Riflemaker of Ashtabula, Ohio, 1848-54.
Rifle and shotgun maker of New York, 1846-51, before and after.
New York, N. Y., 1846-50.
East Haddam, Conn. Musket maker to Committee of Safety, Connecticut. Contracted to make 400 muskets with bayonets at 3 pounds, 5 shillings. He completed and delivered 153 stands, completed 70 more which he reported on hand, "also 45 barrels that are bored and 79 that are not, and fit to bore, together with bayonets, loops, breech pins, mountings and stocks."
Hamilton & Son, C. J.
Riflemakers of Plymouth, Michigan. 1932 to date.
North Carolina; making flintlock Kentucky rifles in 1821.
HAMM, A. J.
241 Edgewood Ave., Pittsburgh, Pa. Modern flintlock and percussion rifles, authentic period reproductions; rebuilding, restoration, and repair.
HAMMOND, B. L.
Rim-fire carbine, about 1866-67.
HAMPTON, J. N.
Unidentified. Flintlock Kentucky rifle.
Cut off pistol barrels to size, Springfield Armory, 1808.
Pennsylvania musket maker to Committee of Safety, 1776. Handlin was one of the petitioners, representing gun makers, complaining in November, 1776, to the Committee of Safety against the high cost of materials and labor entering into arms-making, and quoting advances in prices within one year, from 1775.
Philadelphia, Pa., 5-shot percussion revolver.
Mansfield, Conn. Gun-lock maker to Committee of Safety. From June 10, 1776, made 87 double-bridled locks. In April, 1777, made 15 gun-locks. Payment recorded June, 1777.
U. S. Inspector of Contract Arms, 1841-44. In spected arms in the plant of Nathan Starr.
Phila., Pa. Listed as gunsmith at 193 St. John in 1929.
Boston, Mass., 1872.
Riflemaker, 30 Washington St., Boston, Mass. Active 1848-58, before and after.
Shrewsbury, Mass. Born about 1800. Careful workman made all parts of his arms. Shop was located on Oak Street on top of a hill. His house, across from his shop, had been built in 1747. Later lived on Main Street, Shrewsbury. At one time had a sporting goods store in Boston. Died in 1890 and is buried in Mt. View Cemetery.
According lo Sawyer he was born about 1805, died 1890. Active at Shrewsbury, Mass.
HAPPOLD, J. H.
See J. M. Happold.
HAPPOLD, J. M.
Charleston, S. C. Established in 1853 at the corner of Meeting and Cumberland Streets. Maker of duelling pistols, derringers, percussion rifles and shotguns. Business carried on by J. H. Happold, son, who made breech-loading arms in 1883.
Portsmouth, Lawrence Co., Ohio.
Troy, N. Y., in 1840. Percussion Kentucky rifles.
HARDEN, G. W.
Moulton, Iowa, 1853. Came from Ohio in 1848 to build his shop at Moulton. The state at the time was a "hunter's paradise" and Harden specialized in plain stocked but well made, accurate hunting rifles, decorated only on special order. At times did not mark his barrels. Died in 1880.
Williamsport, Pa., late percussion period.
Harder & Son; Harden Jacob E.
Lock Haven and Clearfield, Pa Makers of rifles and shotguns, single, double, triple barrel. Patented an over and under combination rifle and shotgun, June 9, 1885. Active 1873-87, before and after.
HARDER, C. E. & CO.
Unlocated. Kentucky type flintlock pistols.
Riflemaker of Green Bay, Wisconsin, 1868-75.
HARDER, G. W.
Tyrone, Pa. Percussion Kentucky rifles.
HARDER, H. & T. CUSHMAN
Makers of half stock, "mule ear" lock, muzzle loading, percussion rifle.
HARDER, J. E.
Clearfield, Pa. 1886-1890. Maker of Harder breech loading rifles and shotguns.
Lock Haven, Pa., active about 1846-60. Harder was born about 1820, and in 1838 began serving a six years' apprenticeship with Bartlett Brothers, in Binghamton, N. Y. Upon completion, he worked for two years as a journeyman, then opened his own shop in Athens, Pa. Harder moved to Lock Haven in 1860, where his plant, making muzzle loading percussion rifles employed eight gunsmiths. Harder also made cased duelling pistols for Southern trade, as well as multi barreled rifles.
HARDER, Wm. H.
Clearfield, Pa., 3-barrel guns.
Gunmaker of West Las Animas, Colo., 1870-76.
West Las Animas, Col., 1875.
Birchwood, later Soddy (near Chattanooga), Tenn., 19th-20th century. Heavy percussion match rifles of fine accuracy.
Unidentified. Kentucky rifles.
Hardwicke & Schenkle
Arms makers, 57 Elm St., Boston, Mass, 1857 and after.
HARDY, C. E. & CO.
Marking on the lock of a flintlock Kentucky type pistol with barrel marked "H. B." HARKER, C. P. or G. P.- Unlocated. Kentucky rifles.
Sulphur Springs, Ohio, 1851. Heavy bench rifle.
Riflemaker of Sulphur Springs, Ohio, 1847-54.
Unlocated Southern riflesmith. A converted flintlock Kentucky rifle with strap-iron trigger guard, no buttplate; lock (perhaps converted before use) by Longstreet & Cook, Phila. Rifle came from Henry Co., Ky.
Harpers Ferry Armory
Harpers Ferry, Virginia. Authorized by Congress in 1793 it was not until 1796 that production was begun. Active until its destruction by Federal forces April 18, 1861, the early muskets produced here are becoming increasingly valuable to collectors.
HARPERS FERRY ARMORY
Established in 1796, by George Wash ington, who attracted by the ample water power facilities at Harpers Ferry, Va., located at the confluence of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers, selected that locality for the site of one of two Federal armories and arsenals authorized by Congress in the Act of April 2, 1794. Harpers Ferry was named for Robert Harper, who settled there in 1747, and established a ferry across the Potomac. The site consisted of 125 acres of land purchased from the Harper family. Though the construction of buildings and shops was begun in 1796, the first output of arms is recorded in 1801, when 293 muskets were made. During its existence the armory aver aged over 10,000 muskets and rifles annually, and about 75,000 small arms were kept in storage reserve. The armory gained considerable public attention in 1859, through its capture for a day by a rabid abolitionist, John Brown, who, with a party of nineteen others, unsuccessfully at tempted to seize arms for the arming and revolt of Negro slaves. The abortive attempt cost John Brown his life by execu tion. At the time of Virginia's secession, Harpers Ferry Armory was garrisoned by Lt. Roger Jones, U. S. Army, and a detach ment of 45 enlisted men. On the night of April 18, 1861, con fronted with the imminent capture of the armory by an assem bling large body of Virginia militia, Lt. Jones set fire to the arsenal and the armory, destroying over 20,000 stored small arms, and as much public property as possible, and retreated across the Potomac. Some of the arms, equipment and ma chinery were salvaged by the Confederates and were used by them later in the assembly and manufacture of Confederate arms. See Fayetteville Arsenal.
HARRIC, Jason L.
Or Harris. Unidentified. Late flintlock period, before 1825.
Sturbridge, Mass. Percussion pistol.
HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON
Revolver and shotgun manufac turers. The business was established in 1871, by Gilbert H. Harrington and Frank Wesson at 18 Manchester St., Worcester, Mass., in the shops where Wesson had made his rifles. Wesson sold out his interest in 1874, to Harrington, who taking William A. Richardson into partnership, renamed the firm Harrington & Richardson. The plant was moved to Hermon Street in 1876, and later, in 1894, to Park Avenue. In 1880 in addition to their revolver line, the firm obtained license to manufacture shotguns on the Anson & Deeley system. William A. Richardson was born Dec. 20, 1833. Came to Wor cester in 1863 and made gun tools for the Ballard arms. Had worked for Frank Wesson in 1866.
Harrington & Richardson Arms Co.
Worcester, Mass. Successors to Wesson & Harrington. Established 1871, incorporated 1888 and active to date. Gilbert H. Harrington and W. A. Richardson.
Vassar, Mich. Partner of Thomas W. Barnes, post-Civil War; together made two percussion over-under rifle shotguns per week at $20 each.
HARRINGTON, H. B.
Lebanon, N. H.
Pistol maker of Southbridge, Mass. Patented a three-barrel percussion pistol July 29, 1837. This arm possessed but one hammer and nipple, the three barrels being discharged at once. Harrington was active from 1834 until 1841 or later. (Patent Office Report 1851, pg. 144.)
Gunmaker of Sutton, Mass., 1832, before and after.
Sutton, Mass., 1832.
Maker of gun locks and mountings at Philadelphia, t853-60, before and after.
Harris, C. C.
Gunmaker of Georgtown, D. C., before and after 1880.
HARRIS, C. H. & DARLING, W. K.
Otsego, Mich., mule-ear, over under rifle.
Harris, Edwin S.
Gunmaker of New York City, 1867-76, before and after.
Riflemaker of Mjddletown in Paxton, Lancaster County, Penna., 1779-83.
Middletown, Paxton, Lancaster Co., Pa., 1779.
A Committee of Safety musket maker of Maryland. Active 1772-76 and after.
Savage Town, Md., before and after 1772-76. Musket and rifle maker to Committee of Safety.
HARRIS, Jason L.
See Herric, Jason L.
Sutton, Mass., 1832.
Seneca Co., near "Fort Sandoski," Ohio, prior to 1812. First white gunsmith to the Indians. Spoke fluent Seneca.
Baltimore, Md., 1856.
208 Leidersdorff, San Francisco, Calif., 1861-65. (with F. Newhoff?).
Frewsburg, N. Y. A heavy halfstock percussion rifle.
Hart & Bro., B. J.
New York. Produced percussion sporting rifles and single-shot bar-hammer pistols like the Allen. Active 1847-59, before and after.
Hart, B. F.
Riflemaker of New York, 1855-65. Produced a number of heavy “40 rod” guns.
HART, B. F.
New York, N. Y., 1855-65.
HART, B. J. & BRO.
New York, N. Y., 1857 and after. Makers of 5-shot percussion revolvers and single-shot percussion pistols.
Hartford Arms & Equipment Co.
618 Capitol Ave., Hartford, Conn. Makers of .22 caliber single-shot rifles and automatic pistols, 1929-30.
HARTFORD ARMS CO.
Hartford, Conn. .22 cal. sheath trigger pocket revolvers.
Hartig, J .
Rifle and shotgun maker of Dubuque, Iowa, 1862-68, before and after.
Dubuque, Iowa, 1868.
Hartley & Graham
17-19 Maiden Lane, New York. Originally Schuyler, Hartley & Graham this firm was active from 1874 or earlier. In the 8o's became Hartley & Graham, makers of rifles and shotguns. Continued until 1902 when a merger was effected between Remington Arms Co. and Union Metallic Cartridge Co. Hartley & Graham had secured control of Remington after the latter’s failure in 1886. Being also interested in the U. M. C. Co., they merged the two firms as the Remington U. M. C. Co. in 1902.
Erie, Pa. Walnut half stock, percussion smooth rifle.
HARTMAN, P. & J. HAHN
Erie, Pa. Percussion single-barrel shot gun, so marked on barrel.
HARVEL, G. W. & BROS.
Unlocated. Percussion rifle with lock by Henry Elwell.
Harvey, Thomas F,
Born 1795 died 1854. In 1849 Harvey patented a rotating tumbler gun-lock.
HARVEY, Thomas H.
Born 1795, died 1854. Rotating tumbler gun lock: pat. 1849
Harwood, Nathaniel H.
Riflemaker of Brookfield, Mass. Active 1825-40.
HARWOOD, Nathaniel H.
Brookfield, Mass., about 1825-40.
Has dell, T. R.
Shotguns to order, 70 E. Madison St., Chicago, 111. Active 1882-85 he had quit prior to 1889.
HASDELL, T. R.
70 E. Madison Ave., Chicago, 111., 1881-84.
Haskell, George Richards
Born Geneva, New York, Sept. 17, 1825. In 1854 he completed a steel breech-loading rifled cannon the first made in the country. Twenty-five were purchased by the government of Mexico in 1855. The same year with Azel S. Lyman he conceived increasing the velocity of projectiles by applying successive charges of propellant. They experimented over a long period of years at a cost of $300,000 but it was not until April 1891 that the War Department was interested. An appropriation of $55,000 was made for the construction of a “JIaskel Multi-Charge Gun” which was accordingly made at Reading, Penna., of hydraulic forged steel. This gun, an 8-inch rifle, was fired with three charges to a single firing, one charge of slow burning powder and two successive step-up charges of fast burning. These successive charges were located in chambers located beneath the gun and connecting with the bore, exploded their charges as the projectile passed down the barrel after having been started by a small initial charge. The gun was rejected.In 1862 Haskell, with Rat el, produced a rapid-fire machine gun which though it passed government tests was not adopted. In recognition of his efforts the government reimbursed Haskell in the amount of $100,000. He died August 15, 1897.
Painesville, Ohio, maker of rifles with Remington barrels. Born 1827, died June 24, 1882.
Haslett, a native of Ireland, was brought to America by Robert McCormick to assume charge of the latter’s arms factory. This was probably in 1799. After the failure of McCormick, Haslett offered his services to the State of Virginia at $15.00 per week and rations found. In 1806 he was employed making muskets (600) for that state while working in McCormick’s old shop in Philadelphia.On December 29, 1810, Haslett addressed a letter to the Governor of Virginia which states in part, “having served a regular apprenticeship to the Gun-making in all its various branches, both Military and Birding guns, and having manufactured Arms for the Commonwealth of Virginia on my own account and superintended the making of the whole of the arms delivered by McCormick, I hope it will not he supposed that I am not competent.” Haslett was given commission as major during the War of 1812 when he appears to have been operating at Baltimore. Just when he located in that city is not known but he was active until 1817 or later. A number of pistols, of fine workmanship, have been preserved. According to the inscriptions found thereon these arms were made by Haslett in Baltimore. Mr. Calvin Hetrick possesses a small flintlock pocket-pistol length 5L2 inches; side hammer; beaded front sight; "U” rear sight. The trigger guard moves forward to act as a safety. The vent is gold lined as is the entire flash pan. Some years ago a pair of very fine flintlock pistols were offered by Clapp & Graham Company. These possessed superb gold inlay and were finely chased.
Superintendent of Robert McCormick's musket factory. When McCormick failed on a contract with the State of Virginia for 4,000 muskets about 1797, Haslett took over the con tract and completed deliveries. Haslett was born in Ireland and brought to the United States by McCormick of Philadelphia. He established his own place in Baltimore in 1803. Served as a Major in the War of 1812, and was in the Battle of North Point. Haslett was in business until 1824, and his duelling pistols are prized as works of art. He died in Calvert County in 1833.
Also Hazlett. Baltimore, Md., 1804-1824. Listed in the 1824 Baltimore Directory at 28 Water St. Pistol maker.
HATCH, C. P.
Pennsylvania; Kentucky rifles.
Riflcmakcr of Plattsburg, New York, before and after 1850.
Plattsburg, N. Y., before and after 1850. Same as Hatch, W?
Burlington, Vt., early percussion period.
Maker of a full maple stock, brass patch box, 36" octagonal barrel, flintlock rifle.
HATCHER, P. P.
Belmont Co., O. Percussion Kentucky rifles.
Riflemaker. Born in Campbell county, east Tennessee, June 13, 1813. Located a gun . shop in Indiana about two miles from the town of Owensburg, 1845. Produced muzzle-loading rifles exclusively. Bought his barrels in blank form but fashioned his own locks and mountings. He remained active until three days prior to his death on May 31, 1884.
Cleveland, Ohio, 1850-71. Gun manufactory.
Established in Cleveland, Ohio in 1849. Produced sporting rifles and a number of heavy match rifles. Continued until 1875-
Puts Corners, Ulster Co., N. Y., 1800.
HAVER, George W.
105 Hill Ave., Carnegie, Pa. Modern rebuilt flintlock and percussion Kentucky rifles. Learned under Uriah Fisher at Rices Landing, Greene Co., Pa.
HAWES & WAGGONER
Charleston, S. C. Percussion derringers.
Gilbert, Monroe Co., Pa. About 1840-45. Beautiful late Kentucky rifle.
Son of the above, born in Hagerstown, Maryland in 1786. Worked St. Louis, Missouri from' 1820 until his death, May 9, 1849.
HAWKEN, D. T.
Springfield, Ohio. Plain, long-barreled percussion Kentucky rifles stamped with name and address; one reported bought second hand in 1852.
or Hawkins, Celebrated gunsmith who is first found at Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Later he migrated to Hagerstown, Maryland thence to Harpers Ferry, West Virginia and finally to St. Louis, Missouri. He was active at the latter place before and after 1808. Active from 1785 to after 1808. Father to Jacob and Samuel T. Hawken.
HAWKEN, Jacob and Samuel
Famed St. Louis, Mo., rifle makers. Hawken brothers were born at Hagerstown, Md., Jacob in 1786, Samuel on Oct. 26, 1792, of a gunsmith family of Welsh-Dutch Ancestry. In 1821, Jacob Hawken, the elder brother was listed at 214 N. Main St., in the St. Louis Directory. In 1822, Samuel arrived from Xenia, Ohio, where he had operated a gun shop. The brothers opened a new shop at 29 Washington Ave., (the present location of Eads Bridge). Jacob Hawken died of cholera May 9, 1849, the shop being operated by Samuel until 1859, when Samuel Hawken went to Denver, Colo., with his son, also a gunsmith. The operation of the shop was left with William Watt, an old employe of the firm. The family records are meager. Little is known of Jacob Hawken except that he had married Catherine Allison of St. Louis, and that his arms were held in high esteem. His papers were burned during the cholera epidemic and his body was placed in the Mississippi River for burial, so no cemetery records are available. Samuel had been in the service in the War of 1812, and was present at the Battle of Bladensburg. In 1861, Samuel Hawken and his son returned to St. Louis, and a year later sold the "Hawken" shop to John P. Gemmer, a former em ployee, who continued the manufacture of the Hawken rifles, under that name, for a number of years before changing the name. See Gemmer, John P. Samuel Hawken died in St. Louis, Mo., May 8, 1884, and is buried in the Bellefontaine Cemetery.
Hagerstown, Md., gunsmith. Father of Jacob and Samuel Hawken. Active about 1785-1808. The Hawken family, according to tradition, are believed to have been originally of Welsh ancestry. They are said to have left British Isles to escape some form of taxation. There was also a legend that the family had participated in ship raiding and wrecking off the rocky Welsh coast and left the country under Crown pressure. From Rose Abbey, Wales, they emigrated to Holland, thence to Amer ica, eventually settling at Hagerstown, Md. By his wife, Julienne, of Dutch ancestry, he had many children, including at least five boys, of whom Jacob and Samuel migrated West, the other three remaining in Hagerstown to carry on their father's gun smith trade.
Hawken, Samuel T.
Son of Henry, born in Hagerstown, Maryland, October 26, 1792. During the period 1822-60 he appears to have worked at St. Louis; Independence, Iowa and Denver, Colorado.
St. Louis, Mo., maker of a full stock percussion Ken tucky rifle. William S. Hawken was the son of famed rifle maker Samuel Hawken. Was known to plainsmen trade as "Jake Haw ken's nephew."
Riflemaker of Saginaw, Michigan, with a shop on north Water Street. Active 1859-68, before and after.
Schenectady, N. Y., rifle maker 1769-1775. One of four rifle makers induced by Sir William Johnson to come out and settle in New York State by grants of buildings and tools. By 1775 rifle making had become an enterprising industry with most of the settlers and Indians trading their smoothbores for rifles, and New York was second only to Pennsylvania in their manufacture.
Edinboro, Erie Co., Pa. Percussion rifles and shotguns.
U. S. Inspector of Contract Arms, 1840. Inspected arms in the plant of Nathan Starr.
Unlocated. Making Kentucky rifles in 1838.
HAYNES, William B.
Milwaukee, Wis., "Importer, dealer and manufac turer of guns, pistols and maker of Improved Gain Twist Rifle," "Shotguns made to Shoot Close." Located at 228 West Water Street 1847-49 and at 252 West Water 1851-61.
HAZARD & BLAIR
Unidentified. Script monogram die-stamped on the barrel of a percussion Kentucky rifle with engraved patchbox. Four dots in the crossbar of the H.
Heal Rifle Co.
16 Atwater Street, Detroit, Michigan. Produced .22 caliber rifles about 1902-06.
HEAL RIFLE COMPANY
12-18 Atwater St., West, Detroit, Mich. Makers of boy's .22 rifles, lever action, loaded from underneath. John G. Heal was listed as laborer in 1893; in 1901 was secretary and treasurer of the Detroit Brass and Iron Novelty Co. In 1904 the Heal Rifle Co. was at the same address. In 1905-06, called the Detroit Rifle Co., same address. Evidently the enter prise had a limited life as in 1909 John G. Heal is listed as laborer again. The building is now the shipping department of Vernor's Ginger Ale.
Unlocated. Flintlock Kentucky rifle with full curly maple stock. HEATON, Morgan Putnam, Muskigum Co., Ohio. War of 1812. HEATONS, S. E.- Percussion rifle with Remington lock.
Barrelmaker on Wyomissing Creek near Reading, Berks Co., Pa. Member of firm Gougler & Heberlig, Mohnton, Pa. Barrels of double percussion rifle by F. Altmier, both marked "HEBERLIG, READING, PA."
HECKENBACH, John A.
Milwaukee, Wis. Gun maker and designer located at 473 Third Street 1877-78. Patent for a breech-loading firearm, Patent No. 91,624 was issued to John A. Hechenbach of Mayville, Wis., June 22, 1869.
Riflemaker of York county, Pennsylvania. Active from before 1769 until his death in 1779.
York County, Pa., 1799-1822. Flintlock Kentucky rifles.
Gun stocker. Back of 18 Cherry, Phila., Pa., 1819.
Phila., Pa. Listed as gun stock maker at 18 Cherry, in 1829.
Marion, Ohio. Plains type rifle numbered "254."
West Penn Post Office, Penna. Fullstock flintlock Kentucky match rifle with lock by J. Roop.
Atlanta, Ga., operator of a gun shop for the Con federacy, at corner of Whitehall and Alabama Streets (now site of Atlanta National Bank). Employed 12 or 12 hands converting flintlock muskets to percussion "for the Confederate Government and making muskets and rifles for them."
Baltimore, period of 1888, gunsmith.
Shotguns and rifles, Washington St., Tiffin, Ohio.1857-66.
Tiffin, Ohio, 1857-59. Shotguns and rifles.
HELENA LEAD AND SHOT WORKS
Helena, Wisconsin, circa 1840 1870. Active manufacturers of lead for bullet making and of prepared lead shot for hunting purposes. Lead in pigs weighing 75 pounds and bags of shot weighing 25 pounds were hauled by wagon to Milwaukee for distribution in the lake area. Other shipments were made by way of the Mississippi River to New Orleans and thence to New York. After the establishment of rail way ties with the East the lead shot was shipped there directly, or to Chicago, as lead to be used in the Blatchford Shot Tower.
Carlisle, Pa. Double percussion rifle.
St. Louis, Mo. Maker of heavy percussion target rifles with Remington barrels. Listed in St. Louis City Directory 1841 through 1847.
Riflcmaker of San Francisco, Calif. One of his arms exhibited at the Industrial Exposition held in that city in 1857 won second place in firing tests and first prize for beautv of finish.
Primitive work, crudely marked "JOAB- HELTON MAKE" on top flat. Two crude, half stock, percussion rifles, one with wrought iron furniture and Joseph Golcher lock; the other without furniture, cheap "BLUE GRASS" lock not original.
Hemenway, Levi J.
Gunmaker of Shrewsbury, Mass., 1859-68, before and after.
Unlocated. Halfstock percussion rifle.
Troy, N. Y., 1833-34. Kentucky rifles.
Lancaster, Pa., about 1740-50. Kentucky rifles.
Andover, N. Y., precussion period.
Hendrick, M. S.
Gunmaker of Aurora, 111., 1869-75, before and after.
Cutler producing belt knives and axes. Philadelphia, Pa., 1784-90 and after.
HENDRICKS, M. S.
Aurora, 111., 1869-75.
Gunsmith of Philadelphia, 1808-17. Received government contract February 14, 1815 for 1700 stand of arms complete at $14.25, deliveries within two years.
Mill Creek, Pa. Flintlock period.
Philadelphia, Pa., gunsmith and sword maker, listed in the 1814 Directory at 264 St. John St. Active 1808 1817. Henkels was of German birth and parentage and was naturalized at Philadelphia in 1810. He is reputed by the Penn sylvania "Gazeteer" to have been the first in Philadelphia to use steam for manufacturing purposes. Contracted Feb. 14, 1815, for 1,700 muskets at $14.25 per stand to be delivered by Feb. 1, 1816. Examination of a Henkels musket lock-plate dated 1814, shows a typical Model 1808 lock, with a tit-like rear end, and a flat, bevelled edge hammer, in spite of the late date of the contract. Henkels was connected with the Nippes family of gun makers through a second marriage of his mother with Daniel Nippes.
Gunsmith of Lancaster, Pa., 1770-74.
Bozrah, Conn., gunsmith, 1870-71.
Henry & Son, J.
John Joseph and James, Boulton and Philadelphia.
HENRY REPEATING ARMS CO.
New Haven, Conn. Formed July 7, 1865, for the manufacture of Henry patent arms. Became Win chester Repeating Arms Co., May 30, L866.
Henry Repeating Rifle Co.
Manufacturers of the Henry repeating rifles, New Haven, Conn. Ceased operations in 1866. (B. Tyler Henry)
Gunsmith of Lancaster, Pa. 1789-98, before and after. In 1798, with John Graeff, he contracted with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for 2000 rifles.
Lancaster, Pa. Son of William Henry I. In as sociation with John Graeff contracted with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on April 11, 1798, for 2,000 muskets to be marked "CP." Mentioned by his brother, William Henry II, as being addicted to drink. Died Aug. 12, 1811, of "vomiting of the stomach." Was one of the petitioners to 7th Congress on Jan. 28, 1803, for non-removal of import duties on arms. July 13, 1801, in association with Peter Brong and Henry De Huff had proposed to furnish arms to State of Virginia. No record of contract. See Brong, Peter. On Dec. 9, 1807, Abraham Henry contracted with Tench Coxe, Purveyor of Public Supplies, to furnish 200 pair of pistols at $10.00 the pair, and 200 rifles at $10.00 each.
HENRY, B. Tyler
Superintendent in charge of production of the Volcanic Repeating Arms Co., in 1855-57. Had previously worked for Smith & Wesson in the development of their magazine arm later known as the Volcanic. In 1860 was in charge of production of the Henry (his own) patent rifles for the New Haven Arms Co., controlled by Oliver F. Winchester. The Henry Repeating Arms Company formed July 7, 1865, became the Winchester Repeating Arms Co., May 30, 1866. The War Department purchased 1,731 Henry rifles during the Civil War. In addition 10,000 or so were purchased by the states to arm state troops. See Smith & Wesson and New Haven Arms Co. B. Tyler Henry was born in Claremont, N. H., March 22, 1821. He attended school at Claremont until about 16 years of age, when he began serving an apprenticeship in the gunsmith trade, working for a number of years for local gunsmiths. Later worked for Robbins & Lawrence at Windsor, Vt., where he be came familiar with the mechanism of the Jennings rifle, which he later helped to improve into the mechanism of the Volcanic. Tyler Henry left the Winchester firm about 1867, and be came associated with the Henry Spring -Co., of 20 Howard St., New Haven, listed in the City Directory in 1870-71. He died at his residence, 73 Audubon St., New Haven, Conn., June 8, 1898.
Boulton, Pa., living in 1921. Last of the Henry family of riflesmiths.
Gunsmith of Philadelphia, 1777-78.
Philadelphia, Pa., 1777-78.
Son and successor to Janies Henry. Born 1835 anfl active until 1880. Worked at Boulton and Philadelphia. Died 1912.
Of Boston and Philadelphia. Son of James Henry whom he succeeded in the firm. Born in 1835, became his father's partner in about 1860, and was active until 1880. Granville Henry died in 1912.
Son of John Joseph Henry (the second of that name) born in Philadelphia in 1809. Became the proprietor of the Boulton gun works upon the death of his father in 1836. Succeeded by his son Granville.
Son of John Joseph Henry of Philadelphia and Boulton. Born in Philadelphia in 1809. After a partnership with his father at the Boulton works, during which some of the arms produced by the firm were marked "J. J. Henry & Son," James Henry succeeded to the business on his father's death in 1836. In turn, about 1860, he took his son Granville into partnership, the arms being marked "J. Henry & Son." In the interim be tween 1836 and 1860 or so, the arms produced by James Henry were marked "J. Henry." James Henry died in 1894.
Lancaster, Pa., before and after 1759-73. Brother of William Henry I. Had a gun shop just east of his brother's store on the southeast corner of Penn Square.
Henry, John Joseph
Son of the elder William, born Lancaster, November 4, 1758. At fourteen years of age he was apprenticed to an uncle whose name is not recorded. He was taken to Detroit shortly after his apprenticeship began but returned to Lancaster in 1775 where he remained until his death April 15, 1811.
Henry, John Joseph
Associated with his father William Henry Jr. The Henry shop was at Boulton but the greater part of the business was cared for at their office in Philadelphia. Received a government contract in 1808, a report dated October 7, 1812 indicating that 4246 arms had been delivered. During the War of 1812, John Joseph was in charge of the production and repair of public arms for the Committee of Defense at Philadelphia. A relative, Joseph Henry, assisted in this work. On February 16, 1814 Tryon & Henry were given a government contract for 200 muskets and 20 swivels “on Mr. Chamber’s plan of gunnery”. The muskets at $23, swivels at $18 per cwt. On April 6, 1814, Henry contracted to make 100 pistols of the same type. Although frequent reference is made to Chambers’ repeating gunnery in United States Public'Documents for the years 1813 and 1814, a technical description could not be found of this system. Patent was granted Joseph C. Chambers, West Middletown, Washington County, Pa., March 23, 1813 on “repeating gunnery.” It would appear that some of these arms were actually produced as payment was made Chambers by the Council of Safety, Philadelphia, 1814. On February 9, 1815 secured contract for 2277 stand of arms at $14.25.In 1822 John Joseph bought out his brother William Henry 3rd and became the exclusive owner of the Boulton gun works. He died in 1836 and was succeeded by his son James.
HENRY, John Joseph
Lancaster, Pa., gunsmith. Son of William Henry I. Born at Lancaster, Nov. 4, 1758. With an uncle, (brother of William Henry I), John Henry, gunsmith, to whom he was apprenticed at the age of 14, moved to Detroit, where the uncle was in business about 1773-74. Young John made his way back to Lancaster in 1775, after a hazardous journey accompanied by a guide who died enroute. Probabilities are that back in Lancaster he worked in his father's shops. During the Revolutionary War he served in a rifle company and was captured at Quebec. He came back from the War crippled, studied law and was made a Federal judge. In 1810, he had dictated an account of his ex perience at Quebec to his daughter, which account was later printed. He died April 5, 1811, after a long illness. under Act of July 5, 1798, for 500 Charleville pattern, (Model 1795), muskets at $13.40 per stand, of which 235 are known to have been de livered by June 10, 1801. Later, on June 30, 1808, with his son, John Joseph as associate, he obtained a contract for 10,000 mus kets, Model 1808, of 5 years' duration. Of this contract 4.246 were delivered by Oct. 7, 1812, and presumably the entire contract was fulfilled in time
Gunsmith of Philadelphia, 1811-16. Associated with John Joseph Henry working for the Committee of Defense, War of 1812.
Philadelphia arms before and after 1811-1814. Joseph Henry pistols are known marked "J. Henry Phila." Joseph Henry was associated with John Joseph Henry of N. 3rd & Noble Sts., Philadelphia, a relative, in the production and repair of public arms for the Committee of Defence of Phila delphia in the War of 1812. Joseph Henry contracted Nov. 9, 1807, with Tench Coxe, Purveyor of Public Supplies, for 150 pair of pistols at $10.00 the pair, and 300 rifles at $10.00 each. On March 23, 1808, Joseph Henry contracted for an additional 600 pair of pistols and 600 rifles on the same terms.
Present Ross Co., Ohio, 1769.
Riflemaker of 167 High St., Providence, R. I. Active 1859-68, before and after.
Henry, William 3rd
Son of the above and brother to John Joseph Henry. Active 1808 until 1822 when he sold his interests in the Boulton gun works to John Joseph.
HENRY, William I
The Henry firm of arms makers was founded by William Henry (called here First, for facility in identification) of Lancaster, Pa.; son of John and Elizabeth De Vinne Henry, born May 9, 1729, on his father's plantation at West Cain Township, Chester Co., Pa. In 1744, young Henry was appenticed to Mathew Roeser, gunsmith of Lancaster. In 1751, having finished his ap prenticeship, he started his own gunsmithy on Mill Creek in the same town, making Kentucky rifles and arms, principally for the Indian trade. In 1755, William Henry was armorer to the Colonial forces with the Braddock Expedition, and in 1578, saw more military service with the Forbes Expedition against Pitts burgh. In 1758, Henry entered into partnership with Joseph Simons which is believed to have dissolved prior to 1775, though it is mentioned in early records (Journal of Continental Congress Proceedings) as of existence in 1775. William Henry I furnished arms to the Continental troops in 1776, and was authorized to make muskets for the State of Pennsylvania in 1777. He became a member of the Continental Congress in session in New York City in 1785, the year after, Dec. 15, 1786, William Henry I died at the age of 57. His gun making establishment was not mentioned in his will, it is quite likely that he turned it over to his son, William II, some time before his death.
HENRY, William II
Nazareth, Pa. Son of William Henry I. Born at Lancaster, March 1757, and apprenticed to Andrew Albright, gunsmith of Lititz, Pt. He established himself as a rifle maker at Christian Spring in 1778, and at Nazareth, Northampton Co., in 1780. There he trained his sons, John Joseph and William Henry III in the gun making trade. About 1792, in association with two others, he bought a large tract of land at Jacobsburg (in the vicinity) where he had a gun barrel mill since 1780. It is believed that the proof-testing of barrels was done at Jacobsburg, as the Moravian Fathers objected to the firing of guns in the village. The Jacobsburg property was further improved in 1798, by a boring mill (later turned into a grist mill) and about 1808, by a forge and iron works. The Jacobsburg shops were in charge of son Matthew S. Henry; sons William III and John Joseph, oper ating the Boulton and Philadelphia plants, respectively. On Dec. 13, 1797, William Henry II contracted with the Com monwealth of Pennsylvania for 2,000 Charleville pattern, (Model 1795), muskets. He also had government contracts: On Dec. 9, 1807, William Henry had been offered a contract for 150 pair of pistols by Tench Coxe, Purveyor of Public Sup plies, but declined the contract. William Henry II moved to Philadelphia in 1818, to be with his son, John Joseph, and died there in 1821.
HENRY, William III
Younger son of William Henry II. Born at Nazareth, Pa., Aug. 16, 1796. Learned the gun making trade in his father's shops and while working a year or two for his elder brother, John Joseph, in Philadelphia. The Nazareth plant being inadequate to take care of the still unfulfilled portion of the large contract of 1808 for 10,000 muskets contracted for by his father and brother, as well as the additional demands caused by the War of 1812, William III was sent to Boulton three miles northeast of Nazareth, to build a dam, shops and workmen's houses on land owned by the Henry's on Bushkill Creek, and so established the Boulton Gun Works. In 1822, William Henry III sold out his interest in Boulton to his brother, John Joseph. The ruins of the old Boulton works on Bushkill Creek, in the vicinity of Belfast, are still standing.
Henry, William Jr.
Son of the elder William. Started in 1778 at Nazareth, Northampton. County. In 1800 he is found at Jacobs- burg. With John Jacob Henry received a government contract in 1808 on which 4246 arms had been delivered prior to October 7. 1812. Active at Boulton during the War of 1812.
Henry, William Sr.
Son of John Henry and wife, nee De Venny. Colony, Lancaster County, Pa. where William was born in 1729. The Henrys came from Scotland in 1722 and established in Pequa. After serving as apprentice to Peter Roeser 1745-50 he was engaged as armourer to General Braddock’s ill-fated expedition. Establishing for himself he produced arms for the Committee of Safety one of his first contracts for 200 rifles being dated March 23, 1776. He worked at various times at Lancaster, Nazareth and Philadelphia. His shop at the southeast corner of Center Square, Lancaster was described as “a large gun Manufactory and Ironmongery” employing 14 hands. About I757“58 Henry was associated in partnership with Joseph Simons as Simons and Henry. On September 20, 1777, Henry received £i73;i2;6 from the sub-lieutenant of Lancaster County for arms produced and repaired. For the year ending September 1779, David Rittenhouse, State Treasurer paid him £12,493 ;i2 ;ii “on account of arms repaired and manufactured”. A second payment from the state, dated April 1, 1782 and in the amount of £ii,867;6;i carried a notation by Rittenhouse “to be charged to the United States, by order of the Board of War. It would appear that the last mentioned payment was made Henry in his function as “Superintendent of Arms and Accoutrements to Continental Congress/ ' On Thursday, April 23, 1778, a commit tee appointed by the Board of War to inquire into the efficiency of the armourers appointed by Continental Congress reported that “they are convinced that no advantage may arise to the States from a continuance of those now engaged". They “accordingly dismissed Mr. (Thomas) Butler, the former public armourer, and appointed William Henry, Esq., of Lancaster, Superintendent of Anns and Military Accoutrements”. William Henry died December 1$, 1786.
HENRY. J. J.
John Joseph Henry, (the second of that name, whose initials were often written I. I.), the third son of William Henry II, was born at Nazareth, Northampton Co., Pa., on June 17, 1786. After learning the gun making trade under his father, in about 1808, he moved to Philadelphia, where he established a factory at the northwest corner of 3rd and Noble Streets, em ploying 40 to 50 hands. On June 30, 1808, in association with his father, William Henry II, he contracted with the government for 10,000 muskets, Model 1808, duration 5 years. Of these there are recorded to have been 4,246 delivered by June 10, 1801, and presumably the entire contract was fulfilled. On Feb. 9, 1815, he (alone) contracted for 2,277 muskets at $14.25 per stand, to be completed by Nov. 1, 1816. Other than martial arms, the principal outlet of his works was the North American Fur Com pany- John Jacob Astor -and most of the output was shipped through agents in St. Louis to the Pacific Northwest. In addition to the Philadelphia plant, offices and salesrooms where the greater part of the firm's business was transacted, John Joseph Henry was part owner of the Boulton plant estab lished by his brother, William Henry III. In 1822. John Joseph bought out his brother's interest and moved to Boulton, where he later took into partnership his son James, the lock plates thereupon being marked "J. J. HENRY & SON." In addition to long arms at the Boulton plant, John Joseph made Model 1826 type martial pistols, marked "J. J. HENRY BOULTON." John Joseph Henry died in 1836, and the works passed to his son, James. The ruins of the old plant, on Bushkill Creek, near Belfast, are still standing. During the War of 1812, John Joseph Henry was active in production and repair of public arms for the Committee of De fense of Philadelphia. Associated with him in his work was a relative. Joseph Henry, a Philadelphia gunsmith.
See Salisbury Furnace.
Musket maker. Contractor under Act of Julv 5, 1798, for Charleville pattern (Model 1795) muskets at $13.40 per stand. Thirteen hundred dollars is recorded paid on account in 1800 and $2,100 in 1801.
See Moore, Henszey & Co., percussion bar lock.
HEP, Philip, Jr.
Unlocated. Flintlock Kentucky rifle with gooseneck hammer, inlay in place of patchbox.
HEPBURN, Lewis L.
Colton, N. Y. Inventor of the Hepburn back action locks. Maker of an over-under, muzzle loading, percussion sporting rifle.
Heppenstall Forge & Knife Co.
Pittsburgh, Pa. Organized 1889. Produced 1 3-inch antiaircraft gun and t 4.7-inch gun forgings per day, 1918. Now the Heppenstall Company.
Madison, Wis. 1866-1878, Webster Street near King. Made very fine percussion schuetzen rifles and some medio cre hunting rifles and shotguns.
114 Pacific St., San Francisco, Calif., 1858-65.
Riflemaker of Lancaster, Ohio. Before and after 1864-71.
Lancaster, Ohio, before and after 1868-71.
Canton, Stark Co., Ohio. Early.
In association with John Devane established a Public Gun Factory, authorized by Act of April 24, 1776, in the Wilmington District, North Carolina. After production of some one hundred long arms the factory was destroyed by Tory sympathizers.
Philadelphia, Pa. Marking on a barrel of what appears to have been a fullstock percussion rifle.
Gunsmith of York County, Pa. Worked upon public arms 1777-80. Doubtful as to production.
York County, Pa., 1777-80. Payments recorded for repair of public arms.
Unidentified. Copper-mounted, flintlock Kentucky rifle.
Riflemaker of Freasc’s Store, Stark County, Ohio. A fine workman, active 1852-60.
HESS, Philip, Jr.
Operator of a water power rifle factory erected by him at the foot of Blue Mountains in 1832, on the west branch of the road from Saegerstown to Lehighton, about one half mile west of Balliet's Furnace, later known as the old Lehigh Furnace.
Riflemaker of Martick township, Lancaster County, Penna., 1771.
Matrick Township, Lancaster Co., Pa., 1771.
HESS, Solomon and Jonas
Gunmakers who had worked in the Philip Hess rifle factory, and continued in the vicinity after the factory was dismantled.
HETRICH, JOHN & CO.
Newark, Ohio, before and after 1866-70.
Lima, Ohio, modern.
Norwalk, Huron Co., Ohio, 1866-70. "Employed four hands."
Hetrick, John; Hetrick & Co.
Third and Canal Sts., Newark, Ohio. Produced muzzle and breech-loading rifles, active 1858-70.
127 East Wayne St., Lima, Ohio. Produced breechloading rifles and shotguns, 1887-94, continued as repairman to 1911.
Lima, Ohio, before and after 1888-94.
Gunsmith, 25 St. Phillip, New Orleans, La., 1853.
Of the firm Duryea & Heyer, makers of Kentucky type, full curly maple stock, brass mounted, light weight barrel, per cussion fowling piece.
Joseph Huff, manager. Cannon founders to Pennsylvania, 1776-77. (pg. 72, Vol. V, Colonial Records of Penna., Harrisburg.)
or Hiddon. Gun and cannon-lock maker of Philadelphia. Active 1812-42. Received government contract for 300 cannon locks and 200 carronade locks at $8.75, May 19, 1814. Patented a cannon lock August 20, 1834 and April 29, 1842 which was used in the service until superseded by the friction tube in 1862. Meanwhile it had been modified and improved by Colonel Dundas of the British Army and was widely used in the British service. (#29, "Weapons through the Ages” Bilks, U. S. Army Recruiting News, 1935.)
Connecticut. Worked on repair of public arms in July, 1777.
Higgins & Son
West Chesterfield, Mass. Produced rifled gun tubes and shotguns, 1888-91.
61 Foote St., New Haven, Conn. Modern. Small caliber automatic pistols.
High Standard Mfg. Co.
1 71 East St., New Haven, Conn. Makers of Hi-Standard .22 caliber, 10 shot automatics.
HILL, S. W.
Johnstown, N. Y. Stamped on barrel and inside patch box lid of curly maple halfstocked percussion rifle.
Riflemaker of Charlotla, Vermont, 1790-1810.
Carlotta, Vt., 1790-1810.
Hillard, David Hall
Born December 3, 1805. In early manhood he worked with Nicanor Kendall at Windsor, Vt. Established in Cornish, New Hampshire in 1842 and developed the underhammer sporting gun which he produced in great numbers. Died June 10, 1877 an(l succeeded by his brother Geo. E. Hillard.
Hillard, George E.
Cornish, N. II. Brother and successor to the . above. He marked the barrels of the rifles he made with his name or initials stamped on the under side.
Gunsmith of Pottsville, Pa., about 1810-30.
Unlocated; Kentucky rifles. Perhaps related to J. Hillegas, flintlock pistol and rifle maker of Pottsville, Pa.
Gunsmith of Harrisburg, Pa., 1857-75.
Pottsville, Pa., about 1810-1830. Maker of a full stock Kentucky rifle with altered lock marked "SHARPE."
HILLIARD, D. H.
Cornish, N. H., about 1860-1880. Maker of an under-hammer, muzzle-loading, percussion sporting rifle.
Goshen, Conn., 1753. Marking on a full stock, flint lock fowling piece.
Goshen, Conn., rifle and musket maker. Born April 22, 1729, died March 4, 1822. Flintlock musket dated 1758. Early New England 41 % inch octagonal, pinned barrel, flintlock rifle with goose neck hammer and curly maple stock. He also made and delivered 40 muskets, bayonets and belts to the Committee of Safety in 1776.
HILLSBOROUGH GUN FACTORY
Establishment authorized by the State of North Carolina in April, 1776, for which purpose the sum of 1,000 pounds was advanced to Messrs, Nathaniel Rochester, William Johnson, Amrose Ramsey and Dr. Thomas Burke, commissioners for the construction. However, due to diffi culty of securing workmen, tools and materials, the factory never passed beyond the planning stage, and the money was expended for the manufacture of 200 muskets on sub-contracts (for parts) awarded to local smiths, the locks being purchased in Philadel phia.
Boston, Mass., 1745.
Employed as musket barrel maker by Abraham Nippes in 1810.
HINKLE, George J.
Lancaster District, Pa., 1857.
Gunsmith and sword cutler of Philadelphia, 1810-14. Employed seven hands in 1814.
Gunsmith of Pittsburg, Pa., 1855-60. Produced “Enterprise” rifles.
Also Hirthe. Pittsburgh, Pa., 1855-1860. "Enterprise Rifles." See James Bown & Son, and Enterprise Gun Works.
HITCHCOCK & MUZZY
Low Moor, New England. Barrelmakers chiefly, though reported as makers of percussion rifles and pistols, Made underhammer barrels for J. H. Durkee and H. B. Hamilton of Lebanon, N. H.; also barrel (marked "LOW MOOR" of butt stocked rifle by George P. Foster, Bristol, R. I.
Hitchcock, Elmer R.
2104 Telegraph Ave., Oakland, Calif. Rifle barrel maker.
HIXSON, J. B.
Probably Ohio. Script marking on fancy engraved percussion Kentucky rifle, lock marking H pierced by arrow. Similar locks known on another Hixson rifle and one by J. C. M.
Gun-lock maker to Committee of Safety, Con necticut.
Lancaster, Pa. Received payment for 68 gunlocks Aug. 25, 1778. Heavy flintlock Kentucky rifle with bone inlays; also made shotguns.
HOARD, C. B.
See Hoard's Armory.
Hoard, C. B.; Hoards Armopr
Watertown, New York. Produced . 12,800 rifled muskets for the Federal government during the Civil War. Made Freemtn’s patent December 9, 1862, army revolvers also. Active 1863-68, before and after.
Operated at Watertown, N. Y., by C. B. Hoard, Civil War contractor for Model 1861 Springfield Rifle muskets marked "Watertown" and dated: Dec. 24, 1861-50,000 at $20.00 each. 1,500 delivered. Dec. 1, 1863-20,000 at 19.00 each. 11,300 delivered. In addition to the 12,800 muskets, the armory made percus sion revolvers after Austin T. Freeman patent of Dec. 9, 1862, Pat. No. 37,091 of which there is no record of government purchase.
Putnam, Muskigum Co., Ohio.
Chester County, Pa., 1769-71.
Hodge, J. T.
Civil War contractor supplying 10,500 rifled muskets to the Federal government.
HODGE, J. T.
New York, N. Y. Civil War contractor of Dec. 26, 1861, for 50,000 Model 1861 Springfield rifle muskets at $20.00 each of which 10,500 were delivered.
HODGKINS & SONS
507 Mulberry St, Macon, Georgia, 1862. D. C. Hodgkins and his three sons, N. M., Walter C. and T. G, oper ators of a Confederate pistol and rifled carbine factory in a shop back of their store. Sold out to the Macon Armory in the early part of the Civil War. "In 1862 . . . they manufactured for the State of Georgia over $100,000 worth of munitions of war and altered over 2,000 of the old flint and steel muskets into good percussion locks. They are now manufacturing for the Confederate Government rifled carbines. They forge the barrels by hand, which is very tedious and laborious work. We saw the various parts of the guns in process of manufacturing - tubes, locks, ramrods, wipers, plates, mountings, etc, all made by tools manufactured in the shop."
HODGSON & THOMPSON
Baltimore, Md. Brass barrel, flintlock holster pistol.
HOFFMAN & CAMPBELL
St. Louis, Mo. Fine walnut halfstocked percussion rifle with back action lock and engraved German silver mountings. Gold and silver bands at breech, name stamped on barrel. See Christian Hoffman.
Hoffman & Wright
Modern gun and rifle makers, P. O. Box No. 87, Ardmore, Okla.
St. Louis, Mo. 1842-1855, "journeyman gun smith." With Tristram Campbell as "Hoffman & Co," and "Hoff man & Campbell." HOFFMAN & CO.- St. Louis, Mo, 1842-1855. See Christian Hoffman.
Gunsmith. 14 Charlotte, Phila, Pa, 1819.
HOFFMAN, J .V.
Attica, Ind. Heavy percussion rifles. Used locks made by Tyler, Davidson & Co., and by Joseph Goulcher. Hoff man may have sold assembled arms. One of his rifles with a Tyler, Davidson & Co. lock, bore the name "Postley, Nelson & Co." on the bottom of the barrel.
Lancaster, Pa., also Saltillo (?), Civil War period. Over-under percussion rifle-shotgun, two hammers and ramrods.
Hoffman, J. V.
Riflemaker of Attica, Indiana, 1858-68.
Louis Ferdinand Alexander Hoffman, Vicksburg, Miss., gunsmith was born in Berlin, Prussia in 1823. After serving from age of 14, apprenticeship at the Borsig Machinery Shop, came to New York in 1852 and after a short stay in St. Louis settled in Vicksburg in the spring of 1853, working the shop and foundry of Zimmerman & Reading on Levee St. He opened a gunshop, was very successful and built the "Hoffman Block" on Clay St., above Washington, now occupied by O'Neill-McNamara Hardware Co., former employees and now carried on by their descendents. Louis Hoffman was in Vicksburg during the siege and later, at request of Liet. Burdick became master armourer for the Union forces. He made derringer pistols after the Henry Deringer type as well as percussion rifles. Died in 1814.
HOGAN, J. B.
North Adams, Mass., percussion period.
Hogan, John B«
Riflemaker of North Adams, Adams, Mass., 1858-68.
Gunsmith to Committee of Safety, Northumberland County, Penna., 1775-77. Doubtful as to arms production, (pg. 58, 2nd Series, Penna. Archives, Vol. III.)
HOLBURN, Casper L.
Riflemaker of Marseilles, Wyandotte County, Ohio. Active from about 1845 to 1878.
HOLDEN, C. B.
Cyrus B. Holden, Worcester, Mass., about 1864-68 and later. Maker of rim-fire cartridge rifles. Had been foreman in Frank Wesson's shop.
Holden, Cyrus B.
Worcester, Mass. Secured the. following patents. April 1, 1862 #34850; March 29, 1864 #42139. Active 1861-68, before and after.
HOLLAND, W. A.
Boston, Mass. Maker of Holland, saw handle, percussion pistols.
Hollembeck, F. A,
Maker of repeating rifles, 131 W. Water St., Syracuse, N. Y. 1909-T2.
HOLLENBECK, F. A.
Syracuse, N. Y. Invented 3-barrel breech loading shotgun, 1911. Learned gunsmithing under R. R. Moore.
HOLLIESTER, Isaac & Son
Lichtfield Co., Conn., musket barrel manufacturer of early 1800's. Supplied Eli Whitney, Nathan Starr, Lemuel Pomeroy and Springfield Armory.
Gunsmith of Elkton, Maryland, 1773-80 producing musket barrels and bayonets for the Continental service.
Elkton, Md., 1773-80. Musket barrels and bayonets during the War of the Revolution.
With Ralph S. Mershon, both of Zanesville, Ohio, patented a breech-loader and a repeating firearm on February 27, 1855 #12470 and 12471 respectively. Both items had been patented in England on August 1, 1854. On September 8, 1863, Jehu Hollingsworth and Mersliom secured a patent on a "revolving, self-cocking pistol having a reservoir of power created by winding a powerful spring.”
Warrenton, N. C. Percussion halfstock rifle.
HOLLY SPRING IRON WORKS
See Jones, McElwaine & Co.
Colton, N. Y. Percussion rifles.
Holmes, George H.
Made or assembled a number of shotguns and rifles at Defiance, Ohio, 1866-70.
HOLMES, George H.
Defiance, Ohio, 1867-70.
Oswego, N. Y. Heavy barrel, halfstock percussion rifle.
Howell, Michigan, 1859-62, before and after. Produced combination percussion rifles and shotgun, over and under with ramrod on each side.
HOLT, P. M.
Ashtabula, Ohio. German silver and brass mounted percussion halfstock rifle.
HOLT, Rudolph D
Pikeville, Tenn., 19th-20th century. Percussion hunting and match rifles.
Riflemaker of Berks County, Pa., 1845-52, before and after.
Wyomissing Creek, Pa. In 1850 operated a gun shop, which had been built by some unknown gunsmith, and used the creek water power for the operation of the gun barrel boring and grinding machinery. The Holtry shop shut down about 1875.
HOLTZWORTH, W. A.
Flintlock Kentucky rifle.
Percussion match rifle.
HOME & WHEELER
Stevensburg, Culpepper Co., Va. Musket makers, 1799-1802. Proposed to manufacture 1,000 muskets for the State of Virginia, Sept. 24, 1799, at $15.00 per stand. Wheeler is believed to have been later associated with Morrison in a U. S. contract of 1808. See Wheeler & Morrison.
Kentucky flintlock rifle. Probably of Home & Wheeler.
Unlocated. 1775-1806. Musket maker during the Revolu tionary War. Also flintlock fowling pieces and cadet rifles.
HONAKER, Jos. or James
Pennsylvania. Kentucky turkey rifle.
HOOD & FONCANNON
See G. H. Hood.
HOOD FIRE ARMS CO.
Norwich, Conn. Makers of Freeman W. Hood 5-shot, rim-fire cartridge revolver patented Feb. 23, 1875, No. 160,192. See Norwich Lock Mfg. Co.
HOOD, Geo. H.
Columbus, Ohio, 1847-52. Associated with M. B. Foncannon in 1848-49 as Hood & Foncannon.
Hood, H. G*; Hood & Foncannon
A brief partnership during the year 1848. Shop one door south of General Gale’s Union Hotel, Columbus, Ohio. Both workmen were mentioned as long experienced in 1848 but the partnership was dissolved in the spring following. Hood continued to make “guns second to none in the state“ until 1853. M. B. Foncannon moved to New Lexington, Ohio, where he continued until 1855
Rutland, Vt., musket maker 1798-1801. In associa tion with Darius Chipman, Royal Crafts and John Smith, con tracted under Act of July 5, 1798 for 1,000 Charleville pattern (Model 1795) muskets at $13.40 per stand. Of these 575 were delivered before June 10, 1801.
Marking inside lock of Springfield musket dated 1804.
Hopkins & Allen
Established in Norwich, Conn., 1868. In the first twenty years of production ending in 1888 they had supplied 6,000 rifles and about 30,000 pistols. Made but a few percussion revolvers which are now becoming scarce. In the early part of the World War they contracted with the Belgian government for military rifles. Taken over by Marlin-Rockwell about the time of America’s entry into the war. On December 2, 1916 the government contracted for 5 Berthier automatic rifles which were delivered. A second contract for 2,000 of these weapons was awarded on February 2, 1918 but these were not made. (pg. 70, Navy Ordnance Activities of the World War, Government Printing, Washington, 1920.)
HOPKINS & ALLEN
Norwich, Conn., 1868-1915. Makers of rifles and revolvers under the Hopkins & Allen patents and Merwin and Hulbert hand arms. Absorbed during the World War I by the Marlin-Rockwell Corporation.
Sword cutler. Worked at Hope Furnace, Scituate, Rhode Island where he made swords as early as 1760 and continued through the Revolution. (Many references, “The State of Rhode Island and the' Providence Plantations at the End of the Century,“ Edward Field, Providence, n.d.)
Unidentified. Percussion sporting rifle.
Hazleton, Pa., 1820-55. Brother of William Horn.
Horn, Conrad & William
Riflemakers of Hazelton, Pa. They were brothers and active about 1820-1850.
Cumberland mountain gunsmith. Flintlock Kentucky match rifle with Kirkman & Ellis lock.
Riflemaker of Easton, Pa. Active 1770-80, quit gun- smithing to operate a powder mill.
Lancaster and Easton, Pa., about 1770-80.
Hazleton, Pa., before and after 1836. Brother of Conrad Horn.
Wyomissing Creek, Berks Co., Pa. Made finished rifle barrels.
Cape Vincent, N. Y. Percussion rifles.
Horstman & Sons, W. H.
5th and Cherry Sts., Philadelphia, Pa. Produced swords and side arms, 1858-66.
30 Moore St., New York, N. Y. 1801-02.
Hossley, T. J.
Riflemaker. His shop was located in the open woods between E and N Streets, Vicksburg, Mississippi, 1866-75, before and after.
Hotchkiss, Jenjamin Berkeley
Born Watertown, Connecticut, October 1, 1826, son of Asahel and Althea (Guernsey) Hotchkiss. Hotchkiss early displayed an unusual aptitude in mechanics and after a common school curricula he entered a machine shop as an apprentice. Andrew, a brother, was experimenting with a new form of cannon projectile so after completing his apprenticeship, Benjamin joined him in perfecting it. In 1855 they gave a demonstration of this projectile at the Washington Navy Yard but failed to arouse the interest they expected. They continued their efforts and finally, in 1859, deliberately made a present of a supply to the government of Mexico, in i860 several hundred were sold to Japan and toward the close of the same year a small order was secured from the U. S. With the outbreak of the Civil War, large orders for projectiles and other ordnance were received and a factory was established in New York. It is claimed that Hotchkiss supplied a larger number of projectiles than all other manufacturers combined. Among the earlier Hotchkiss inventions were: an improved fuse; a punch projectile for use against ironclads; improved time fuse; improved cannon rifling and a vastly improved projectile. After the war an explosive shell was developed and a packing for projectiles. Secured patent August, 1869, on bolt action rifle in use in the military service 1878-85. This arm, which first attracted attention at the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia in 1876. was known as Modet 1878. In use in both the army and the navy, it was produced by Winchester at New Haven in the rifle and carbine fopri. Hotchkiss secured patent on swinging brcechlock, January 2, 1872 #122465. The Hotchkiss magazine rifle, Model of 1883, was submitted to the Board in 1882 and recommended for field trials. The five shot magazine, like the first model, was placed in the butt-stock and was the last of its kind to be used by the U. S. This arm, an improvement of Model 1878, was produced by Winchester in army models only. With the outbreak of the Fran co-Prussian War he contracted with the French government to manufacture his metallic cartridge cases for small arms. While engaged in this work his attention was directed to the failure of the machine gun then in use and he set about designing a more practical model which was patented in 1872. This arm was distinguished by having five barrels (rifled) grouped around a common axis which revolved in front of a solid breech-lock. This block possessed, in one part, an opening through which to introduce the cartridges and another through which to extract the empty shells. This arm was immediately adopted by the French government and subsequently by the larger nations. Ill 1882 the Hotchkiss & Company was established with headquarters at 113 Chambers Street, New York, and branch factories in England, Germany, Austria, Russia and Italy. Produced Hotchkiss multi-barrel, revolving cannon; single barrel rapid firing field and mountain guns; yacht cannon and ammunition. Hotchkiss died suddenly in Paris February 14, 1885 while working on a machine gun.
HOUGHTON, Richard W.
Norway, Me., percussion period.
Whitneyville and New Haven, Conn., 1866-69. Hammerless, rim-fire cartridge sporting rifle and shotguns made under S. Howard patent of Oct. 28, 1862, No. 36,779, and C. Howard patents of Sept. 26, and Oct. 10, 1865, Nos. 50,125 and 50,358 respectively, and of May 15, 1866. Though marked "Howard Bros. Whitneyville, Conn." the arms were most likely made for them by Whitney Arms Co., whose marking appears on similar models with stamping "Manfd. for Howard Bros."
Gunmakers of Whitneyville and New Haven, Conn., 1859-69.
Chattanooga, Tenn.; 19th-20th century maker of muzzle-loading rifles.
Cleveland, Ohio. Made rifles similar to those of John Vin cent, Washington Co., Ohio, to whom he had been apprenticed.
Percussion target rifle.
Lansing, N. Y., percussion period to 1880.
Howell, C. W.
Riflemaker of Martins Ferry, Ohio, 1855-66, before and after. Produced sporting rifles of the “plains'7 type and heavy match rifles.
HOWELL, C. W.
Martin's Ferry, Ohio. Fullstock percussion squirrel rifle.
HOWELL, H. T. & CO.
Philadelphia, Pa. Flintlock rifle.
Philadelphia, Pa. Lock marking of a Kentucky type flintlock pistol by J. Fleeger. (Connected with W. T. Howell & Co.?)
HOWELL, W. T. & CO.
Lockmakers of engraved flintlocks for Ken tucky rifles. Also makers of a full stock, brass inlay, Kentucky type flintlock rifle.
Unlocated. Walnut half-stock, octagonal barrel per cussion rifle.
Binghamton, N. Y., 1840-70. Ex-employee of Bartlett Bros. Had a shop about eight miles down the Tiouhnioga River from Marathon. During the Civil War made long range sharpshooter rifles with telescopic sights for the government. In Binghamton boarded at 10 Shady Lane.
Howland, Rufus J.
Riflemaker of Binghamton, N. Y., 1840-70.
HOWLETT, J. W.
Greensboro, N. C. Dec. 14, 1861. "Our fellow townsman, Dr. J. W. Howlett, has succeeded in bringing to per fection the most beautiful speciman of workmanship which we have ever seen. The gun is well designed for cavalry use, being about 20 in. in length of barrel, having a very simple lock, which by means of a spring operates so as to easily introduce the cart ridge, of which several kinds are made, some being loaded in cylinders, and others of a waterproof nature. We have seen this piece tested. It will throw a conical ball 200 yards with the utmost precision and the ease with which it can be loaded - say 20 or 30 times in a minute - must recommend it to all."
Rifle-barrel maker, 1167 Myrtle Ave., Brooklyn, N. Y.
U. S. Inspector of Contract Arms, 1818-1833. Inspected arms in the plants of R. & J. D. Johnson (and later Robert Johnson only), Simeon North, Nathan Starr, Asa Waters, Lemuel Pomeroy and Eli Whitney.
HUBBELL, W. W.
Philadelphia, Pa., patentee (and maker?) of Hubbell breech-loading arms patented July 1, 1844, No. 3,649. Advertised in 1849.
HUDSON, H. T.
Portland, Ore. Half stock percussion rifle.
HUDSON, W. S.
Cincinnati, Ohio, 1852-64. Percussion pistols and percussion telescope sight Civil War sharpshooters rifle.
Hudson, William L*
Rifle and pistol maker, 1852-64, Cincinnati, Ohio.
Madison, Wis. Came to Madison about 1875. Worked for August Herfurth for three years and independently from 1878 until 1909. Made fine hunting and target rifles but rarely marked them.
Root Hollow, Tunkhannock Co., Pa. Percussion period.
Unlocated. Marking on the lock of a percussion Ken tucky rifle.
Hughes & Phillips
Gunmakers of Newark, New Jersey, 1860-63, before and after.
HUGHES & PHILLIPS
Newark, N. J., 1862-63.
Old Slip, N. Y. 1801.
Hughes, Samuel and Daniel
Operated a cannon foundry at Antietam, Cecil County, Maryland. On January 30th, 1776 the Council of Safety appointed George Mathews as cannon founder and sent him to the Hughes Works. On March 20th following, the Committee of Safety of Baltimore wrote the Council of Safety that “we are sorry to inform you that 4 out of 5 cannon at Mr. Hughes burst and killed poor Mathews". This disaster did not halt production and after .some experimenting the difficulties of construction were overcome and cannon were supplied the Continental forces. After the Revolution a lull in ordnance followed which was interrupted by receipt of a government contract dated June 28, 1794. This contract covered 5° ^ron cannon to carry 32 pound ball; 50 cannon to carry 24 pound ball and 90 iron cannon to carry 24 pound ball, suitable for frigates or ships of war. Deliveries were to be made by first of May, 1795, at $106.66 per ton for the guns. A second contract dated October 25, 1796 followed. This covered 40 iron cannon to carry 12 pound shot, deliveries on or before May 1, 1797 and the price $133.25 per ton. During the War of 1812 Hughes received, on December 16, 1813 a contract for 40 24-pounder iron cannon at $133.50 per ton and 60 24-pounder carronades including their beds at $139.00 per ton. Deliveries were completed by August of the following year. cf. Archives of Maryland, Browne, Baltimore, 1893, Vols. XVI, XX, XXI many references.
Hughsted or Hughstead, A.
Riflemaker of Ripley, Brown County, Ohio. A fine workman, active 1848-54, perhaps before and after.
Wyomissing Creek, Berks Co., Pa. Welded and finished rifle barrels.
Shaftbury, Vt. 1840-65. Flintlock and percussion.
Gunsmith. Sansome's Alley above Noble, Phila., Pa., 1819.
U. S. Inspector of Contract Arms, (boarding pikes and ship's cutlasses) in 1808 at plant of Nathan Starr.
Humason & Bro., S. H.
Riflemakers of Rochester, Minn., 1868-70, before and after.
HUMASON, S. H. & BRO.
Rochester, Minn., 1868-70.
Son of Peter Jr. Born on a farm in Thorn Township, Perry County, Ohio, December 1, 1806. Studied with his father and established for himself at Somerset, Ohio about 1833. Active until his death in May, 1865.
Son of Peter Humberger II. Born in Perry County, Ohio, Dec. 21, 1806. Served in his father's shops and later established himself at Somerset, Ohio. Died in May, 1865.
Son of Peter the elder and Mary. Born August 29, i8ii in Thorn Township. Peter Jr., Adam and Henry were brothers, Ilenry being the most skillful of the three. He followed the gold rush to California returning to Ohio in 1851. Later he purchased a farm in Whitcly County, Indiana and continued as a gunsmith until the last day of his life. The existing rifles made by the Humbcrgers which the writer has been privileged to examine all show careful workmanship. They are all sturdy, serviceable arms of generous lines. On some of the earlier weapons the name is given as Humbarger. The following interesting extract is taken from the Thornville News of Thursday, October 1, 1903. “Peter No. 2, his brother Adam who died at Somerset and Henry were gunsmiths. Peter 3rd, his son who died in recent years, gave me an interesting history of the revolving pistol. He told me he well remembered when he was a young man that Adam, Henry and his father met in his father's shop on the Peter Ilum- berger Farm in Hopewell to bold a consultation about making a double action trigger. He distinctly remembered that Adam and Peter appointed Ilenry for the task, as he, in their estimation was the finest workman of the three. This conference was held in the spring of 1832. Henry completed the double action and made a great many of the so-called pepperbox revolvers the same year. “Mike King told me the same thing, that Henry made the revolver, and the first time he ever heard one discharged was at a log raising on the old Mike King farm. After the raising was completed they hoisted Henry and while they had him itp he raised both hands, with a revolver in each, and fired them oft* alternately, now one and then the other. He sold many of these pepperbox revolvers. His friends urged him to apply for a patent for it. His reply was that it amounted to nothing except to shoot off New Years. “When he worked on a gun anyone could visit his shop and watch the progress he was making. Colt of New York heard of the revolver Henry Humberger had made and sent one of the workmen out of his shop to Somerset, who bought of William Brown one of the original pepperboxes for Colt. He also visited the shop and watched the progress of the work, then almost completed. When this workman, who was very shrewd and a fine workman, returned to Colt it did not take them very long to finish a gun on Henry’s model and apply for a patent. “Then the manufacture of the Colt revolver went on * * * until some difficulty arose between Colt arid his agent. The agent claimed one-half of the proceeds on the sale of these guns and Colt refused. The agent then quit Colt’s shop and went to work for another gunsmith by the name of Allen. After he had told Allen how Colt had obtained his patent, Allen and he went to work manufacturing the same gun. This brought on a lawsuit between Colt and Allen for infringement. At this lawsuit Henry and Adam were both witnesses. The result was, as Colt had first applied for a patent, it belonged to him although it was proven and Henry was honored as the true inventor.”
Son of Peter I. Born Aug. 29, 1811, in Perry County, Ohio. After following the gold rush to California, re turned east and established himself in Whitley County, Ind.
Humberger, Peter 3rd
Born on a farm in Hopewell Township near Glenford, Ohio, October 8, 1826. Learned his craft from his father and active until his death, February n, 1899.
HUMBERGER, Peter H
Son of Peter I. Born in Pennsylvania Dec. 1, 1775. Moved to Ohio with his father in 1791. Learned the trade under his father and set up own establishment in Perry County. Active until his death April 19, 1852.
HUMBERGER, Peter I.
Active in Pennsylvania from about 1774 to 1791 when he moved to Perry County, Ohio.
HUMBERGER, Peter III
Son of Peter II. Born in Perry County, Ohio, Oct. 8, 1826. Learned the gun making trade under his father. Active until his death, Feb. 11, 1899.
Humberger, Peter Jr.
Born in Pennsylvania, December 13, 1775, coming to Ohio with his father in 1791. Learned of his father and established a gunshop in Hopewell Township, Perry County, Ohio about 1806. Active until his death April 19, 1852.
Humberger, Peter Sr.
Gunsmith of Pennsylvania where he was active 1774 or earlier. Migrated to Perry County, Ohio in 1791 and was deeded a farm in 1803. Father of a family of ten children, these being in order of birth, Peter, Adam, Susan, Peggy, Hannah, Jacob, Benjamin, Henry and Polly. Active until 1811 or later.
Louisville, Ky., 1782. Maker of Kentucky rifles. Located near present 12th and Main Streets.
Unidentified. Flintlock Plains rifle.
Lebanon, Pa., peercussion period.
Maker of a curly maple, half stock, back action G. Goulcher lock, .32 caliber percussion rifle.
Pawtucket, R. I. Musket maker. Associated with Stephen Jenks in a contract under Act of July 5, 1798, for 1,500 Charleville pattern (Model 1795) muskets at $13.40 per stand. There were 1,050 delivered by June 10, 1801.
Unlocated. Flintlock Kentucky rifles.
Hunt, David S.
Shotgun maker of Cincinnati, Ohio, 1858-60.
HUNT, David S.
Cincinnati, Ohio, before and after 1860.
Richland Co., Ohio, gunsmith. 1806-1812. Traded with Delaware Indians.
Lockmaker, percussion period. A commercial, side-action, percussion lock stamped "HUNTER" and three impressions of a floral die. Stirrup on tumbler. Lock on S. J. Fosdick, Laporte, Ind., half stock plains rifle.
HUNTER ARMS CO.
Fulton, N. Y. Modern. Makers of L. C. Smith & Fulton shotguns.
Hunter Arms Co., Inc.
67 Hubbard St., Fulton, N. Y. Produce the “L. C. Smith,” “Smith” and “Fulton” shotguns. Active 1920 or before, incorporated 1921 and active to date.
Gunsmith. With Peter Tight of Berkley County, Virginia, he contracted to make 200 stand of arms for the State at £6, Virginia currency each. This was on September 28, 1776.
Berkley County, Va. In association with Peter Light contracted Sept. 28, 1776, to supply the State of Virginia with 200 muskets at £6 per stand.
Stafford County, Virginia. Supplied swords and small arms to the state, 1780-81. Reported 1,000 swords on hand, November 22, 1781. (Pg. 531, Vol. II, Calandar of Virginia State Paper, Flourney, 1893.)
Stafford County, Va. Musket and saber contractor to Virginia during the War of Revolution, owner and operator of Hunter Iron Works also known as Rappahannock Forge. From mention of difficulty of obtaining sufficient workmen and ability to turn out 1,000 cavalry sabers in three or four months, in addition to gun contracts, believed to have operated a fairly large establishment. See Rappahannock Forge.
Hunter’s Rappahannock Forge
Falmouth, Virginia. Active during the Revolution supplying the Continentals in Virginia with muskets.
HUNTER'S IRON WORKS
See Hunter, James and Rappahannock Forge.
Walpole, N. H. Musket maker. In associa tion with John Livinston, Josiah Bellow and David Stone con tracted under the Act of July 5, 1798, for 1,000 Charleville pattern (Model 1795) muskets, at $13.40 per stand, of which 608 were delivered by June 10, 1801.
Windham, Conn. Musket maker to Com mittee of Safety, Connecticut. Made 340 stands of arms between 1775 and 1778.
Repaired public arms for Connecticut. Ac count rendered in July, 1775.
Allenville, Pa., Kentucky rifles.
HUNTOON, Harlee J.
Ludlow, Vt. In late 1880's formed partnership with Norman Brockway and continued making Brockway rifles for about 20 years. Heavy, super-accurate percussion and pellet primer match rifles.
Gunsmith of Boston, Mass., 1816-25. Doubtful as to complete arms.
Boston, Mass., 1816-25.
HUSE, R. P.
Manchester, N. H. Percussion pistol.
Gunsmith, Phillip corner Levee, fourth district, New Orleans, La., 1853.
Gunsmith, 177 Circus, New Orleans, La., 1853.
HUTCHINSON, R. J.
Williamsport, Pa. Kentucky rifles.
Unlocated. Percussion pistol.
Riflemaker of Lancaster, Penna., 1803, before and after.
Lancaster, Pa. Petitioner to 7th Congress on Jan. 23, 1803, for non-removal of import duties on arms. In 1823 built a factory in Heidelburg Twp., Lehigh Co., Pa.
Also Hyslop. New York, N. Y., 1850.
Charleston, S. C, 1867.
Hyde & Goodrich
Confederate gunsmiths at New Orleans, La., 1862-65.
HYDE & GOODRICH
New Orleans, La. Located at 15 Chartres in 1853. Makers of Confederate shoulder arms and importers of arms for the Confederacy. Their name marked on British made Tranter percussion revolvers.
HYDE & SHATTUCK
Hatfield, Mass., from about 1876 to April 1, 1880, when it became C. S. Shattuck. Makers of "American" single shot, tip-up shotgun.
|Sitemap: in Italiano | auf Deutsch | in English ||
|http://www.earmi.it - Enciclopedia delle armi © 1997 - 2003|